Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2009, 16:08   #16

Boat: Nordhavn 47
What is it about wood that is so maintenance intensive compared to fiberglass? Do you know they require more repairs or just assuming so as they are less likely to be maintained appropriately?

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 16:09   #17

Boat: Careel 22
Post You're right David

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
The first aircraft were also built of wood and canvas. No disrespect for wood boats, I love their beauty as well. The fact still remains that if wood was a superior, more economical material, then we would see new commercial vessels being made of wood. For production boats fiberglass/plastic molded boats are most cost effective. For smaller custom made boats, its aluminum or steel.

Insurance companies are indeed hesitant to insure wood boats because there are too many unknowns and a greater frequency of them sinking, on a same hull material basis. Some boatyards refuse to haul wood boats for fear of breaking them.

If money matters then stick with a material where there are fewer unknowns and prices for repairs are less and the frequency of repairs are less.
G'day David,

Yes mate, you hit the nail right on the head when you say:
For production boats fiberglass/plastic molded boats are most cost effective.

Any boat builder, if he's honest, will tell you right up front, he would rather build a vessel in plastic and make a bigger profit for himself!
Building the same vessle in real timber, not ply, would cost much more for materials and good carpenters don't come for a song either and that would reduce "his" profit...A lot.

If I had the space...and the time, I would seriously look at building a cat like this Aussie $21,000, 30 foot+ Catamaran! She's not built in full timber, she's built in ply and glass. But I would build a larger one, say 40' and talk with a good boat builder for building her stronger.
You can see the full details, with pictures from woa to go on the water here As a day sailor/week-ender, I reckon she's a little beaut and so easy to build.

We all have different preferences...Thank God, it would be a boring life if we all liked and went for the same things

Cheers mate.

Bill AU
Old 31-12-2009, 01:21   #18

Boat: Careel 22
G'day Mule :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Bill,

Here ya go Mate, though this is kindda out of the way for you it will fill the bill to pilot across the Pacific. This boat has been on the market for a long time, I reasearched it b4 I accepted the fact that it was wayyyy more than needed.

This is an estate sale, the PO fell off the new aluminum roof, and died under the boat, graveyard dead. Real shame. Anyway the son has had it for some time (well over a year, maybe 2) and though the rejplacement cost is many many times over the asking no one appears interested. He may be ready now. I would think under 70.

The yard it is in is rumored to be one of the highest priced on the east coast, but with minimal work she should be able to be made seaworthy to get it to Central America for more reasonable skilled labor to bring it to top noch condition. I was told the hull is excellent xcept for a few planks on the transom and that all other systems are a go. Needs a new shoe, overall minor stuff.

1980 Beebe Passagemaker Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com=

Next here is a beautiful boat that also is built like a brick shi+ house, though both of these are wood I would venture to say Mr West Systems and the future buyer could make an arrangment that would negate the wood aspect.

This second boat is not for a Pacific Crossing but still interesting. Built to US Navy Military Specifications....Nuff said about that. Had the wife consented to a full time live aboard, house sold, I would have gone for this one. Instead we bought a Mainship 34. But this is such a pretty boat. Anyway, here it is.

1953 U.S. Navy design Pilothouse Liveaboard Cruising Trawler Commercial Boat For

W/O additional tankage, at best only 1064 mile mathematical range , w/o the 20% cushion, so it either gets shipped or modified to get down under.

There you go.
G'day Mule and mates,

After thinking things over, I decided to have a chat with Oz custome and have decided a power boat from the States "may" be the way to go
I can't afford the US Navy Pilothouse never mind shipping her then paying the tax and import duty but...I can afford another trawler type cruiser, and if I leave her as she is, do the upgrade here in Oz, then the tax and duty will not be to bad at all
The trawler I'm looking at is a 50 footer...well mate, I was looking at buying a 50' Piver here in Oz but she needs to much work on her, so...I'm again looking in the States

I'll let you know how things go.

Cheers mate.

Bill

PS. From what info' I have, I would need a 47 or 50' Trawler with long range tanks to make the return trip.