Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2011, 18:54   #16
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Singlehanding

boaty is right. I might also contrary offer that you are in much more danger if you don't take the time to sleep effectively. heaving or otherwise
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 19:05   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I have done a bit, a few overnights. Once three nights, but that was not planned. It can be rough. Also, where I sail there are very few other boats, around Newfoundland. Even then you have to be careful, I got caught in a fish net in the middle of nowhere.

When single handing it is a requirement that you sleep at any time that you can. I carry TWO mechanical kitchen timers and set them to go off in 1/2 hour intervals. I rig the radar and chart plotter so I can see it from my bunk. I sleep in the cockpit during the day when sailing to conserve energy. TWO kitchen timers. For me 3 to 5am are tough, very foggy in the head, hard to think.

Also get and read this:

Amazon.com: Singlehanded Sailing: The Experiences and Techniques of the Lone Voyagers (9780070281646): Richard Henderson: Books

EDIT: Just reread your OP. Get the above book, now.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 19:10   #18
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Doug86... its a misconception shared by many that COLREG's is a legally binding set of regulations like the Highway Code or something where a cop jumps out from behind a bush coz you did'nt stop at a junction... regardless that there was nothing coming and book you... take you to court and have you banged up or fined.
In fact its a set of recommendations designed to produce some form of order on the open sea's.... its illegal to sleep underway solo in a harbour/waterway.... but at sea... whole different ball game baby... and long may it stay that way...
True, COLREGs are not laws to be enforced like a cop catches you out of your lane.

But COLREGs are definitely used when determining fault in an accident. They may be used as the basis for you being sued, put in jail, and/or your insurance company refusing to pay your claim.

So, not following COLREGs may not get you a ticket, but they most definitely have legal significance even on the open sea.

So, you are right in pointing out that many people have a misconception about what they are. I just think your explanation went too far the other way.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 19:11   #19

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Aireflow,
Singlhanding is fine for a single overnighter IF you can remain awake and on watch. It would be irresponsible to go further than you can remain on watch without sleeping, however. It is also an absolute requirement of international maritime law, to always remain on watch.
I have singlehanded when I was young and irresponsible, but now I know better.

You just wouldn't believe the close calls I have had... A LOT of boats go by within 50' without anyone on deck... Happens all the time. My wife nodded off during her watch once, for 10 minutes or so, she woke up screaming! We were about to "T" bone a tanker that was sitting motionless, about 100' in front of us. This was 500 miles from land!

**** happens all the time. I suggest you get a crewmember.

Mark
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 09:14   #20

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)

I would immagion that it would be possible to stop if you felt the need.

If you got too tired, and where in a location that was reletivly safe, I would think you could deploy a decent sea anchor, set up your radar reflector, and lights, and then head below for a good sleep. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to set up a area alarm if you've got one on a radar.

Your not going to run into anyone, and even poor watchs should be able to avoid a boat that isn't moving. Well, unless there isn't a watch at all, in which case they run the risk of runing into any other peice of junk that's in the ocean as well.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 09:39   #21

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViribusUnitis View Post
I would immagion that it would be possible to stop if you felt the need.

If you got too tired, and where in a location that was reletivly safe, I would think you could deploy a decent sea anchor, set up your radar reflector, and lights, and then head below for a good sleep. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to set up a area alarm if you've got one on a radar.

Your not going to run into anyone, and even poor watchs should be able to avoid a boat that isn't moving. Well, unless there isn't a watch at all, in which case they run the risk of runing into any other peice of junk that's in the ocean as well.
We do this all the time fishing offshore. We never drift very far and always turn in for 4 or five hours while the gear sets.
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 09:39   #22

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Capt58 has the right idea, it's the only way to single-hand and stay alive. Planning is paramount. Don't sleep in shipping lanes, commercial ships move fast and don't keep good watches themselves. Stay OUT of shipping lanes if you can't be awake. Stay out of them even if you can, you don't need to be in a shipping lane/marked channel with a small boat. Don't arrive at night, in bad weather, at a port you're unfamiliar with when you're so damned tired you can't think. Plan, well offshore to drift/heave to/sea anchor and sleep so you can get where you need to be with your head on straight. What's your rush? Single-handing requires patience. Wait out bad weather, be alert enough to know what you will do in any situation you can imagine, know your boat thoroughly, reef early, tether yourself always. Figure on Murphy's Law activating itself:-)
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 10:29   #23

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

This thread seems to me to exemplify the very diverse attitude there is within our community towards singlehandling, from 'don't' to 'you just have to...'.
I am NOT going to describe how I go about (I find it difficult to explain to those who haven't, and superfluous for those who have) but rather insist on the learning curve...
Singlehandling is something you must first try (c. 36 h) to see whether it suits you as a person (e.g. your attitude towards risk taking, because, yes, it involves some amount of risks) and if the answer is (or seems) positive, then you must discover by trial and error what is your style, specially as far as sleep is concerned.
But also a great familarity with the use and limitations of AIS, radar... is mandatory, as well as a good capacity for assessing the weather conditions and planning routes.
Obviously, singlehandling the vessel should not be a problem in most conditions.
In a word, being as accomplished a sailor as it is possible.

It happens that I have just read
'Thoughts, Tips, Techniques and Tactics for Singlehanded Sailing'
by Andrew Evans
http://www.sfbaysss.org/includes/click.php?id=1
mentioned recently in another thread. I would rate it excellent... but obviously no substitute for trying and learning the hard way...
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 15:21   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post

It happens that I have just read
'Thoughts, Tips, Techniques and Tactics for Singlehanded Sailing'
by Andrew Evans
http://www.sfbaysss.org/includes/click.php?id=1
mentioned recently in another thread. I would rate it excellent... but obviously no substitute for trying and learning the hard way...

Thanks Dude!

Today, reading about the Quest murders I got really worked up. Your post sent me to that link and I just finished Chapter 1. He had me nailed. It gave me a good laugh that I really needed.

Thanks again.
Old 23-02-2011, 18:56   #25
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Contary to what was said here the COLREGS are legally binding on IMO signature countries

Dave
Old 23-02-2011, 20:32   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
hmmm.... perhaps you could provide us with an example where someone was charged with "singlehanding"?

Operating a vessel by yourself is not illegal, and I don't think you can come up with a single instance when, absent some other issue, a person in the USA was given a warning, fined, cited, charged or convicted of operating a vessel while single handed.

Failure to keep a proper lookout is contrary to the published Rules of the Road (rule #5) and some people incorrectly assume that, because a single handed crew will eventually have to take his eyes off the water that they are by definition in violation of the Rule...other folks can point out that even boats with multiple crew members often fail to "keep a proper lookout". The proper lookout issue isn't in any way tied to how many people are on board, at least not in any strict reading of in the Rules. For instance, it is certainly reasonable to think that you could keep a proper lookout all by yourself when moving your boat from a marina to a fuel dock that is a mile away.

In almost every case, one would have to be involved in some kind of collision before any authorities would find that you had violated a rule, and in most of those cases, the penalties are civil, not criminal.
It's of course not illegal to singlehand but if it comes down to a court case, a singlehander could be found partially or fully guilty of the collision for not standing a proper watch. If you singlehand, you take greater chances. I'm not going to moralize.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 21:36   #27

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

I singlehandled my boat for ten years and it always amazes me when people autimatically think that a singlehandler is stupid enough to put his own life or the lives of others in danger.

The judgemental ones, as a general rule, have never done very much off-shore or long distance sailing. So their statements are theory and not fact.IMO

There were numerious times that I came upon sailboats that were under way with an empty cockpit. When I came within hailing distance, a crew of tour or five would appear from below. I can recount many stories of mishaps by fully crewed boats where the entire crew was down below.

Blame for incompetent seamanship is the fault of an individual and not a class of boatowners / sailors.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 23:48   #28

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin

As I get closer to launching my home built 34 foot schooner [used to be cutter], I find threads like these more useful. I used to occasionally single hand my 35' schooner but for only a day or two. Now I will doubtless single hand most of the time - including offshore to Mexico and beyond. These well though out, carefully worded posts are invaluable. This website is such a treasure trove of experience and information. My thanks to all who contribute.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 01:32   #29

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Thanks Dude!

Today, reading about the Quest murders I got really worked up. Your post sent me to that link and I just finished Chapter 1. He had me nailed. It gave me a good laugh that I really needed.

Thanks again.
How do you read it? I cant read half the page then jerk up to read the other half, what happened to word

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 04:47   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
How do you read it? I cant read half the page then jerk up to read the other half, what happened to word
Huge monitor and BIG glasses!

If that fails, PRINT.

Tags
singlehanding