Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2020, 10:18   #1

Speed of swells

Marine weather forecast give estimates of wave heights an frequency. When in a following or quartering sea, I find it much more comfortable to travel at the same speed as the waves to minimize yawing or plowing. I do it by just looking, but is there a way to estimate the forward speed of a wave based on the estimated wave heights and frequency?
chbpresent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:34   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Speed of swells

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, chbpresent.
Wave Speed = Wavelength x Wave Frequency

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chbpresent View Post
Marine weather forecast give estimates of wave heights an frequency. When in a following or quartering sea, I find it much more comfortable to travel at the same speed as the waves to minimize yawing or plowing. I do it by just looking, but is there a way to estimate the forward speed of a wave based on the estimated wave heights and frequency?
When the waves are passing under you, you're still too slow. If you start overtaking waves, you're going too fast. It will be almost impossible to to travel at exactly the same speed. A calculator will not help with this beyond academic curiosity.

Your better off travelling just slightly faster, rather than just slightly slower.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:14   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Amen. Your hull and rudder is designed to have water flow fore to aft only. If you go slower than the waves, you are trying to steer in reverse during one part of the wave.

As long as you are engaged in an academic pursuit, realize that the water actually doesn't move with the waves. The water is tracking an oblong-on-end circuit, up at the front and down at the back. The wave in the next second is filled with different water. A wave travelling the length of a slinky spring is a good analogy. Another, if you lay a rope down on the ground in a straight line and then whip a wave into it, the wave travels down the rope, but does not move the rope more than up and down.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:33   #5

Boat: Outremer 50S

I suspect you are looking for the wave/swell "celerity", which is the apparent speed of the peaks or troughs over the ground.

Quote:
Wave celerity - The speed at which an individual wave advances or “propagates” is known as the wave celerity. For a deepwater wave the celerity is directly proportional to the wave period, T. The formula for deepwater celerity, Co, is Co =1.56T m/sec = 5.12T ft/sec. Note that the deepwater wave celerity does not depend on water depth. Source
For a calculator that includes the effects of depth (which strongly affects celerity in water that is shallow enough for the wave to "feel" the bottom) look at this linear wave calculator.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:35   #6

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I've never personally experienced the reverse steering thing. Typically, at least on most powerboats that I've seen, there's enough prop wash at lower speeds that the rudder still operates normally. But at lower speeds, the waves push the hull more than they would if speeds were closer or the boat were faster than the waves. And the lower forward speed and reduced prop wash gives reduced rudder authority, both of which contribute to more trouble keeping the boat on course.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 13:05   #7

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

From experience; I find that wave "speed" in the conditions I travel in, is between 11 and 15 knots. If I find the right speed I can sit on the face of a wave for 5 to sometimes 10 mins, its a good feeling to feel the engines "lighten up" and see the fuel consumption drop, often to 1/2 of normal.
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote