Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2016, 13:54   #31

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Re: Spending the night on the ocean

A big sportfisher is out of the equation. Too expensive and can not be trailered. It would be sweet if I had a few million dollars to buy and keep one.

On a 26 - 28' center console boat how do you stay out of the rain? And how much dew comes down during the night? Looks like the bean bags might be something to consider. Thanks for that idea.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 13:56   #32

Wow , I believe what the OP wanted to know was can you anchor overnite in the ocean for fishing and such !!! Sure we did it many times off Daytona and St. Augustine . Put up some kind of bright lite , fish till ya get sleepy . No big deal . You will not be alone , we usually were surounded by shrimpers or grouper boats .
Perstarebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 14:07   #33

I am wondering if a boat like the pro-line 2950 if I could catch some shuteye in the cabin while on the ocean.

Now wondering and thinking like others have said are a sweatbox w/o A/C.

Without a cabin it seems like the bean bag sleeping in the open is doable. Now if it rains or a heavy dew might make that difficult.

Old 21-04-2016, 14:13   #34

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Still not clear to me if you are talking about spending time in the open ocean drifting or at anchor someplace in the Keys. Or maybe something like fishing for swordfish at night in the Keys.

While it is always a good idea to have someone standing watch no matter what the circumstances there are lots of boats who do not follow this advice. As others have posted this can even be a problem with large military or commercial ships.

One of my standard rants is that many folks buy boats for what they think they are going to do, not what they actually do. An open console can both a plus or minus. But for Florida a canvas dodger with windows to protect from spray and cold (yes it can get cold in Florida) means it is mostly a plus. Security is the only thing a small cabin would offer but even then the locks are mostly a joke and easily defeated. It is quite possible to get some type of canvas tent to really expand the sleep are in an open console.

I would also point out that for anchoring many of the power boats I see tend to scrimp on ground tackle. Not trying to start an anchor thread, just saying good ground tackle is a must. And a redundant anchor alarm system.

Drifting in the open ocean is a whole different can of worms. The key here is understanding where the heavy traffic shipping channels are and where somewhat safer areas are. Still this is not something I would suggest anyone do.

Just my two cents buy before you buy you might consider hooking up with some local fishermen with different types of boats. It is common to find folks who will take someone out for part or all of the cost of gas and maybe a little food or drink. This would allow you to better understand just what type of fishing is available and what type of boat is best suited for that type of fishing.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 14:30   #35

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Still not clear to me if you are talking about spending time in the open ocean drifting or at anchor someplace in the Keys. Or maybe something like fishing for swordfish at night in the Keys.

While it is always a good idea to have someone standing watch no matter what the circumstances there are lots of boats who do not follow this advice. As others have posted this can even be a problem with large military or commercial ships.

One of my standard rants is that many folks buy boats for what they think they are going to do, not what they actually do. An open console can both a plus or minus. But for Florida a canvas dodger with windows to protect from spray and cold (yes it can get cold in Florida) means it is mostly a plus. Security is the only thing a small cabin would offer but even then the locks are mostly a joke and easily defeated. It is quite possible to get some type of canvas tent to really expand the sleep are in an open console.

I would also point out that for anchoring many of the power boats I see tend to scrimp on ground tackle. Not trying to start an anchor thread, just saying good ground tackle is a must. And a redundant anchor alarm system.

Drifting in the open ocean is a whole different can of worms. The key here is understanding where the heavy traffic shipping channels are and where somewhat safer areas are. Still this is not something I would suggest anyone do.

Just my two cents buy before you buy you might consider hooking up with some local fishermen with different types of boats. It is common to find folks who will take someone out for part or all of the cost of gas and maybe a little food or drink. This would allow you to better understand just what type of fishing is available and what type of boat is best suited for that type of fishing.
Drifting in the ocean with no one standing watch is plan ass stupid. I know many may disagree sailing with no one standing watch is stupid. At night "stupider'.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 14:31   #36

No doubt I have a lot to learn. But I know I really like spending the night on the water. Have spent 100's of nights on inland fresh water lakes. Always in a mostly safe cove. Never in the middle of the lake with bass boats zooming by at 60mph.

I am retired so I will have the time to trailer to the keys and stay on the boat as long as I can stand it. Initial thinking is maybe 3 or 4 trips per year and 1 or 2 weeks per trip. I would snorkle and fish while in the keys.

Other than that the boat would be used in the Daytona area. I think I would try to spend a few nights at a time in the open ocean. Yes...probably using a sea anchor.

That is why I was thinking I wanted the punishing mold gathering cabin.

I have had a canvas covered runabouts that made an ok over nighters. I will reseach what canvas (sunbrella) can be added to a center console boat.

Old 21-04-2016, 14:40   #37

Boat: Lazy-Boy, fold out

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
From Wiki...
Hpeer - Yes, I had forgot about that Sub off Hawaii, that fish boat was a lot larger than a beer can Cadence............. Just proves the fact that no matter how big or small you are, you have to be ever vigilant out on the water. Both subs had large crews and sophisticated equipment. A couple of more examples, check out the Valdez accident, and the sinking of the "Queen of the North". Anybody think a tanker or a ferry will notice a 30 ft fiberglass boat when they can't see a complete Island.
Comix Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 15:00   #38

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comix Bay View Post
Hpeer - Yes, I had forgot about that Sub off Hawaii, that fish boat was a lot larger than a beer can Cadence............. Just proves the fact that no matter how big or small you are, you have to be ever vigilant out on the water. Both subs had large crews and sophisticated equipment. A couple of more examples, check out the Valdez accident, and the sinking of the "Queen of the North". Anybody think a tanker or a ferry will notice a 30 ft fiberglass boat when they can't see a complete Island.
I heard a Maersk Captain giving a Clorox bottle down the road, on the radio. She went through the whole thing about the height of her radar on and on. All he needed was a decent radar reflector. If she had run over him it would have been his fault. We are not talking mega bucks just a simple reflector. GRP does not have a reflection. And what the Valdez has to do with the price of bananas? Drunken skippers don't count at 5 or6 Knots you aren't going to get out of the way.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 15:01   #39

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
SNIP
I have had a canvas covered runabouts that made an ok over nighters. I will reseach what canvas (sunbrella) can be added to a center console boat.

SNIP
I have sunbrella in several places on my boat. But also have other material that is more waterproof in some places. Just one of the many options. To some extent this is like anchors. Different folks will have different opinions.

I have spent lots of time in the Keys and have to point out there is still a lot I have not seen. Last trip to DT I spent three months and that only made me realize how much of it I missed. I know guys who have spent their lives in the backcountry and still have a lot to see.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 15:14   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If it rains, you get wet.
Even my little CC had a head in the console, never seen a CC that the console wasn't a head.
A big reason people don't fish out of a Cuddy cabin boat is you need to be able to walk around the boat to fight the fish, or at least it helps cause your not doing that is a Sportfish either.
We had a 36' Sportfish and used it take four people out to the Middle grounds on four day trips, easy. It had a 7.5 KW Westerbeke generator.

But if your really a fisherman and want to fish and or dive, nothing beats a CC, a CC can make a great dive boat, and shooting fish to me is more fun than catching them, and you get to pick the fish too.

Look at the link for T-top extender I linked to, they give you shade and do it without any supports getting in the way to fish, I only had the half that covered the back and ran it underway at full throttle, the front half you can't use while underway, but once you have one, you will never go without it.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 16:27   #41

Check out hammocks, Hennessey is the one I have, well designed, full zip cocoon of no-see-um mesh under a big flysheet. Warm if you stick a therma-rest type camping pad inside. Stows away tiny. Many other brands available.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 08:42   #42

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymaxion View Post
Check out hammocks, Hennessey is the one I have, well designed, full zip cocoon of no-see-um mesh under a big flysheet. Warm if you stick a therma-rest type camping pad inside. Stows away tiny. Many other brands available.
nice call.. been using one on bike for years now. set up at highway rest stops and swing over picnic tables under the canopy.. in the morning you don't want to get up.. looking forward to using it on the boat.. great product and would never do without one
Old 22-04-2016, 09:00   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Hammock is an excellent idea, I don't have one, but there is a military hammock meant for jungle use that is sort of a waterproof tent with an insect screen, I use to want one, but never got around to getting one.

Here you go, stay dry, and not get bug bit if your close to land, and I'm sure the sides roll up if its not raining
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Sty...-/322054983760
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 09:29   #44

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Hammock is an excellent idea, I don't have one, but there is a military hammock meant for jungle use that is sort of a waterproof tent with an insect screen, I use to want one, but never got around to getting one.

Here you go, stay dry, and not get bug bit if your close to land, and I'm sure the sides roll up if its not raining
Military Style Jungle Hammock OD Camping Easy Setup Elevated Shelter w Roof | eBay
that's pretty close to a hennessey cept for the price.. also i got the undercover.. that layer of air in between real important if it gets a little cold, keeps that off your back. and i got a serious back problem.. 60 degree curve top (scoliosis) and 35 degrees down.
Old 22-04-2016, 16:28   #45

Today I looked at a Triton 281. I specially looked at how I could spend a night on this boat. I am thinking an air matters on the front floor with a cover that goes from the front top of the top to the bow rails. That looks like it would allow air flow and keep dew off me.

I am thinking using the back of the boat will hamper whoever is on watch.