Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2021, 18:12   #1

suitable for cruising Mexico?

The hull is sound, she has a small diesel good for 7 knots tops. Also, she now has a 24' from the deck steadying/get-me-home mast/sail. Weighs 11,000 lbs, 29'2"x8'2", 2 vhf, fathometer, CTP autopilot, multiple plotters, EPIRB, GPS, AIS recieve only. All new. Safe for traveling down the Baha to Cabo?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo #1 (1).jpg
Views:	136
Size:	433.1 KB
ID:	239042  
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 04:57   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31
Re: suitable for cruising Mexico?

You may want to inspect trailer and wheels, or add a prop. [emoji4]
Old 24-05-2021, 11:32   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamme View Post
You may want to inspect trailer and wheels, or add a prop. [emoji4]
I want to do the Baja HaHa. They said >27' and designed for open ocean. Was hoping for advice.
Old 26-06-2021, 09:28   #4

Boat: Sailboat 51'

Looks like it need a lot of work. The hull shape will work for you. It will be mostly up to your skills and the condition of your equipment. If she is restored to good condition, I'd think you would do fine, it would definitely be an adventure!

Good luck.
Kenatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 11:15   #5

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

The hull form is certainly just fine - looks like a double ended dory which are incredibly seaworthy and ride like a cork.

I'd also pay attention to fuel and water capacity as that is certainly more of a motorboat and the distances on the haha are pretty long - you'll need fuel for at least 400 miles, minimum, and water for the crew for 7-9 days.

As said before, it is more about the skills and abilities of the crew than the boat itsself. People have crossed oceans in rowboats. Be sure you have quite a few miles under the keel yourself before setting out south - the initial learning curve can be pretty steep.
Excalibur5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 12:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian007 View Post
I want to do the Baja HaHa. They said >27' and designed for open ocean. Was hoping for advice.

Why not just crew on the Bajahaha...don't need to stress about an old tub then.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 03:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenatsea View Post
Looks like it need a lot of work. The hull shape will work for you. It will be mostly up to your skills and the condition of your equipment. If she is restored to good condition, I'd think you would do fine, it would definitely be an adventure!

Good luck.
Thank you, she's actually a reproduction of a 1903 trawler/clipper, in the photo above she was about to splash after a 18 month build. It was 1995.
Old 28-06-2021, 15:50   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If she's of timber construction, I'd be somewhat concerned about the Baja Bash, the trip back north, against wind and current. To be sure, there are stopping places, and you can plan to wait for weather. A whole lot depends on her construction, and if the inside bits of the hull, the keelson, stringers, frames are good, as well as the planking if it's wood. Different story if it's fiberglass.

Ann
Old 29-06-2021, 02:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
If she's of timber construction, I'd be somewhat concerned about the Baja Bash, the trip back north, against wind and current. To be sure, there are stopping places, and you can plan to wait for weather. A whole lot depends on her construction, and if the inside bits of the hull, the keelson, stringers, frames are good, as well as the planking if it's wood. Different story if it's fiberglass.

Ann
It's a strong, well made boat. Had it surveyed and showed build pics to yacht designer. Fiberglass over Port Orford Cebar. Dry bilge.

Tags
cruising, Mexico