Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2006, 07:20   #1

Boat: Sunray, Mirage, 24ft, Liverpool Lass
Sunray Mirage

I have recently been advised that Sunray boats made in PQ have a hull problem . The design allows water to get inbetween the layers and make it weak . I have had my Mirage for 3 yrs now and its a great old tug but mow Im concerned.
Anyone heard anything about this problem ?
Liverpool Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 09:59   #2

Thx for the reply, I have always thought the boat was well built but after a marina advised me that there was a coast guard alert???? regarding Sunray hulls I started to get paranoid. I think I have the twin to yours. ours is a 1989 with OMC but same colour etc. Do you know of any other sites that have Sunray info ?
Thanks again
Terry
Old 23-06-2006, 18:18   #3
Kai Nui

It just goes to show there are good surveyors, and bad surveyors. THere is a saying in the profession. Surveyor "A" is who you call when you are buying a boat, and Surveyor "B" is the one you call when you are recommending one to a buyer. THe fact is, just because this surveyor "Learned from his mistake", does not mean he fully researched the design after this incident. My English teacher in high school had a saying "just because I like it doesn't make it good". The same would apply inversely. The marine industry in general is fairly tight, and very onforgiving of manufacturers who produce inferior products. If the design was half as dangerous as this particular surveyor would imply. If it was, the information would be all over the web. In addition, insurance underwriters do far more indepth research than one individual surveyor, so if they are willing to insure these boats, the issues must not be widespread.
Just this LOUD MOUTH'S opinion
Old 06-07-2006, 10:34   #4

Thx for the help

I just got back from a nice trip on my Sunray which performed flawlessly to find the posts so thankyou again. I have located the boat that first brought this to my attention and from what I am told he had some work done to the hull so I will ask for details. But at least I am less worried from what you found and posted.
Thanks again Terry.
Old 13-10-2011, 19:54   #5

Re: Sunray Mirage

I have a 90 Mirage. I bought it with a split keel. These boats are built with a laminated wood core. They are prone to delaminate (due to water infiltration) becoming weak to the point of failure. To check if yours has delaminated have it sounded. I have pictures of my refit if you like.
mostlyluckydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 20:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlyluckydog View Post
I have a 90 Mirage. I bought it with a split keel. These boats are built with a laminated wood core. They are prone to delaminate (due to water infiltration) becoming weak to the point of failure. To check if yours has delaminated have it sounded. I have pictures of my refit if you like.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-06-2014, 00:02   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlyluckydog View Post
hi,just a quik question, i have just bought a sunray mirage;is it possible to tilt the engine up when going down canals to give it less draft and would perform just as good
Wineport Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 00:07   #8

hi, just a quick enquiry, i have just bought myself a sunray mirage, would it be possible to tilt the engine up when going down shallow canals and would it perform as good thanx
Wineport Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 00:15   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

The Sunrays have improperly and poorly built hulls. The core is not "laminated wood" but end grain balsa wood core. I have never seen one that I would consider safe. Mostluckydog posted a pretty good photo of end grain balsa which after being wet for a while will start to decompose pretty much like compost heap.
You might want to read about Balsa Core In Boats
Old 06-06-2014, 02:11   #10
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wineport Steve View Post
hi, just a quick enquiry, i have just bought myself a sunray mirage, would it be possible to tilt the engine up when going down shallow canals and would it perform as good thanx
The answer to your question is no, but that depends on what type of outdrive you have. Ours had a VolvoPenta Duoprop and you could not run it tilted up higher than the 'beach setting' or you risked ripping out the bellows. I don't know about Mercruiser or OMC outdrives but I'd guess they were similar.

You'll find at slow speeds the boat with a single outdrive will want to wander especially in the canals. Eventually you'll get used to it.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:16   #11
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
The Sunrays have improperly and poorly built hulls. The core is not "laminated wood" but end grain balsa wood core. I have never seen one that I would consider safe. Mostluckydog posted a pretty good photo of end grain balsa which after being wet for a while will start to decompose pretty much like compost heap.
Are you sure they all had balsa cores BP? Ours, from what I could tell had a solid glass hull. The transom was 2" thick laminated plywood. I do know the topsides had balsa core and suffered a bit of sponginess around deck openings like the forward hatch & hawse pipe but other than that she was a tank. She's a 25' version built in 1987. We sold her two years ago and she's still going strong. Freshwater boat only though.

knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:38   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
Are you sure they all had balsa cores BP? Ours, from what I could tell had a solid glass hull. The transom was 2" thick laminated plywood.
I am absolutely positive that the hull (transom excepted) is fully balsa cored just like the other three FRP powerboat manufacturers in Quebec, all now deceased. Thundercraft were just as bad, Dorals were marginally better and I can't say much about Cadorette as I have only surveyed three of them. Every Sunray I have seen showed saturation level moisture and widespread core separation on the bottom.
I have seen a few Sunrays with balsa so decayed (compost) that when placed on blocks for winter storage,the blocks punctured the hull.
Old 06-06-2014, 14:43   #13

was a fun boat till the delam spread mostly around the perilously low cut mid-birth windows. went 47mph with a 383 GM stroker, VP 275 2.15 gear and a 15x21 prop.
Old 26-06-2014, 22:34   #14

thanks for all the information guys
yourdoltuku is offline   Reply With Quote