Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2016, 07:06   #1

Teak Wood Deck Replacement

I have a 1969 36' Trojan Tri Cabin. The sub-deck under the teak is rotten in a few places. I am looking to have it all replaced including the Teak, or having the sub-deck replaced and glassed over. I haven't made up my mind yet. Any suggestions? how much would a job like this typically cost?
ryankla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 07:53   #2

Boat: F&C 44
Re: Teak Wood Deck Replacement

I also will be needing new teak decks for my 44' ketch. Do you have a glass sub deck with balsa core? Or plywood with no glass? I have heard figures in the $20K+ range but that's without sub deck repair. You could keep costs down by removing the teak yourself and let the pros finish the job. Unless your boat is worth big $$$ going with a plain glass deck is the best. Where in the world are you? Makes a big difference in material and labor costs.
SteveSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 08:06   #3

I believe it is plywood with no glass. I am in California. Just a plain glass deck is what I am leaning toward. How much would something like that cost? 20k is definitely out of the budget. I am looking to possibly put 10-15k into the boat.
ryankla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 02:36   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ryankla,

Go with the glass, after repair/replace the plywood. Then put on some non-skid that will work for you. Teak looks lovely, is excellent non-skid, and frightfully expensive. Some people get the fake plastic teak lookalike. To me, it looks sleasy, and I would rather have honest non-skid than something fake looking. Ymmv.

Ann
Old 18-03-2016, 07:50   #5
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

If it helps, i just had work done on a 53 foot hatteras motor yacht. Removed old teak, replaced some damaged glass, and repainted, 21k.

Much bigger than your ketch, 15 foot beam. It needed extensive sanding throughout and fiberglass work in numerous places.

I did not replace the teak.

Good luck,

Mike
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 09:12   #6

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II

A friend had his teak decks replaced on his 44 foot sloop by a 1st class yard in Maine. He budgeted $1,500 per linear foot which included all labor for removing and re-installing all the hardware. The yard did a beautiful job and came in on budget @ $65K.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 10:00   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankla View Post
I have a 1969 36' Trojan Tri Cabin. The sub-deck under the teak is rotten in a few places. I am looking to have it all replaced including the Teak, or having the sub-deck replaced and glassed over. I haven't made up my mind yet. Any suggestions? how much would a job like this typically cost?
I'm sorry. Investing in replacing the sub deck and teak, sounds like a rabbit hole with a 69 vessel. Skip the teak.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 10:29   #8

Boat: Sou'wester 50 yawl

I think that Roniszoro is right on the money. I just had the same problem with a classic style 15 meter schooner in Palma, Mallorca, Spain. Soggy deck, rotten stainless steel fastenings that allowed fresh water into the balsa core. But there were other thru-deck fitttings for electric deck winches, hydraulic Cunninhams, vangs, etc. Anyway I had them pull the deck, rip out the balsa core; replace with epoxy, then re-glass outer deck and epoxy down the teak overlay. In the end - looks and feels great. The cost 40,000 Euros. But worth every penny!
kellyp08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 10:36   #9

Boat: Sou'wester 50 yawl

I should mention that I have two boats a Hinckley SW50 in Maine and the schooner in Palma, Mallorca. I've had no deck problems with the Hinckley - Hinckley avoided teak overlay decks for the longest time. Then customers wanted a teak deck. Hinckley solved the problem in the build stage by grinding off the non-skid and epoxying the teak overlay to the glass deck. I believe it took them a few boats to get the formula down right.
kellyp08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 17:01   #10

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

For an idea on cost. I just redid some fiberglass over plywood deck. Using 2.0 RSM (what most experts recommend), 7 gallons of West System epoxy covered a16'x17' section. Includes rolling cloth up cabin side 3".
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 21:44   #11

A friend ripped out my teak foredeck and plywood underlayment down to the glass layer. rebuilt the deck using green foam and epoxy. 2 layers of glass, rolled on kiwi grip. $6500 Florida
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 04:14   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ryankla.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 04:39   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Teak Wood Deck Replacement

With sawn teak running at between $450-$650/cubic foot.. bludi expensive.. and that's the lower grade S American teak.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, men, teak