Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2010, 08:49   #1

This is Getting Hard for Me to Resist

At $15k, it appears to be extremely affordable.

Needs to be hauled and have the bottom painted, according to the broker

42.2 lwl
16' beam
4'4" draft
11.25 tonnes
300hp CAT

it's a bit light for a circumnavigator, and a bit overpowered for my tastes, but I am thinking more a project boat. Adding the additinal displacement and flopper stoppers might get it where I'd like.

Probably put about another 400 gallons of fuel tankage in it, remove the silly flybridge, and re-deck for a rear owners stateroom

1974 Downeast Flybridge Trawler MAJOR PRICE REDUCTION - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED Power Boat

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated!

Phil Kaiser, in St. Louis
kaiserlp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 09:08   #2

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
do you have tons of wooden boat construction, maintenance, and repair experience?!?

if the answer is yea, Go for it!
if the answer is no, start running...
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 10:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuredrop View Post
do you have tons of wooden boat construction, maintenance, and repair experience?!?

if the answer is yea, Go for it!
if the answer is no, start running...

Really, that bad?

How is it worse than say, Steel or Aluminum?

Just curious

Phil
Old 26-07-2010, 13:59   #4

it's wood so it'll need maintenance..but ALL boats do,
get it surveyed/looked at by someone who knows what they're doing..go from there
flog of the 'you beaut' shiny fridge..and washing machine and it'll be even cheaper..
if l wasn't such a polite person l would've said the FB was ugly but l ain't so silly it is,

seems like a good cheap older cruiser that needs work
chrome dome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 17:43   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
If you've never owned a wooden boat then this certainly will give you experience. Definitely hire a surveyor. If the engine runs and it doesn't leak too badly then it might be a good bargain. Certainly its going to have a lot of room aboard. That flying bridge has to go.
regards,
Old 26-07-2010, 18:27   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
If you are looking for a circumnavigator, then this boat most likely is not the right one for you. It looks like a good coastal cruiser, though.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 20:07   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserlp2 View Post

Probably put about another 400 gallons of fuel tankage in it, remove the silly flybridge, and re-deck for a rear owners stateroom
It's not the flybridge that needs to be removed, just the goofy enclosure atop it.

What would discourage me from purchasing this boat is the concern that the appalling lack of taste that permitted the previous owner to construct that structure might have prompted him to do damage that is less obvious.

never purchase a boat from someone with more knowledge about power tools than about navigation.
Old 26-07-2010, 21:06   #8

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
never purchase a boat from someone with more knowledge about power tools than about navigation.
Hey, watch it!...I resemble that remark....

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 21:10   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Hey, watch it!...I resemble that remark....
no offense intended.

and consider the fact that the only power tool I'm routinely allowed to operate is a windlass.
Old 27-07-2010, 07:56   #10

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
None taken......just hit me nail on the head Govener and I thought it was pretty darn funny..

Couldn't pass up the opportunity to fire back and let you know Im no Navigation guru...but I done dose take care of me boats...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 17:23   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
You're right. The flying bridge looks to be ok, it is the add on that makes it look tacky. Maybe it is currently an apartment and not a moving boat.
regards,
Old 27-07-2010, 18:51   #12
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Nice looking boat. Good tankage.

But note:
  • No photos of engine or engine compartment
  • No generator
  • House style full refrigerator
  • Non-operational radar

My guess is that this is a live aboard. It would probably take a huge amount to make it able to travel.

But all that doesn't matter much.

In about 2000, I bought a 1966 Pacemaker 36' Flybridge Sedan for $14,500. It surveyed well. The guy spent 4 hours just tapping the hull. He said it was well maintained, and in the best shape he had ever seen one this age. That is, one that had been maintained over the years but not completely restored.

I bought it in New Jersey and ran 1000 miles down the ICW with it. Performed flawlessly. (read about it at Woodpile - The Trip)

Over the next 3 years I spent $10,000 per year just on wood repairs, and was loosing ground. Just replacing one plank on the hull is over a grand.

I loved that boat. Nothing like the ride of a wood boat. And all that mahogany in the interior. Nice layout. No mechanical problems, no electrical problems.

But I sold it for $1.

See the photos at Woodpile - 1966 36' Pacemaker. Scroll to the bottom to see the damage that existed at the time I sold it.

Now I got a plastic boat I picked up for $40k. Even with the $500/mo payment, it's way less than I was spending on the wood boat.

If I was retired, or lived next to my boat, especially if I had a way to haul it into my own yard, I would love to have another wood boat. But unless you are very rich, you don't want a wood boat if you are going to have to pay someone to do the repairs.

Seriously, if you haven't owned a wood boat, and don't have someone around that is VERY willing to help you out, I would RUN away from it. Sadly so, because it's a pretty boat.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 19:59   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The price makes me suspect it has major problems. If it does you are looking at major money to fix them. Inexpensive boats can be very costly after the purchase. Please be very cautious.

I would not own a wood boat unless there is something very special about that boat.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:31   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
Nice looking boat. Good tankage.

But note:
  • No photos of engine or engine compartment
  • No generator
  • House style full refrigerator
  • Non-operational radar
My guess is that this is a live aboard. It would probably take a huge amount to make it able to travel.

But all that doesn't matter much.

In about 2000, I bought a 1966 Pacemaker 36' Flybridge Sedan for $14,500. It surveyed well. The guy spent 4 hours just tapping the hull. He said it was well maintained, and in the best shape he had ever seen one this age. That is, one that had been maintained over the years but not completely restored.

I bought it in New Jersey and ran 1000 miles down the ICW with it. Performed flawlessly. (read about it at Woodpile - The Trip)

Over the next 3 years I spent $10,000 per year just on wood repairs, and was loosing ground. Just replacing one plank on the hull is over a grand.

I loved that boat. Nothing like the ride of a wood boat. And all that mahogany in the interior. Nice layout. No mechanical problems, no electrical problems.

But I sold it for $1.

See the photos at Woodpile - 1966 36' Pacemaker. Scroll to the bottom to see the damage that existed at the time I sold it.

Now I got a plastic boat I picked up for $40k. Even with the $500/mo payment, it's way less than I was spending on the wood boat.

If I was retired, or lived next to my boat, especially if I had a way to haul it into my own yard, I would love to have another wood boat. But unless you are very rich, you don't want a wood boat if you are going to have to pay someone to do the repairs.

Seriously, if you haven't owned a wood boat, and don't have someone around that is VERY willing to help you out, I would RUN away from it. Sadly so, because it's a pretty boat.

-dan
Very useful information - thank you so much for laying it out this way.

There were other very helpful posts also, but I found this one to give me the best examples of concerns/issues.

Thanks a ton!

Phil