Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2018, 15:08   #1

Torqueedo electric outboard

Hi All -- anyone have any experience with the Torqueedo electric outboard? Looking at the 1003C that is the 3hp. Want to use it for the Sea of Cortez instead of a gas outboard since our boat is diesel and just don't want the hassle or risk of carrying gas onboard. Range seems fine. Only issue I see is just the ability to easily charge the battery but we would get an extra battery.
Thoughts? Sure would welcome any pros or cons people are aware of. Thanks!
Big Leap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 16:24   #2

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Re: Torqueedo electric outboard

We have had our 1003 for many years (maybe the second year they become available) and took it to the Bahamas this winter. It has always had an occasional software error but usually it just took a restart. This time it failed with a "battery connection" error that no amount of effort could fix. We ended up having to buy a small Mercury outboard. Back in the US we found a convenient repair facility outside of Annapolis and they replaced the cable and other components trying to get it fixed but could not make it reliable so I have ended up replacing the entire "pylon" which is basically the entire motor part.

I went ahead and did it at considerable cost because I love the quiet and lightness of the motor and want to support EV technologies. I also am hoping that over time they have fixed some of the early issues.

I do have to warn though about the inability to repair the motor in out of the way places. It does depend on the electronics allowing the battery and the motor to connect and you cannot just rewire it or bypass things so if you do it go into it with open eyes.

I would also recommend the big battery. We had just bought a new battery and the amount of time and distance you could get out of it was much more appropriate and convenient for a cruising dinghy then the original configuration.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 21:28   #3

Re: Torqueedo electric outboard

Thanks so much for the information, Jim. We decided to move ahead with the purchase -- and we'll get the larger extra battery. Much appreciated.
Big Leap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, outboard