Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2019, 10:16   #46

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Trailering express cruiser... what size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsailor View Post
I can’t recommend this, but a few years back a couple followed us into a campground in Iowa for the night. With a Ford F-250, he was towing a 40’ sailboat, about 11’ beam. Went to talk to him, he was reluctant to talk until he was assured I was just another curious boater.

Turns out he goes from a Colorado mountain lake once a year to join a regatta in the Atlantic. Hauls it himself, done it for years. Has flashing lights, oversized banners, his wife is the chase car with the appropriate signs/lights. Stops before dark. All sounds appropriate. What didn't he have? Permits. Said he’d never gotten one, has never been hassled. Seems like he said he got stopped once, but cop was satisfied he was safe, let him continue.

I’m sure he had to pass an occasional weigh station. If I asked how he handled that I’ve forgotten the answer.

Only a 22.3’ Starwind, but this is how I’ve towed.
I believe weigh stations only apply to commercial traffic.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:17   #47

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat

On my Cat 25, I used the boom vang with a LONG line as purchase to pull the tabernacled mast upright or to lower it...leaving the uppers and rear shrouds attached. I made a gin pole from galvanized pipe and a wooden fitting to go on the mast. My 13 y/o daughter and I could do it relatively easily, but it wasn't something I wanted to do for a day sail. WE had an extendable crutch to fit in the gudgeons on the transom when raising and lowering the mast....; it warked great ans supported the mast when we were traveling, too.....
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:41   #48

Boat: 223 Starwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
Our boat is just under 35' LOA and we tow it. I sure am curious what that guy had for a boat? Do you remember?
Sorry, I do not. It was an impressive sight, though. Pulling into a campground pull through spot with a 40’ boat isn’t something you see every day.

I did warn him that if he went through Missouri they are especially tough. Said he always went a more northern route.
austinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 13:57   #49

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsailor View Post
Sorry, I do not. It was an impressive sight, though. Pulling into a campground pull through spot with a 40’ boat isn’t something you see every day.

I did warn him that if he went through Missouri they are especially tough. Said he always went a more northern route.
Ohio is one of the worst in the U.S. They have the Gestapo!!!
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 17:35   #50

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Anyone know what kind of fine is generally imposed - if a boat and trailer is vastly over the width limitation? I know it varies by state - but any experiences? Not a direct comparison, but I once was involved in a case where a commercial trucker went through about 20 miles of MD, without a proper permit, and the fine was something like 7k. It was about 20 years ago. It was clearly a commercial trucking matter, and not a pleasure boat, but it still seemed quite high.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 18:24   #51

Five years ago we purchased out 28' Carver Santa Cruz in Portland, Or. Made five trips to Portland to get it on a trailer (we live in Boise, ID). We had a tandem axle Calkins with rollers. When we had the boat lifted and set on the trailer the prop shafts came out over the rollers. Not good. Brought the trailer home looked at modifying it. Was going to be more trouble than it was worth. Decided to sell it and listed it on the Portland and Seattle Craigslist. Had a guy in Seattle interested in it but a guy in Portland beat hi out with cash. I delivered it. Trip two. Found a triple axle in Salt Lake City. Drove down an bought it. Bunk style. Had had a 31' Carver Santana with outdrives on it. Took it to Portland. Trip three. Lifted the boat. Didn't fit. Bunks where not adjustable. Come home modify the bunks. Back to Portland. Trip four. Lift the boat. Each lift is about $500. Still doesn't fit the bunks. Back home. Big time bunk mods. Now fully adjustable. Back to Portland. Trip five. Lift the boat. Make some slight modifications to the bunks and it fits. We left Portland the next day at 5 AM to avoid the traffic and had no trouble towing it home. We have a "02 Ford Superduty with a 7.3L diesel. Run about 60 to 65 mph most of the way except when pulling the hills. The beam on this boat is 10' 6". We just hung a couple of oversize load banners on it and went down the road. We've been doing some upgrades on it so it hasn't been in the water for five years. It's off Yellowstone Lake next year to fish for Lake trout. So towing a large boat is not impossible. Before we bought our Carver we trailer sailed a 28' Irwin. We'll have most of the upgrades finished this winter. Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151023_122018.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	431.4 KB
ID:	202665   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151023_121948.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	202666  

Oldseabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 19:35   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldseabee View Post
Five years ago we purchased out 28' Carver Santa Cruz in Portland, Or. Made five trips to Portland to get it on a trailer (we live in Boise, ID). We had a tandem axle Calkins with rollers. When we had the boat lifted and set on the trailer the prop shafts came out over the rollers. Not good. Brought the trailer home looked at modifying it. Was going to be more trouble than it was worth. Decided to sell it and listed it on the Portland and Seattle Craigslist. Had a guy in Seattle interested in it but a guy in Portland beat hi out with cash. I delivered it. Trip two. Found a triple axle in Salt Lake City. Drove down an bought it. Bunk style. Had had a 31' Carver Santana with outdrives on it. Took it to Portland. Trip three. Lifted the boat. Didn't fit. Bunks where not adjustable. Come home modify the bunks. Back to Portland. Trip four. Lift the boat. Each lift is about $500. Still doesn't fit the bunks. Back home. Big time bunk mods. Now fully adjustable. Back to Portland. Trip five. Lift the boat. Make some slight modifications to the bunks and it fits. We left Portland the next day at 5 AM to avoid the traffic and had no trouble towing it home. We have a "02 Ford Superduty with a 7.3L diesel. Run about 60 to 65 mph most of the way except when pulling the hills. The beam on this boat is 10' 6". We just hung a couple of oversize load banners on it and went down the road. We've been doing some upgrades on it so it hasn't been in the water for five years. It's off Yellowstone Lake next year to fish for Lake trout. So towing a large boat is not impossible. Before we bought our Carver we trailer sailed a 28' Irwin. We'll have most of the upgrades finished this winter. Jim

But - you will have that beautiful boat, out on beautiful Yellowstone lake. That's a grand sight, even in my mind's eye.

Perhaps think of it like making sausage. Best not to look inside the process..
Old 04-11-2019, 19:42   #53

Boat: TBD

There are a few that have up to 30 footers on triple axels hatred at this Msrina. One has a Duramax diesel dually 4 wd. The others has a Dodge diesel Dually 4 wd.The ramp is ribbed concrete so the pull out pretty easy.

Be sure you know your towing regulations, especially as you travel the inter states. The highway patrols are cracking down on the heavy RV’s now. You may have to have a CDL for your weight rating. Remember it’s the GVWR. Gross Vehicle weight RATING and not the load that counts. Don’t be over weight obviously. Check your tires for load rating you maybe over their load rating. That’s why we use Duallies.
Drain your water tank and try to travel low on boat fuel. It’s cheaper at the marina than an overweight ticket. Plus you will get there a lot quicker without the ticket. Make sure the brakes work, lights work, safety chains are the right size, spare tire, and safety equipment is stored properly. Know how to use it. Watch out for firearm laws too.
Don’t have anything leaking anywhere. Some. Places like here you must wash the nottom of the boat off and remove the drain plug before leaving the marina.
Bentwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:34   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
Anyone know what kind of fine is generally imposed - if a boat and trailer is vastly over the width limitation? I know it varies by state - but any experiences? Not a direct comparison, but I once was involved in a case where a commercial trucker went through about 20 miles of MD, without a proper permit, and the fine was something like 7k. It was about 20 years ago. It was clearly a commercial trucking matter, and not a pleasure boat, but it still seemed quite high.
In most states, the same citations would apply. You don't necessarily need a commercial license and you can generally bypass weigh stations but if you do get caught, I believe the citation is the same.

My BIL has some commercial equipment and yeah, $2-3k is for starters if you get a citation being oversize or overweight.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:35   #55

Interesting option for trailer cruising...

About
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:49   #56

Oday Mariner 2+2. Set up as a shallow water river cruiser. I'm into it for $2000 and have a lot of fun. I like to camp. I got tired of making reservations so now I just show up and sleep on the state park lakes and rivers. 11' oars for the skinny water spots. I don't use the mast I have another boat for sailing. Mount the motor 9.9 centerline. Same speed as a trawler. Way more efficient.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190728_174040.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	202688  
Captain Rick 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 20:31   #57

Boat: 1989 Bayliner 2655 Ceria - Shananigans
Arrow Re: Trailering express cruiser... what size?

I have been towing my 30ft bayliner around the pacific Northwest for about 18 years now. OAL 30ft. beam9.6. never any problems.

Name:	DSCN2415.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	428.1 KB
ID:	203074
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2416.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	203075  
Patrick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 07:19   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Rick 50 View Post
Oday Mariner 2+2. Set up as a shallow water river cruiser. I'm into it for $2000 and have a lot of fun. I like to camp. I got tired of making reservations so now I just show up and sleep on the state park lakes and rivers. 11' oars for the skinny water spots. I don't use the mast I have another boat for sailing. Mount the motor 9.9 centerline. Same speed as a trawler. Way more efficient.

I've found that sometimes, the money spent is inversely proportionate to the fun spinning off of it. The wind, water and scenery are the same whether you're floating on a $2000 boat, or 2 million. Getting away from the crowds can be worth 2 million sometimes...
Old 13-11-2019, 08:15   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick53 View Post
I have been towing my 30ft bayliner around the pacific Northwest for about 18 years now. OAL 30ft. beam9.6. never any problems.

Attachment 203074
Thanks for the info and your experience! We have entered into a contract to buy a 27 ft express cruiser that suits us nicely. 7400 lbs, 9.08 ft beam, 30 ft length.

Everyone’s feedback and advice gave us the confidence to pursue our desires.

Thank you!
Agprice272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 20:41   #60

pirate Re: Trailering express cruiser... what size?

I am surprised no one mentioned the MacGregor 26M or 26X. Around 4500 lbs, water ballasted with dagger board or Swing keel.
I have a MacGregor 19 and it is really funny watching power boats crank up when I pass them - can't let a sail boat pass a power boat... I want to upgrade to a 26M and trailer it across the country when I retire.
But... be warned. If you trailer a boat, when you get to the marina you have to rig the mast, sails etc. Never did it in less than 45 minutes and usually an hour set up and an hour tear down. Some MacGregor owners claim 15 minutes but I never got there.
If you go for one look for a dual axle aluminum trailer. The single axle metal ones that came with the boat rust.
Ishkatan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, express cruiser, size, trailer