Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2020, 00:44   #1

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader
Visibility

I have a little 22' pocket cruiser that lives on a river and bobs around with family and friends. It performs well for what we have her, but suffers from the classic problem of poor visibility.

I changed the pedestal and seat to be able to sit higher, and that helped.

I placed a black fabric on the dash to avoid reflection of the white hull material on the inside of the windscreen, and that helped a bit too.

However i still get a lot of reflection when I have the sun in front or on the side. The reflection is on the glass that is flat and no amount of cleaning seems to help. If I get salt water on the glass it is just impossible to see when the sun is in front.

The other day i was squinting and sticking my head out the window as usual when I had an aha moment. i remembered the passenger launches when I was a kid all with a sort of visor on steroids over their flat windscreen. Would that be the reason for that ugly accessory?
Would that help me? It is an easy contraption to make, and I don't care much for looks. Here are a couple of the original boats of my youth, all built in the forties and fifties,

https://scontent.fsyd3-1.fna.fbcdn.n...3f&oe=5F3AC422
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 02:19   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Visibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
The other day i was squinting and sticking my head out the window as usual when I had an aha moment. i remembered the passenger launches when I was a kid all with a sort of visor on steroids over their flat windscreen. Would that be the reason for that ugly accessory?
Would that help me? It is an easy contraption to make, and I don't care much for looks. Here are a couple of the original boats of my youth, all built in the forties and fifties,
Yes, that is the reason for the shade. Alternatively you can slope the glass forward at the top which keeps the sun off the surface of the glass with only a small overhanging shade (unless the sun is very low on the horizon). Sort of like an air traffic control tower.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 18:27   #3

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader
Re: Visibility

Yes, a forward leaning windscreen would be ideal, but to do that I would have to rebuild the cabin at an outrageous cost. May as well buy another boat
But a shade over it at the front I can manage. Bend a bit of aluminium tubing and stretch a piece of canvas over it.
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote