Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 05:54   #1

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Want to Convert an Old Fishing Boat?

Pacific Boat Brokers Inc.

There a few sailboats here but not many but lots of old fishing boats many converted to pleasure, knock yourself out.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:28   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Lots of work indeed.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 15:47   #3

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
old fishing boat

I'm just about finishing up on a rebuild of a 63' steel shrimp boat down here in New Iberia, Louisiana. We've been working on it now for about 16 months both in a boatyard and now at the town marina and it's been one hell of an experience.

So far we've; removed all the fishing gear and booms etc, gutted the whole boat down to a steel shell, removed the cabin and half the bulkheads, rebuilt the fuel tanks to half the original size, built a stateroom in the bow with stairs, reconfigured the engine room, took out the 12/71 DD and put in a 8/71, built a new cabin 15'w 45'l 8'h, put in a bathroom and shower, replaced about half the bottom steel, new windows and doors,and new restaurant style kitchen. We did keep the shaft, prop, and trans and rudder. All in all, a whole lotta steel work.

Probably should have just started from scratch with an all new boat, but I wanted the old funky shrimp boat look and feel and I certainly got it. No one's going to mistake me for a Nordhavn.

All the systems on board, the plumbing, electrical, hydraulic, steering,etc are simple, simple, simple. For fresh water we have two hull tanks with a total of 1500 gls, a 12v pump, and a 100 gl tank on the roof, gravity fed and heated by the sun. Rainwater from the 900 sq ft roof deck fills the tanks. Drinking water is a separate 325 gl tank.

It's sort of a floating loft space that will go anywhere we're crazy enough to point it. What of course we don't have is the comfort and luxury of a finely appointed yacht, but when we were running around the country looking at all the great yachts out there available at really good prices, we just couldn't see ourselves living in a tricked out trailer.

Out the door cost? About 220k for a floating steel box with systems. Talk to me a year from now.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 15:53   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Lots of work indeed.
Confirmed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post

Probably should have just started from scratch with an all new boat, but I wanted the old funky shrimp boat look and feel and I certainly got it. No one's going to mistake me for a Nordhavn.
Great quote Lorenzo.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 19:55   #5

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Hi Lorenzo,
A few years ago Passagemaker mag did an article featuring several work/fishing boats converted to cruisers you might be able to find or order a copy from them.
I live in Thibodaux and go to New Iberia area every so often I'd like to take a look at your project some time.
If that's ok with you please let me know my email is
stwillett (at) aol.com
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote