Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2015, 08:38   #1

Boat: 1989 Carver Californian
Wanted: Advice on boat change

Hello all. I'm looking for some advice. My family and I have a nice Carver Californian on Lake Michigan. We use it every summer and regularly do long trips on the lake. It is nearly perfect for what we want. I've got all the systems in good working order and I regularly make upgrades. All it really needs is a set of stabilizers which is something that I'm considering.

Here the deal.. My wife and I are looking to make a change in lifestyle in 5 years. We will change jobs and careers to do much more crusing once the kids leave for college. We plan to do the loop and then are looking at the Mediterranean. We will ship the boat over. My question is whether I should continue to upgrade this boat or should I look for something larger that has more range? We currently carry 380 gallons of fuel and don't have a water maker and no stabilizers as I've said. Upgrades to all that may run 100k vs another boat at maybe 500k+.

I'm wondering if our boat could not be made to be a good fit for what we need. Am I wrong? I'd love to do the Pacific Northwest (ship the boat overland) and the Mediterranean and the Caribbean and I figure by the time we're done with that and the loop we may be done with boating or at least retire back here to the Great Lakes.

What would you do?
Thanks
michael
AU92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:24   #2

Re: Wanted: Advice on boat change

If you want some really good advice, post this question on the "Trawler Forum".
pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:37   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Michael.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:43   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgitug View Post
If you want some really good advice, post this question on the "Trawler Forum".

And in the meantime, maybe begin comparing costs to ship several times versus costs to buy-and-sell in destination locations. Remembering too, the difference in shorepower current, etc.

(I have no clue what the cost differences might be, but seems useful to know up front what the alternatives might be.)

-Chris
Old 04-07-2015, 23:16   #5

Michael

Suggest you plan an itinerary to do 1/2 the loop south of Lake Michigan to the Gulf, then do the Caribbean, then finish the loop North. That will take a good year. Then ship the boat to Lewiston Idaho and travel down the Snake and Columbia Rivers to Portland/Astoria. From there you can either cruise up the Washington Coast or ship the boat to Seattle/Tacoma. Puget Sound/The Gulf Islands and the inland passage to Alaska have enough water to keep you cruising for a long time. I'm sure you could ship the boat to Europe from Vancouver BC or Seattle/Tacoma if you still want to do that. Once you cruise in the Pacific Northwest, you may not want to return to Michigan and the Great Lakes.
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 21:36   #6

Boat: 1989 Carver Californian

Thank you all for the advice and information.
AU92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wanted