Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2016, 06:36   #1

Boat: Bluewater 55
Westerbeke 12..5 BTG has random shutdown

I have read several interesting posts concerning Westerbeke auto shutdown problems. I have the same unexplanable problem. My genset is a 1990 (12.5 BTG Gas). It shuts down for no apparent reason whether at the dock or under way. It will run for varying lengths of time 1 min to all day, but it cranks right back up. It spits out a large volume of water while running I just recently replaced the water pump">raw water pump.
While the genset is running (reset switch released) and observing the remote start control panel, water temp and oil pressure are well withing limits but the voltmeter shows in the red (less than 10 v). The oil pressure and water temp gauges are right on the recommended values. The green running indicator LED light blinks rapidly and is dim. But when I press the (black) on switch, the DC voltage comes up to normal 13.5v and the green LED light is bright green an steady.
I am unable to discuss this with anyone at Westerbeke. I unplugged the fuel pump wire terminal at fuel pump and put a wire in terminal an plugged it back together and hooked to battery. With fuel pump running I cranked genny it ran for hours. The volt meter on remote start panel is reading 13.5 volts and green led is bright an steady. Theres something turning fuel pump off an causing the remote panel issue. I was told it could be the over speed control. Any other ideas before I import a technican from 100 miles away? Genny is in a 55 Bluewater if that's make a difference. Also I was told Bluewater make their own wiring harness from genny to remote start panel. Thanks Bdarcher
BDARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
westerbeke