Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2021, 06:51   #31

Re: What make is my boat

Mrmaw said: "I intend to use her as a recreational fishing boat,..."

I suggested in a previous reply that she may be of Swedish origin. That was based on the boat behind 'er looking suspiciously Albin-ish.

It is also possible that she is Danish. After all, there are lots of Albins in Denmark. All around that sea-bound land you will see little boats of precisely this Gestalt moored in creeks and inlets (much as you've moored yours), as well as alongside in the innumerable small harbours that were once home to active fleets engaged in the inshore fisheries.

These boats are eminently suitable for Danish inland waters given that the distances from shore to shore are so small that "fetch" is rarely of any consequence and that tides compared with those of the English Channel coast are diminutive.

I would think that although the waters of the Channel are very different indeed from those of the Danish "South Seas" (south of the island of Funen), this little boat will give you excellent service on Southampton Water :-)!

All the best,

TrentePieds (FDP)
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 08:28   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

The reason I ask the fuel tankage is simple...

the OP sez a 25 litre carry-on tank....pretty much a standard portable tank...a little more than 5 gals ( British)

That 25 hp engine will burn around 2.5 gal/hr at WOT.

My guess is that engine will likely run near the top of the rpm range to push that boat, so you've got about 2 hours travel time (with some reserve) to go anywhere to do some fishing.

I would almost certainly suggest to carry some spare gas (petrol) containers and a funnel and hose to fill the primary tank.

I don't know the weight of this boat, but it looks heavy. My gut tells me it will require quite some hp to get up on plane.

For comparison, I run a twin engine (2 x 150 hp) fishing boat, 23' in length, your typical center console fishing boat. I have tried to get my boat up on plane using only a single engine. It can do it, but only barely and it takes some time. The single engine is clearly not happy doing it. My boat burns around 15gal (US)/hr at cruise, about 45 at WOT (both engines).

I do not know anything about fishing around Southampton, so won't comment on that, but limited range on the fuel tank would likely suggest inland fishing.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 09:15   #33

Wow, twin 150hp engines. Have you recently had a lottery win ? Good fishing grounds are about an hour away from my mooring so I'm hoping a full tank will last me there and back. At some point in the future when finances allow I would like to double up the 25hp and I would hope that would get her up on the plane but until I get chance to try the single outboard I'm not sure.
Mrmaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 09:36   #34

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmaw View Post
I intend to use her as a recreational fishing boat, at some point in the future I may consider replacing the single outboard with matching twin outboards. I'm not sure of the fuel consumption yet but I'm assuming being a 25hp 4 stroke it should be pretty good. The outboard runs off a 25ltr portable fuel tank
Looks like a nice choice for that. I had something similar for reef fishing and diving. The protection at the helm is great.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 09:53   #35

Yes that was the main reason I bought this boat, I've had different boats in the past some open and some with forward cuddys but I hate being sat in the wind all day and this boat has plenty of width for 2 deck chairs so perfect for a bit of fishing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211030_131605.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	250035  
Old 20-12-2021, 10:09   #36

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmaw View Post
Yes that was the main reason I bought this boat, I've had different boats in the past some open and some with forward cuddys but I hate being sat in the wind all day and this boat has plenty of width for 2 deck chairs so perfect for a bit of fishing.
Catch some for me and enjoy her.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 11:15   #37
Marine Service Provider

Twin 150's is small change in my neck of the woods. Most fishing boats here are running twin engines in the 300-450 hp range. Some even have 3 or 4 engines
Good fishing starts at around 10 miles offshore, great fishing starts at around 30 miles, and the really big fish are 70 miles offshore.

My boat is 5,000 lbs(dry) and around 6,500 lbs (with passengers and fuel). My tank is 150 gallons ( US). Marine fuel (non-ethanol) is about $5/gal.
I can burn thru' $300 of fuel in a heartbeat for a half day fishing.

I'm doubtful twin 25's will get your boat on plane. I have hydraulically operated trim tabs and engine trim and have to give the engines full power to get on plane. After that, about 3,500 rpm will keep it on plane, but 4,000 rpm is the sweet spot. I have a fuel meter gauge on my boat, so I can check fuel consumption in an instant. Trimming that boat out correctly is key to good fuel consumption, as having both engines running at identical rpm.

Before you start thinking about a second engine, you need to ensure your transom is strong enough, not only for the weight of the second engine, but also the twisting action applied by the propellor push. You will also need additional tankage, battery, etc. This also means extra weight....on the stern. Correct boat trim is essential to performance.

Off course, you can do as you please, Just giving my 2c, but I vote for keeping things as they are, besides adding additional fuel capacity.
Old 20-12-2021, 11:21   #38

I'm taking all that advice on board many thanks. Your boat sounds like a serious piece of kit , I'd love to see a photo
Old 20-12-2021, 11:40   #39

It's not a Chris Craft. It doesn't look American in design.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 11:42   #40
Marine Service Provider

here you go....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	r1.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	250047   Click image for larger version

Name:	r2.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	250048  

Name:	r4.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	250050  
Old 20-12-2021, 11:57   #41

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 11:57   #42

OK, so I would consider a part exchange but there would have to be some cash my way haha. I was right, it is a serious bit of kit .
Old 20-12-2021, 12:00   #43

Yes I'm beginning to think European
Old 20-12-2021, 12:06   #44

I'm surprised to hear she weighs so much being only 23ft . I would hazard a guess that my boat would be around 1 ton so I'm thinking twin 25hp or a single 60hp would be man enough
Old 20-12-2021, 12:07   #45

Unfortunately I don't know the make or model

Tags
boat