Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2021, 08:59   #1

What to do with an old trawler at end of its useful life?

I have a weak spot in my heart for old boats, which often brings months of repairs and upgrades, not to mention costs! Having owned a 1985 Cheoy Lee, and more recently, a 1984 Defever Trawler, I am painfully aware of the Taiwanese plywood and moisture issues that plague these boats. My intent is not to complain, for I must admit problem-solving and working relationships with older craftsmen who understand these vessels and their ancient diesel engines is part of the enjoyment, but I always wonder what the final outcome will be when I step off the deck into a retirement or nursing home after the magical journey ends. I will never recapture even 20% of the costs I put into the boat, and my old beauty might be 45-60 years old by then. So what happens to a vessel like this?: Sell for pennies on the dollar and hope someone crazy like me is interested?; put her at dry dock to rot and deteriorate?; scuttle her; donate to a charitable organization?; what if no one wants her?- I curious about how others view and plan for this outcome- thanks and a Happy & Fulfilling New Years on sea and land!!
ASLIII54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:50   #2

Boat: Pearson 367
Re: What to do with an old trawler at end of its useful life?

The labor of love is hard to let go of. I think a policy of brutal self honesty is needed. As soon as the maintenance starts getting deferred its time to sell. If it's well maintained and you don't price it at the top of the market it will sell quickly and hopefully be maintained by the next owner. If it sits for a couple years unused there is a good chance it will head to the scrap heap and you'll still be on the hook for storage.
Old 03-01-2021, 22:32   #3

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Usually old wood boats are sold/given to a series of owners. Eventually they sink or go to a scrapper. Usually you have to pay to have the boat scrapped because there isn't enough usable items to cover the scrapping cost. The wood is often classified as hazardous waste because of the paints and wood preservatives used. When I was young, you use to be able to get a permit to sink the boat at sea. Many of the wood tugs and ships from WWII went that way. About 20-30 years ago, I remember several halibut schooners sunk off Cape Flattery.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 21:38   #4

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

My last boat was a 27 Catalina from the mid-70's. When I got rid of it, the boat had issues. I sold it for $1 and I feel I ripped the guy off. The boat was border line derelict and was pretty much near the end of its life.

So how could I rip him off for $1? He had purchased a boat he would have to dispose of sooner than latter. Disposing of a boat is in the thousands of dollars. So the guy paid $1 to inherit an expensive problem. I didn't sell the boat for one dollar in my brain, I had calculated disposal and knew it was in the thousands so the guy took over my debt to society.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 14:39   #5

Boat: Vashon island boat works, salmon troller, 23ft

I plan to purchase my end golden ages boat in timing to be burned it as to please Odin along with my leatheman and welding hood for
The afterlife. The dollar plan is awesome! Lol
Alaska vashon23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trawler