Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2020, 15:16   #31

Re: What would you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
If your research does not screen it off, let me know and I can explain why. It has a few cons, but also many pros.
Can't really seem to find any in my price range. Since I want funds left over for upgrades and a few years maintenance the actual boat price probably needs to be closer to 160k.
Astropin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 15:27   #32

Boat: Island Packet 349

It looks like prices went up significantly lately. They were mostly going for under 200k three years ago.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 16:35   #33

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astropin View Post
This sounds more in line with what I'm thinking. More of a cruiser than trawler.

It will mostly be the wife and I. We have two grown (in college) children...who I hope to get on board as often is possible...but you know how that goes.

overnight trips? yes. multi-week trips...probably not...but maybe?
I would want about a 40 Ft. trawler, single or twin diesel ( but if a twin, smaller displacement). A cruiser of that size doing 20 knots burns copious amounts of fuel. Get a copy of Yatchting Magazine and read some reviews of fast cruisers that size. Then again, if fueling up the boat for around $2000 is not a problem go for it.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 17:02   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
I would want about a 40 Ft. trawler, single or twin diesel ( but if a twin, smaller displacement). A cruiser of that size doing 20 knots burns copious amounts of fuel. Get a copy of Yatchting Magazine and read some reviews of fast cruisers that size. Then again, if fueling up the boat for around $2000 is not a problem go for it.
Something in that size range should get a bit better than 1 mpg...a 50 mile destination is about 100gal or about $300 in gas for the weekend.

Yes, it's money but he also doesn't have to dump $5-6k in sails and a 50 mile range doesn't translate to 10 hours when the weather turns crap.

We went thru this...back when we only had weekends or an occasional week, we had a 31ft flybridge that got 1.5 mpg. Speed was more important. We only filled up (220gal tank) 2-3 times per year. Later when we did long distance cruising, we switched to a sail cat (though motored most of the time on the ICW), it got 6 mpg but paid for it with slow speed (not an issue when you have months to get to a destination.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 17:27   #35

Quote:
Its funny that people keep asking about or bringing up sailboats when I posted this the the power boat section.
Their comprehension skills are lacking, I see this often.
Old 21-10-2020, 17:36   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Something in that size range should get a bit better than 1 mpg...a 50 mile destination is about 100gal or about $300 in gas for the weekend.

Yes, it's money but he also doesn't have to dump $5-6k in sails and a 50 mile range doesn't translate to 10 hours when the weather turns crap.

We went thru this...back when we only had weekends or an occasional week, we had a 31ft flybridge that got 1.5 mpg. Speed was more important. We only filled up (220gal tank) 2-3 times per year. Later when we did long distance cruising, we switched to a sail cat (though motored most of the time on the ICW), it got 6 mpg but paid for it with slow speed (not an issue when you have months to get to a destination.
Good points, but I question that 1.5 figure at 20 knots especially with twin diesels. Yes, you can run slower, but then a trawler starts making more sense. A cat might be a very good option.
Old 22-10-2020, 00:28   #37

A real world average fuel consumption for a mid-fourties 30,000 lb displacement planing cruiser is about 10 gallons per hour per engine. They usually get about 100 hours of use in a year, which translates to $5000-6000 USD a year in fuel costs at current prices. Probably about a quarter of total running costs or less.
Old 22-10-2020, 00:44   #38

Quote:
Its funny that people keep asking about or bringing up sailboats when I posted this the the power boat section.
Quote:
Their comprehension skills are lacking, I see this often.
If you participate on this CF using the Mobile version of the Forum, you can't see where the New Posts are coming from. All you see is the title of the thread and once you open it, the string of posts.

Since Astropin never specified a powerboat, just a "boat with a diesel engine", those of us who are sailors began to speculate on what 40-foot sailboat we might like...

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 07:05   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
If you participate on this CF using the Mobile version of the Forum, you can't see where the New Posts are coming from. All you see is the title of the thread and once you open it, the string of posts.

Since Astropin never specified a powerboat, just a "boat with a diesel engine", those of us who are sailors began to speculate on what 40-foot sailboat we might like...

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
I see your point using the mobile version, however the OP does state a few comments into the post that he’s looking for a cruising speed of around 20 knots. Unless you’re in a hurricane with all sails out that’s going to be tough to do.
Old 22-10-2020, 07:31   #40

It depends of your needs. Think what you want to do and where you want to travel.
canadianbeethov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 07:36   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
A real world average fuel consumption for a mid-fourties 30,000 lb displacement planing cruiser is about 10 gallons per hour per engine. They usually get about 100 hours of use in a year, which translates to $5000-6000 USD a year in fuel costs at current prices. Probably about a quarter of total running costs or less.
Ummm.....some clarification. "Displacement Planing" are mutually exclusive. It's either a displacement hull, a semi-displacement hull, or a planing hull. These numbers seem really high to me. As a past long-range delivery skipper of powerboats, I can offer some real-world examples:

1. Nordhavn 57. 4500 nms from Long Beach to Ft Lauderdale. 500 hours, 3000 gallons of diesel. Works out to 6 gph, 1.5 nmpg. Averaged 9-kts. Engine was a Lugger 6-cylinder (300 hp)

2. Cheoy Lee 65, a massive twin trawler/motoryacht. Pair of Cat 3208s at around 220 hp each. San Francisco to Hawaii (then on to Tahiti and Austrailia). 7.5 kt average, burned 6 gph total for the two engines

3. Willard 36 (sistership to my boat). San Diego to Hawaii. 2400 nms over 15-days. Around 6.2-kts, burned 330 gallons of diesel (0.9 gph).

4. Willard 40. Long Beach to La Paz. 1000 nms. Burned 1.25 gph and averaged 7.2 kts.

5. Horizon Power Cat 52 (2014) with a pair of Cummins' 550 hp. A beautiful 3-stateroom boat. St Petersburg FL to Dry Tortugas, 450 nms round trip. 36 gph combined at 18-kts (0.5 nm per gallon). At +-kts, boat burns under 7 gph, so under around 1.1 nmpg.

I hope these numbers help.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 07:39   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Ummm.....some clarification. "Displacement Planing" are mutually exclusive.
Unless you read it as was intended: planing hull displacing 30000 pounds.
Old 22-10-2020, 07:45   #43

Quote:
Good points, but I question that 1.5 figure at 20 knots especially with twin diesels. Yes, you can run slower, but then a trawler starts making more sense. A cat might be a very good option.
For a 31-footer, 1.5 nmpg at 20-kts does not seem unreasonable. As mentioned in my post before this, I have run a 52-foot power cat, which is 10x the size of a 31-footer, at 18-kts and saw an honest 0.5 nmpg.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 07:48   #44

Quote:
Because this entire forum is really about 98+% sailing oriented. I'd send you to this forums sister site "TrawlerForum.com" but I'm not sure that is the right direction for you either.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 07:58   #45

A friend of mine has a Sea Ray Sundancer 401 (2001). Nice boat, nice layout, possible (but not easy) to handle single handed. He highly recommends it. Says the 2001-2011 are the ones to own.

Twin diesel's, two heads. Says he can trawl along at 7-8 kts and get decent fuel economy, but obviously has the option to burn fuel if he's in the mood to play around...or to outrun a storm.
Astropin is offline   Reply With Quote