Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2018, 11:41   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Where to get "hands on" with list of potential boats?

You should join Trawlers' Forum, it's just like this one but powerboat and power cruising oriented.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 11:54   #17
Marine Service Provider

You seem honest and sincere, too bad you are getting a lot of nonsensical run-around from a few on this forum. Somehow the conversation strayed to motorhomes?

PM me and I can arrange for a big discount on my Leopard 474 PowerCat in the BVI. Check this model out on line. For live-aboard you would probably want the Owner's Version, both Cruiser's and Owner's are available for sale worldwide. Due to your experience level you will have to hire a skipper and a deck-hand, but insurance and all other expenses (except fuel) are included.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 14:54   #18

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

So if you sift through all of the replies you will see an answer. To experience different boats but not actually drive them there is boatshows and brokers that would be happy to give you a tour of any boat for sale. You don’t have to tell them that actual purchase is years away. To actually pilot a boat you will need to charter with a Captain and I would imagine he or she would let you pilot the boat, at first in open water. They might even after a while let you attempt an easy docking. At first everything is done in open water, you must learn to control the boat. If you are not concerned about speed, I suspect a 38-40 ft. trawler would be just what you need. A fast boat that size burns copious amounts of fuel. Go for it, it’s a wonderful life !
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 15:19   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Go look at a lot of boats until you narrow down the models you like to two or three- then go find a charter company that has the one you like best- charter it with a skipper for a week and see if you still like it. My wife and i were sure we wanted a Morgan 41- fit our budget and we were aboard 4 or 5 at the dock. We chartered one for a week with a skipper and decided that it was not wuite what we wanted- We changed our dream boat to a Morgan 51, a Gulfstar 47, another 50 footer that i cant remember or the Gulfstar 50. We ended up with a Gulfstar 51. REALLY glad we spent the dollars to go check it out in actual conditions. Mind you there was nothing wrong with the Morgan 41 but it just didnt fit all of our needs the way we wanted it to. As far as handling in the marina etc-- you can learn any boat if you take the time and get good instruction- what makes the difference is how it is living on it and sailing it. JMHO
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 18:48   #20

Boat: Flicka 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
How rich are you?

There are plenty of places around the world that where small companies charter different boats but not a lot of regions have examples of every boat. Of course, the more unusual a boat you are looking for the harder it is to find one for charter.

For example, San Juan Sailing in the PNW has these 4 cats for charter which is a bit different than your normal cat fare...
Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41
Nautitech Open 40
Seawind 1160 (38')
Gemini 105 (34')

So I think you'd have to be more specific about what boats you are looking for to get much help.
San Juan Sailing is an excellent choice because they have an ASA sailing school too. I took a week long course from them for ASA 101, 103 and 104. They have courses for both monohull and catamaran boats. For mono’s they use are about 45 feet for the ASA schools. A good starting point. Great way to experience the sailing and live aboard life for a week.

CaptainJohn49
CaptainJohn49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 20:37   #21

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Where are you located?

Perhaps you can find some one in your area that would take you as a guest for a sail and let you experience 1st hand what its like....even let you take the helm for a bit when its safe for you to do so.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 23:23   #22

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumqik View Post
This boat will be solo'd by myself and I have been told 50-55 feet is about max size for one person to dock and maneuver safely.
The above is not exactly correct. It is not the size, rather the experience that matters more. For a novice, 25 feet is probably a better benchmark. Many other factors also contribute such as the number of drives, windage, freeboard, displacement, and how long does it take to get from the helm to the mid-ship cleat (and whether you can reach the cleat on the dock from there).

You can visit Miami boat show in February, and check out different models and different sizes. A 55 foot power boat appears the size of a mansion. Even a 40 foot trawler or a motor yacht is huge when you need to leave a dock or return to it.

At Miami boat show you can also see used boats presented by brokers; there used to be a separatevsection, a “brokerage raw,” on Miami Beach. There is another venue with new and used large powerboats called TrawlerFest. They used to have one in Ft. Lauderdale, but the location changes.

Once you narrow down what suits you, see if you can find one to charter (rent) with a captain. Some charter outfits offer boat handling instructions as a part of a charter. It may be difficult, however, to locate a particular boat in a charter fleet, so you may need to substitute with something similar.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 13:02   #23

Thank you each and every one for your responses. I do plan to take my time and I believe the best advice has been to visit some boat shows, taking educational classes, narrow the selection down to a couple then charter something close to my choices.
I understand that RV's and boats are leagues apart but I have spent some time in an RV in all types of weather so the size aspect is not an issue. Learning how the boat feels at dock and on plane doesn't mean I will be the one piloting it-I know the sellers/their reps of the boat will not allow a novice to pilot their half million dollar yachts. Yes, the chance to handle it in open, unoccupied waters would be wonderful but there would need to be some education on my part and some financial protection on theirs first.
I plan to take this endeavor very cautiously and carefully as it entails everything I own.
Thank you again to all who've responded and I appreciate your input.
plumqik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:31   #24

Boat: Grand Soleil 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
How rich are you?

There are plenty of places around the world that where small companies charter different boats but not a lot of regions have examples of every boat. Of course, the more unusual a boat you are looking for the harder it is to find one for charter.

For example, San Juan Sailing in the PNW has these 4 cats for charter which is a bit different than your normal cat fare...
Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41
Nautitech Open 40
Seawind 1160 (38')
Gemini 105 (34')

So I think you'd have to be more specific about what boats you are looking for to get much help.
Very valid point. BUT
Good live onboard boats are normally not charter boats. Good live onboard boats are too expensive, as they age, they are too old as a charter boat.

My advice is:
- Go sailing. Join as a crew with friends.
- If you don't have some qualifications, get some. Then start sailing. Join a delivery company to deliver yachts from A to B. You quickly get some experience.
- Get friends that are sailors.
- Join a yacht club.
- As you move forward make up a list of what you like (and what you don't like).
- Look at your budget. Purchase the boat is easy, the hard part is keeping it.

Good luck,
Mogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 18:07   #25

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
How to buy a boat:
See boat
Love boat
Do a personal survey (Purchase Costs below)
Make offer contingent on professional marine survey and sea trial
Hire a marine surveyor to do a Professional Survey
Review survey and get estimates on important repairs
Perform sea trial with owner and someone whose opinion you trust
Finally, do one of the following:
Adjust offering price to reflect problems found in survey.
Conclude the sale at the offered price.
Keep looking - the right boat is out there!

Most sellers will want the prospective buyer to agree to a price before a sea-trial & survey. It would not be uncommon to retain a refundable deposit (perhaps in escrow) and signed contract with an "acceptance of vessel clause" with regard to a successful survey and sea-trial.

See ➥ https://www.passagemaker.com/technic...me-others-know
Great information! Thanks!
DaveKurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 19:09   #26

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Hey, pay attention: The lady is talking about a motor yacht, not a sailing yacht. So advice to take ASA this or that or going sailing a lot is not helping out. (Although a far better way to spend time!)

And for the OP: Madam, do you have any idea of the running costs of a planing 50+ foot motor yacht? The term stupefying comes to my mind ! This may not matter to you, but lots of neophytes don't grasp these numbers prior to purchase and the second trip to the fuel wharf... not so long after the first one!

Good luck in your journey... life afloat beats the hell out of dirt dwelling.

Jim

Tags
boat