Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2018, 12:46   #1

Where to get "hands on" with list of potential boats?

I am still a few years from taking the plunge and buying a live-aboard. Its a big move as I will be trading a sticks and bricks home for a floating one. So I really want to make the right choice; in my viewings of videos I have narrowed my choices down. Where would one be able to get a "hands on" feel for a particular boat? I am not talking survey yet but I will be prior to making a purchase but I want to drive one, feel it at dock, put it into her slip to get a feel for the thrusters, etc.

Any ideas on how to be able to actually feel/ride/drive 50-55 footer for the first time without actually writing a check for it?
plumqik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 13:29   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Where to get "hands on" with list of potential boats?

Why would you trade a house for a sailboat when you have what appears to be little experience sailing or boating.?

Why not buy a small boat and sail while you live at home until you get some experience
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 13:41   #3

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Why would you trade a house for a sailboat when you have what appears to be little experience sailing or boating.?

Why not buy a small boat and sail while you live at home until you get some experience
Probably because he wants to see what a 50 footer feels and handles like.

It's like saying if you want to see what living in a class A motor home is like, go camping for a while.
sheesh.

He also said in a few years.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 13:49   #4

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumqik View Post
I am still a few years from taking the plunge and buying a live-aboard. Its a big move as I will be trading a sticks and bricks home for a floating one. So I really want to make the right choice; in my viewings of videos I have narrowed my choices down. Where would one be able to get a "hands on" feel for a particular boat? I am not talking survey yet but I will be prior to making a purchase but I want to drive one, feel it at dock, put it into her slip to get a feel for the thrusters, etc.

Any ideas on how to be able to actually feel/ride/drive 50-55 footer for the first time without actually writing a check for it?
How rich are you?

There are plenty of places around the world that where small companies charter different boats but not a lot of regions have examples of every boat. Of course, the more unusual a boat you are looking for the harder it is to find one for charter.

For example, San Juan Sailing in the PNW has these 4 cats for charter which is a bit different than your normal cat fare...
Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41
Nautitech Open 40
Seawind 1160 (38')
Gemini 105 (34')

So I think you'd have to be more specific about what boats you are looking for to get much help.
Old 25-12-2018, 14:06   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumqik View Post

If you are in Florida there are several charter companies that have boats over 50 feet long. IMHO a simple “mid-day sunset charter” of 2.5 hours will give you a good taste for the boat. After sampling the various boats, then charter one for a day.

Feel free to PM me as I do charters with a firm between deliveries and can give better details back channel.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 14:31   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
Probably because he wants to see what a 50 footer feels and handles like.

It's like saying if you want to see what living in a class A motor home is like, go camping for a while.
sheesh.

He also said in a few years.
Nice, but I think it's best to become really good and experienced with sailing/boating before selling your home and buying a boat.

Otherwise, it's a total gamble

Also a motorhome and a boat are totally different. it's a lot easier to transition to a motorhome
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 01:42   #7

I have plans to attend several levels of boating classes in the near future and yes, I am here in FL. Education is paramount to learn but its kinda like your first job: do you have any experience? if not, no job-I understand I will need to gain experience to make an formed decision and to be safe. If not on my own vessel then where?

The types of boats I am interested in are all power-no sailing. I am looking at several different makes, diesel powered, aft cabins, tender garage, upper galley. They are pricey now and I may not get some of them due to this at the end but I hope to see them in my price range in a few years-maybe 7 or sooner. In the meantime I want to see them, up close, look them over, walk thru one, get a feel for each one then I can narrow it down. This boat will be solo'd by myself and I have been told 50-55 feet is about max size for one person to dock and maneuver safely.
And I am female so that must also be put into consideration altho it shouldn't really matter but it will.
So given that load of info, what do you guys think?
plumqik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 04:37   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

How to buy a boat:
See boat
Love boat
Do a personal survey (Purchase Costs below)
Make offer contingent on professional marine survey and sea trial
Hire a marine surveyor to do a Professional Survey
Review survey and get estimates on important repairs
Perform sea trial with owner and someone whose opinion you trust
Finally, do one of the following:
Adjust offering price to reflect problems found in survey.
Conclude the sale at the offered price.
Keep looking - the right boat is out there!

Most sellers will want the prospective buyer to agree to a price before a sea-trial & survey. It would not be uncommon to retain a refundable deposit (perhaps in escrow) and signed contract with an "acceptance of vessel clause" with regard to a successful survey and sea-trial.

See ➥ https://www.passagemaker.com/technic...me-others-know

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 08:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
How to buy a boat:
See boat
Love boat
Do a personal survey (Purchase Costs below)
Make offer contingent on professional marine survey and sea trial
Hire a marine surveyor to do a Professional Survey
Review survey and get estimates on important repairs
Perform sea trial with owner and someone whose opinion you trust
Finally, do one of the following:
Adjust offering price to reflect problems found in survey.
Conclude the sale at the offered price.
Keep looking - the right boat is out there!

Most sellers will want the prospective buyer to agree to a price before a sea-trial & survey. It would not be uncommon to retain a refundable deposit (perhaps in escrow) and signed contract with an "acceptance of vessel clause" with regard to a successful survey and sea-trial.

In addition to the above, I would suggest chartering the boat you think you love for at least a week to simulate as much as possible the way you will use and live on the boat, before you sell your house. If possible I would go even slower taking baby steps and enjoying the process before selling your house. For example maybe you can rent a boat to live on for a couple of months even if it is smaller or not as nice as what you want to buy to see what live-a-board life style is like. You likely will learn a lot about what you must have on board and don't need on board. That could save you a lot money especially if you can get the boat you like for the long term on the first try. I think it is stupendous as a single woman you are going for it. Enjoy!
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 08:51   #10

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
with regard to a successful survey and sea-trial.

Thanks! This is a good read.

My current boat we only ran at 100% for 2 minutes. The surveyor said that if anything's going to break it will be within those 2 minutes. He was pretty accurate because at 1:45 the port side transmission failed and had to be rebuilt prior to us finalizing the deal.

We currently have this boat up for sale. A "perspective" buyer wanted me to take him on a joy ride. My broker thought it would be a good idea to "help push him make a decision". The broker is also representing the buyer - go figure. I told the broker NO! If the buyer wants to sea trail then he can submit and offer and if I accept the terms, he's more than willing to sea trail the boat with a licensed captain. There's a reason why broker rhymes with joker!
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 08:54   #11

With the exception of chartering, what you are asking for doesn't exist.

This like requesting to live in a house for a week to see if you like before you buy it.

Even with a new boat, you rare have an opportunity to take one out for a test drive. Purchasing a boat isn't like purchasing a car either.

Honestly, if you are stepping into a large boat with no experience, you wouldn't be able to clearly identify differences in handling characteristics of two boats anyway. If you've never driven a tractor trailer, then attempted to park two different models, you're simply not going to see the characteristics beyond how much different they are from your car.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 10:10   #12

Plumqik:

Rack my brain as I may, I can find no gentle way to say this, and although I'm perfectly capable of being circumlocutory, my being so would not serve you well :-)

I would not, being in possession of a 30-ton hammer valued at half a million bux or more, let you drive it in a marina, whatever enticement you might offer me. The potential for EXPENSIVE damage would simply be too great. Anyone can drive a stink-pot in open (deep) water where there is nothing to hit. In a marina it's a whole different ball game, for driving a boat has NOTHING in common with driving, say, a Corvette or a Ram 350. Remember that a scatch in your gelcoast can set you back a coupla grand and a bent pulpit something north of five!

Additionally, there may very well be a clause in the insurance policy on a boat of this size and value restricting its operation to named individuals or to individuals in possession of certain, named qualifications. If the vessel, driven by you (you not being a named operator and not in possession of specified qualifications), damages someone else's property, the insurance may not cover! And would I, having lost a suit for damages to the owner of the damaged property, then be able to recover from you? And what assets would you, having lost a suit by me against you, have to dispose of to settle a judgement against you for, say, fifty grand? And how long would it take for you to do so?

As for qualifications, in THIS jurisdiction (which may well have different legislation from yours), to drive a boat with anything over 9.9HP, you are required to have a Small Craft Operators' Card, i.e. a “boat driver's licence”. My Canadian one is valid in the US as well, but down towards the SE corner of the continent I would not take on trust that local LEOs would know that.

I would think, but I wouldn't know without looking it up, that where you are, some sort of paper evidence of competense is also required, and if you don't have it, you can be certain that damage done by a vessel you were helming would not be covered by insurance. Always remember that insurance adjusters are employed by underwriters for the specific purpose of DENYING claims by all means available.

It is customary that a “deposit” on an “offer to purchase” is 10% of the listing price of the house or boat that is being sold. So in order to impel an honorable, competent seller's agent to take you out for a “sea trial”, of a boat worth a quarter million bux, you'd need to write him a cheque for five and twenty grand. And wait for it to clear :-)! Be aware that unless the offer specified IN THESE WORDS (referring to the deposit) “which shall form part of the purchase price”, the twennyfive big ones reverts to EARNEST MONEY. The implication of that is that if it turns out that you were just playing silly-buggers and wanting to go out for a pleasant day on the water, the broker – on behalf of the owner – gets to keep the money!!

So please listen to my friends who've given you excellent advice above: Take baby-steps. Don't get too big for your boots. Let us guide you. We'll be happy to do so :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 10:26   #13

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Here's a book that may help. It goes through the buying process and offers some insight to living aboard a boat.

The Essentials of Living Aboard A Boat, The Definitive Guide for Liveaboards by Mark Nicholas

https://www.amazon.com/Essentials-Li...+aboard+a+boat
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 10:30   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

There are not many free ways to gain the kind of hands one experience you seem to be seeking plumqik. It’s usually not too hard to get a tour of a boat sitting at the dock or anchorage. If you are a pleasant person, who is showing honest interest and admiration for a boat, it’s common to be allowed to step on board for a tour.

But as TP put so well, there is no way someone is going to hand you the keys and let a complete novice take it for a spin — most especially not in a marina.

That said, with your obvious financial means, there is likely ways for you to buy a solution. Chartering is the obvious and clear way, but I bet if you throw enough money at the problem you can find a way to hire desired boats for a shorter periods, which would probably include you purchasing necessary insurance.

Given your lack of experience I’m with those who suggest you start smaller. This is smarter than trying to leap in at this rather large size. Not that it can’t be done, but …
Old 26-12-2018, 11:11   #15

The best way I can describe buying a 50' boat to live on (especially if it is your first go), in as few words as possible, is it is a lot closer to picking a spouse than buying a car.

Take your time enjoy the process. Take baby steps. Get as much experience with similar boats and especially with the one you think you love before going down the aisle.

Similar to marriage there are a lot of things that can be established and are much easier, better to be established before you sign on the dotted line.

There are a much higher percentage of "divorced" boats sitting alone on the hard than single, ex marrieds.

The famous old, cliche is: "The second happiest day of a person's life is when he buys his boat, and the most happy day of a person's life is when he sells his boat".
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat