Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2011, 04:15   #16

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Which motorcat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djambalawa View Post
Thanks heaps catman - mate what's your opinion on my pros/cons on outboards above?
I am OK with outboards to a degree, on the right design, I even toyed with the idea on a different build when I was originally thinking of a 40fter, but I wanted range and the idea of carrying 1500+ litres of petrol was less than appealing, plus I had my concerns about cavitation with motors so far aft, motors being pooped and being a hindrance for boarding, swim steps and dinghy launch and retrieval.

I also wanted very basic engines (no electronics) and the new breed of outboard are not that at all.

I was very swiftly convinced that basic, slow spinning, robust diesels would be the answer
Old 22-06-2011, 19:15   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
I am OK with outboards to a degree, on the right design, I even toyed with the idea on a different build ...

I was very swiftly convinced that basic, slow spinning, robust diesels would be the answer
Agreed for your needs mate - but not so clear cut with perhaps smaller cats?

Have you got any links to this project boat of yours? Are you building it yourself?

My wife likes the Argus the most out of the various suggestions here It might be great with the 70hp diesels... although it seems to go ok with the 90hp suzukis. I rang the guy and he didn't recommend using it with 60hp yamaha high thrusts.
djambalawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 19:54   #18

Quote:
Agreed for your needs mate - but not so clear cut with perhaps smaller cats?
Depends how many miles you plan on doing and how comfortable you feel carrying large quantities of explosive liquids

Quote:
Have you got any links to this project boat of yours? Are you building it yourself?
There are some pictures in my gallery

Quote:
My wife likes the Argus the most out of the various suggestions here
Really?
What does she see as the difference between the Chamberlain with 50hp diesels

And the Argus with the 90hp outboards

Apart from the chamberlain being $160,000 cheaper

Quote:
I rang the guy and he didn't recommend using it with 60hp yamaha high thrusts.
Interesting, their flybridge model clearly shows it with 60hp outboards
Are they saying that didn't work?
Argus Boats - E35 Cruising Power Catamaran - Flybridge Model
Old 22-06-2011, 20:33   #19

Hmm I might have got mixed up and told her that it only has double beds... I better makes sure she takes a look! I see after checking again it has queens... it sure is a lot cheaper - like its 2nd hand and the other is new so its not a fair price comparison but at least its within my realms of possibility!

So you'd pilot it to Darwin for me?
Old 22-06-2011, 22:16   #20

Quote:
Hmm I might have got mixed up and told her that it only has double beds... I better makes sure she takes a look! I see after checking again it has queens... it sure is a lot cheaper - like its 2nd hand and the other is new so its not a fair price comparison but at least its within my realms of possibility!
I would think if his last vessel was anything to go by she would probably present almost as new, plus, as he has done a lot of cruising, there would be many nice additions to Nav, safety and living that would not be on a new vessel or on one that just gets used as a weekend toy.

Quote:
So you'd pilot it to Darwin for me?
Yes (conditions apply PM for details if serious)
Old 23-06-2011, 16:02   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
I would think if his last vessel was anything to go by she would probably present almost as new, plus, as he has done a lot of cruising, there would be many nice additions to Nav, safety and living that would not be on a new vessel or on one that just gets used as a weekend toy.

Yes (conditions apply PM for details if serious)

Yep good points mate. I've just talked to them and it just so happens I'm in Brisbane in a week for work so I might be able to take a look at it.

I would seriously be interested in some kind of help to get whatever boat to Darwin mate as I don't have any experience in handling large boats and the Eastern coast - so I'll definately keep this in mind thanks.
Old 23-06-2011, 17:01   #22

Had a look at the Argus at the boat show. It's a nice boat with good use of the space. But it's way over the $250k budget mentioned. Closer to $400k I think.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 17:30   #23

There is a Schionning Prowler 10m going really cheap at the moment, its been dropped from 350k to 260k for a month or so - and it is a REAL bargain, does everything you mention too. Problem is I gather you aren't looking at buying right this second, so might not be a great option.

Have you thought about building yourself? You seem to have the timeframe and you could get a great boat for 250k...

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers.
Old 23-06-2011, 17:46   #24

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Also when you are in Brisbane check out some of Bob Orams designs which are very efficient at low power and work.

They can be powered by low HP diesels or outboard and seem more efficient than the Roger hill designs.

This one being built at present 40 mins north of airport and should be close to finished Upolu 10 « Bob Oram Design

or the http://boboramdesign.wordpress.com/agincourt-14/http

Oram,s test rig Video of Bob Oram’s Power Boat « Bob Oram Design

The Chaimberlain cat seems good value.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 17:48   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-Schionning View Post
There is a Schionning Prowler 10m going really cheap at the moment, its been dropped from 350k to 260k for a month or so - and it is a REAL bargain, does everything you mention too. .
Have you got a link to that one Ben?

Quote:
does everything you mention too.
Like run on 50-60hp motors?

I was under the impression they are more designed for speed, looking at the lifting strake on the hull and the one for sale with 225hp V6's x 2.
Old 23-06-2011, 18:06   #26

Prowler Vt 1000: Power Boats | Boats Online for Sale | Duflex | New South Wales (NSW) - Lemon Tree Passage Nsw

It has two 140 outboards, it uses about 1 litre a mile at 10 knots. 1.5 litres a mile at 15 knots. The efficiency is a pretty linear progression.

It has the VT hull shape which is a planing shape.

Despite the 345k price tag on the above link, it is now being advertised at 260k and is located in Lemon Tree Passage, Port stephens.
Old 23-06-2011, 18:24   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-Schionning View Post
It has two 140 outboards, it uses about 1 litre a mile at 10 knots. 1.5 litres a mile at 15 knots. The efficiency is a pretty linear progression.
Yes, that's the same one I commented on
All the ads for it on the internet quite clearly show 2 x 225hp v6 as the power plants.

Maybe you should tell them to correct the ads as it would certainly be putting me off, but then 140hp would as well, if I was after 60hp.
Old 23-06-2011, 18:40   #28

Sorry Cat Man, Its me who is giving the wrong info. My mistake, the 140s are on another Prowler, this is indeed 225s. Sorry. The consumption figures are still correct though.
Old 24-06-2011, 10:56   #29

Boat: Woods, Romany, 34ft

WHICH MOTORCAT

I also want a cat for liveaboard/fishing/cruising. My budget is also under US$ 200000. I have come to the conclusion that:-
a)A cat of about 35 ft would be safe and comfortable.
b)New production boats are over my budget and they are in any case are of dated designs because of the cost of moulds.
c) Second hand boats would entail refitting and high maintenance cost down the road. In any case they entail a risk.
d) A boat designed by a designer like Richard Woods and Kurt Hughs would be of latest design, hence economical to operate, one would be able to have changes made in the interior layout to suit ones needs.
e)There are a number of boatyards in China, Vietnam, Sri Lanka and Pakistan who offer very economical construction costs and completion in 6 months.
d) I estimate that the total cost would be well within the US$ 200K estimate.
inamk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 18:58   #30
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Yeah I should've mentioned sorry I think I'd be happy mostly cruising at 7-10 knots and be able to perhaps get to 14 knots if I was in more of a hurry... I guess 16 is great too if it can be done relatively economically

Those Argus' do look interesting.. they should run with something like the Yamaha 60 high thrusts I guess?

I like the rumbler - is it for sale? It seemed to be going by the description but I couldn't see it listed on the site.
Although the Argus E35 would work with engines all of the way down to 15HP provided that they had 25" legs, the decision to go with 90HP Suzuki outboards was driven by other factors.
  • The vessel comes standard with Glendinning electronic engine controls. The Suzuki 70/80/90 HP engine series was known to work well with these controls. Mechanical controls posed too big a problem considering ergonomics and a cable run length of over 12 metres.
  • We targeted a 12 to 16 knot cruising speed, at which point the Suzuki 90HP was running at a comfortable RPM (stress level). Although 60 HP engines could approach 18 knots at WOT, the 1 litre class engines sound very busy at the target cruise speed - the vessel is far more comfortable with the larger (1.5 litre) engine.
  • The 90HP was chosen over the 70 and 80 to give the best top end sprint speed (20 knots) for bar crossings.
  • At the target cruise speed, the larger capacity engines are working in a more fuel efficient zone of operation.

As an end note, we were reminded during sea trials as to how tide, wind and sea conditions can influence fuel economy figures. At relatively low speeds a knot or two of current has a significant impact on litres per mile. So if fuel economy is an important buying factor, make a point of checking it yourself as part of any sea trial before buying.

Gary Pacey
Argus Boats
outbackgary is offline   Reply With Quote