Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2020, 01:43   #1

Whittley CR 2380 - Suitable for offshore trips, or is there something better?

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of difficulty gauging the best boat to buy. Ideally, I'd like to travel offshore as well as in rivers and bays. As an example for offshore, let's say I'd like to travel distances like: Botany Bay > NSW South Coast (Narooma).

I have a budget of about 100k in mind, and intend to buy new - largely because I like that untouched feeling, and because I have a little more control over the stock options, appearance, etc.

I'm currently leaning towards the Whittley CR 2380. The issue I'm having with this is that I can see plenty of reviews of it being taken out into bays and such, but none about open-water trips. Is this boat capable of safely taking 2-4 people (myself included) out along the example trip above, or am I asking for a world of hurt attempting that in this boat?

I'm open to other suggestions in my budget range, but so far I'm not seeing much out there that fit the bill and are in that price range. In case it's useful, I've made a little list of things I'm looking for in a boat and assigned a 0-10 weight to them (10 being something that's important to me, and 0 being something I really don't care about). This unicorn might not exist, but if I can get something that mostly fits the bill that's in budget I'd be stoked.
  • Safety (10) - I'd rather not "push the limits" of the boat. I'm looking for something that a reasonably conservative person thinks should be fine to get through the conditions / weather I might be subjected to travelling along the NSW coast line.
  • Overnighter (8) (enclosed cabin of some kind for an overnight trip with my wifey)
  • Dash-size (6) Room on the dash for a reasonable size screen, or screens. Say, a 9" at the smallest.
  • Bimini (6)
  • Fishing (4) - Would like to occasionally fish to catch our own lunch, but nothing that I'd consider serious fishing
  • Activities (3) - Wifey is interested in potentially starting diving and I have some mates that would enjoy being pulled along the back, but this isn't a critical factor
  • Basic ammenities (10) - 12v power built-in or as an option, kettle, fan, running water (cold is fine), basic toilet (doesn't need to be fancy)
  • BBQ option (6) - I quite like the Whittley option for a BBQ on the back, but I can live without it if it's not featured on an otherwise suitable boat

Many thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply
boatymcboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:11   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Whittley CR 2380 - Suitable for offshore trips, or is there something better?

It looks like the boat has a planing hull which will go much faster than a displacement hull but at the cost of very high fuel usage (1-2nm/gal or thereabouts) and poor sea keeping in rough exposed weather.

I know folks who went around the world on a 46’ trawler style hull at about 6kt and got something in the vicinity of 4-6nm/gal). The trawler style is generally more suitable to riding out rough weather at sea.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 15:07   #3
cruiser

Re: Whittley CR 2380 - Suitable for offshore trips, or is there something better?

I believe you are pushing the limits of that boat to spend any significant time outside the sight of land, and it’s probably a bit risky in coastal waters during bad weather, so you would want to be able to skedadle home if bad weather shows up.

All ocean travel is a traffic of risks, and generally speaking the larger the boat the less risk. Heavier style also, so a Trawler or maybe an offshore cat would be good for you. I understand in your region they have more catamarans than we do.
thirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 13:23   #4

Hi I have just joined this forum and your post is basically identical to my situation and boat requirements in 2021, we are based in Port Stephens.
I am also keen on the W2380, just wondering did you go with this boat and does it meet your needs ?
Thanks
JJBOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 14:26   #5

Boat: Sea Ray, Sundancer 420

I've previously owned a 2080 & to be honest I wouldn't be taking a Whittley up or down the east coast of Australia on a long trip. The boat will probably hold up but it will be majorly uncomfortable in a swell. Fuel may also be an issue. Have you thought about something a little bigger? Like a Mustang 3200? Twin engine & comfortably under 100,000.
woftam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offshore