Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2021, 22:38   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS
Re: Who pays for the captain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican_38 View Post
In my limited experience (4 purchases, 3 sales) - whoever owns the boat operates the boat (or their representative does). Whoever asks for a haul out and inspection pays for a haul out and inspection.

The only time the boat is not under the control of the seller's rep is when the buyer (or possibly his surveyor) takes the helm during sea trial. But the sellers rep is still responsible for the operation of the vessel during this time.
This is what happened when I bought my boat in August of 2020. The owner's broker took the boat in and out of the marina for liability reasons but once at sea he let me take the helm and operate the instruments.
The owner was kind enough to let my wife and I stay in the boat the entire day even after the broker left. Owner was old school....he even had the Jeanneau 41DS completely cleaned and waxed the day before we took delivery. This purchase was one of the most pleasant transactions we have ever had.
On the other hand, we had just walked away after two months of on and off negotiations on a Jeanneau 45DS in Seattle. The broker and the owner were miserable people. I guess we got lucky the second time.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 23:02   #17

Boat: Cabo Rico 42/Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
I don't understand those who say they don't want a buyer to be able to exercize all equipment on a boat, including running the engines at WOT for a bit, and use all winches etc. That is what a sea trial is for, to see what does and does not work properly. Diesels should be able to run at WOT without overheating or any other problem
OK run the engine at WOT I have enough confidence in the mighty Yanmar to run at full throttle for 30 min or more loaded, with no problems, but, as the owner of the boat I expect my written requests to be followed by my broker, hired captain and the buyers broker. The issue is as follows:
Boat has a furling boom for the main sail. There is a power winch ordered by the original owner (80yrs+ when he commissioned the boat). I expressly requested the power winch not be used during the sea trial, but Flipping dufuse, (nice name for the buyers broker) insisted on using it to furl the main on the boom. The power winch does not grunt like you and I when the line gets tight. It is something like the EverReady bunny, it keeps on going and going and going, until BANG the 10,000 lb spectra line blows up. Flipping Dufuse makes an excuse like, well the line was chafed and that's why it broke. He refused to take responsibility and cover the $250 replacement cost. Oh, by the way, did I mention I like brokers even less than lawyers?
Cabo Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:02   #18

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moretolife View Post
If the owner can’t drive the boat , and an outside captain needs to bring the boat to the marina for hull out for a survey , who pays for the captain and the boat gas , the seller or the buyer? Thank you
It seems to be a seller's market at the moment, so while I think it's a good idea not to hand over the responsibility of handling the boat to the buyer, it could well be possible that they could foot the bill.

More broadly speaking, doing transactions with people that seem honest and upfront is a good strategy. (Or maybe this is valid just in the Finnish/Nordic culture )

Tags
captain