Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2019, 21:48   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Wood vs Fiberglass

Extremely hard to sell a wood boat in NZ now. I personally love looking at them but they are much more work on average. You are constantly fighting rot.
You can get very strong ones made with double or triple skins of wood epoxied together that arent too bad.
You can get a wood boat of the same length much cheaper. I wonder why?
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 23:59   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
It's analogous to buying a car with 100 miles on it versus 200,000 miles. The 200,000 mile car is going to be much cheaper but the maintenace expenses are going to be more frequent and more expensive.

Only you can decide if reliability or cost is going to be more important.

For something that keeps you alive and your loved ones alive, I would pick reliable.
More like a steam powered car vs a modern fuel injected gas engine.

Other than the cool factor, nothing comes out ahead for a wood boat...hence you can buy them dirt cheap.

I encourage you to buy and maintain one to keep these historical objects around because they are beautiful but if you want a convenient boat to do a quick 2yr cruise and then sell, it's a bad idea.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 00:17   #18

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-d View Post
My question is more to do with structural integrity and ability to handle heavy seas without disintegration. In other words, are wooden trawlers, in good condition, as structurally-seaworth as a similar boat in fiberglass?
We have thousands of years experience with wooden boats, tens of years with fiberglass. Why should a wooden boat not be able to handle heavy seas?
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:19   #19

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

I have a cold molded timber yacht.. The maintenance isnt that bad.. Id never own any other wooden boat though. I have seen planks spring and the work needed to float them. Especially when you get to sailing grounds where marinas dont understand timber boats need to float in water to take up.
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 21:39   #20

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

We have thousands of years experience with wooden boats, tens of years with fiberglass. Why should a wooden boat not be able to handle heavy seas?

Wooden boats can handle high seas, don't think that's an issue for boats designed to be on the high sea, whether wood or fiberglass. Many fiberglass boats are considered safe for high seas operation when in reality they are not. One factor for example is windows: how big, how thick, how structurally sound in difficult water?
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass