Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2017, 11:54   #31

Boat: Cruisers 375
Re: Your ideal Bahamas powerboat and mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradlesh View Post
Currently gearing up my 38' Chris Craft Commander for a several month stay in the Bahamas. I am about 28000 lbs loaded with a planning hull. Twin 250 crusaders get 1 mpg at 8.5 kts for a 350 mile range. Can get up to 26 kts when needed but sucks tanks dry quickly (60-70 gph). Great cockpit for fishing and room for 6 on flybridge. Has enough space to easily provision for 90 days and enough battery to last 2.5 days without cranking engines or 9k genset. Needs good weather for coming and going but comfortable while there
Interesting. Love that boat, love those 327s, but you are burning twice the fuel I am in a similar size boat with much bigger gas engines (496s). Something like that boat with more modern engines would double the range and halve the fuel costs, and maybe more reliability and less maintenance? My best friend bought a Commander of that size and vintage in fantastic shape, can't wait to see it get in the water, but he's too swamped working on other people's boats to get it ready.
30West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 18:44   #32

Typo in my post. I have twin 350 crusaders not 250's. Big ol' 454s
Bradlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 18:55   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradlesh View Post
Typo in my post. I have twin 350 crusaders not 250's. Big ol' 454s
Ah, I wondered about that. My 496s are basically stroked 454s with injection and everything controlled by computers. Super reliable, right until they aren't, then hopefully I just need Chevy parts. 454s tend to run a long time.
Old 19-03-2017, 19:12   #34

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

I agree 100%. I have litium Ion tools. They work great...then they don't. No warning like the earlier batteries that would run the tool slower when they were drained.

Same for engines, the old engines never ran great, but would run good enough. You would get plenty of warning before complete failure.

Now the computer controlled engines run great. Turn the key and they start....until they don't.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 19:31   #35

One of the benefits of a big Chevy engine is there are plenty of Chevy mechanics who can work on it. But I don't think this Mercruiser version has the OBDII port a Chevy mechanic would need to diagnose all the electronics, at least I haven't found one for my scanner. If plugs and injectors don't heal a problem, I'll have to start paying the long dollar for marina mechanics I don't particularly trust. Gotta pay to play.
Old 24-04-2019, 11:35   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
I am a Florida boater with extensive visits to Grand Bahama, Walkers, Abaco, Exuma and Eleuthera. both my own boats and crew for others. Have seen kids from Stuart, Miami and Lauderdale clearing customs in 18' center consoles, but I like to have a little more room, plus a head. Here is my list

#1 Flybridge - with many areas uncharted, poor charts and shifting bottom, the most critical element for navigation visibility before you hit the reef or sandbar.

#2 Outboard or outdrive - gets you places others will never explore

#3 Single engine with back-up kicker, or two smaller outboards. I agree, twin inboards are a bear to work on

#4 Top speed of 15-20 is all you need. Unless you like getting beat up and sitting in bean bag for hours on end
24' min, 28' to 32' best, 40' max, unless you can afford a big sportfish with gen set and all the amenities of home so you can live aboard and not pay for dockage and power

Stay in hotels/ rental homes, but have a boat with at least v-berths so you can overnight on for those long runs
I'm a newbie here and I realize I am digging up an ancient thread, but - are there any specific boats that would meet all the requirements specified above by flyingfin?
First Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 12:03   #37

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Draft View Post
I'm a newbie here and I realize I am digging up an ancient thread, but - are there any specific boats that would meet all the requirements specified above by flyingfin?
Rosborough 246
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 13:42   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Rosborough 246
I don't think I've seen one with a flybridge.
Old 24-04-2019, 13:57   #39

True but my first answer is always a Rosborough 246. A flybridge would be an interesting addition.
Old 24-04-2019, 14:05   #40

How about a Bertram 28 repowered with outboards?
Old 24-04-2019, 14:27   #41

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

i would consider any of the Albin boats a better choice. "Any" according to hip pocket size of course.
https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/ya...rine-for-sale/

Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 18:35   #42

Quote:
True but my first answer is always a Rosborough 246. A flybridge would be an interesting addition.
Oh, OK - I could probably do that. I mean, I built a Tolman Skiff, so adding a flybridge should be a piece of cake. ��
Old 24-04-2019, 21:27   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Draft View Post
Oh, OK - I could probably do that. I mean, I built a Tolman Skiff, so adding a flybridge should be a piece of cake. ��
Although I know we're both kidding I did try to google it & it looks like it's never been done. Lobster boats with their traditional soft chines are a little rolly but I've seen towers on small flats boats around here so I bet it could work. You can probably tell I'm a big fan of lobster boats with their easily driven seaworthy hulls. Oddly enough Tolman Skiffs, although hard chined dories, actually share the same attributes.
Old 25-04-2019, 03:46   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, First Draft.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 05:19   #45

Quote:
Although I know we're both kidding I did try to google it & it looks like it's never been done. Lobster boats with their traditional soft chines are a little rolly but I've seen towers on small flats boats around here so I bet it could work. You can probably tell I'm a big fan of lobster boats with their easily driven seaworthy hulls. Oddly enough Tolman Skiffs, although hard chined dories, actually share the same attributes.
Actually, I wasn't kidding. I could do it - the challenge would be to make it look good...and not add too much weight up top.

Tags
Bahamas, boat