Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2016, 19:16   #31
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: 6-pack sea time questions

Quote:
. I took my first exam in the early 80s at a school in the Virgin Islands. There were about 20 people in the class and by the end I figured that I was almost the only one in the class that actually had sea time. Self recording of sea time was a joke. We had a kid in the class that had only run a skiff down wind at a resort to bring the windsurfers back that could not sail well enough. He and several others didnt know that a compass had 360 degrees and had a hard time comprehending how a compass worked. The scary part was that most of the class passed and got their 6 Pack.
I observed the same: Got my 6-pack in the Virgin Islands in 1985 and I was almost the only guy with real sea-time from the Merchant Marine. One guy was a deck hand on the glass bottom Reef Queen for a few months, but that was okay. Everybody got their tickets.
Let the 6-pack expire. Much harder in Fort Lauderdale 15 years later, more documentation, more this, more that. Should have kept the 6-pack and just renewed and upgraded.
100 ton now and it have put money in my pocket with cheaper insurance and the occasionally charter, delivery and Capt's job.
Old 28-10-2016, 19:27   #32
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Curious once again: why a requirement for offshore mileage for a coastal cert?

Jim
RYA Coastal is out 1,000nm. Good license.
Next step is a Yachtmaster Offshore, then Yachtmaster Ocean.
Old 28-10-2016, 19:35   #33

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

Wonder if Navy time counts?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 19:38   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post

I think navy time counts 60%. Don't know how you get it signed off after th fact.
Old 28-10-2016, 20:13   #35

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
RYA Coastal is out 1,000nm. Good license.
Next step is a Yachtmaster Offshore, then Yachtmaster Ocean.
Next question: is the YRA xxx really a license? What does it license one to do? Or is it similar (if superior to) the various ASA certifications, which have little official "rights and privileges"?

A USCG xxx ton license allows you to operate various vessels commercially under USA jurisdiction. Does a YRA Yachtmaster, etc, do the same? I thought not, but have no expertise.

Jim
Old 28-10-2016, 20:31   #36

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

RYA offshore is recognized in aussie as for use commercially on a yacht (at least until 2018 or so).

It is certainly a very high quality ticket, or at least it used to be back in the mid 2000's when I was teaching it. Much harder Navigation exams and Colregs than the Aussie M24 and M35 tickets. And a robust practical assesment. I hope it hasn't been watered down too much over the years.

https://www.amsa.gov.au/about-amsa/c...tions/EX18.pdf
Old 28-10-2016, 20:34   #37

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Thanks for that, Ben. Interesting that they distinguish between service on a yacht and other commercial vessels.

Jim
Old 28-10-2016, 20:43   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMarc View Post
Once you pass the test, you have one year to complete the needed sea time and submit the application for the License.

Good Luck in your endeavor,
Marc
^^^^ What he said
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 20:48   #39

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Thats true jim, a lot of politics around this one, lots of superyachts running about with RYA qualified crew, and Sydney Hobart race boats taking high paying 'crew' illegally down to hobart on non certified vessels..

To me its fair enough, now RYA are envolved. Its a solid qualification, and a proper RYA yachtmaster is likely at least as fit to comand a yacht than someone with a more powerboat orientated Cox, M24 and M35 tickets. Especially since they have now pulled the sail endorsements off those tickets.
Old 29-10-2016, 04:41   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have no intention of a commercial merchant marine career after I retire from teaching, but I find the RYA Yachtmaster license training to be far more applicable to my cruising than a USCG license (although I may sit for a Master ticket test someday).

In the USA, these RYA levels look like the various certifications of training from US schools (e.g. ASA).

I have not researched this to a fine point, but from meeting many other RYA students I have heard:
The RYA Day Skipper serves as a license to operate vessels in the Euro Zone as it exceeds the ICCS license required there. I think other non-US countries also accept it this way. Most students are looking for this ticket.

The upper level Yachtmasters are suitable to be paid crew or captains in non-US.

The USCG Mechant Marine licenses are recognized everywhere.
Old 29-10-2016, 10:54   #41

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Curious once again: why a requirement for offshore mileage for a coastal cert?

Jim
Jim,

Maybe the off shore went not in the harbor? It seems there can be different definitions of off shore.

Roger
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 11:15   #42

The USCG Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels (OUPV/Captain's) License allows the holder to carry up to six paying passengers on uninspected vessels up to 99 gross tons (about 75-90 feet long). These are usually smaller vessels that normally engage in charter fishing, SCUBA diving, or tour cruises. As such, these vessels are limited to six paying passengers plus crew-hence the term "Six-Pack." The OUPV License is issued in three forms: OUPV Inland License:The OUPV Inland license is restricted to operation shoreward of the boundary line, excluding the Great Lakes. This license is valid on uninspected vessels to 99 gross tons.

* This license requires at least 360 days of experience in the operation of vessels, with 90 of the 360 days occurring in the last three years. Experience gained prior to 15 years of age may not be counted.

* The OUPV Inland License can be upgraded to an OUPV Near Coastal License once 90 days experience seaward of the boundary line has been achieved.

OUPV Great Lakes & Inland: 360 total with at least 90 days service on the Great Lakes.

OUPV Near Coastal: This license is valid on vessels up to 100 gross tons and out to 100 nautical miles.

* The OUPV Near Coastal License also requires at least 360 days of documented experience in the operation of vessels, 90 of which must be gained seaward of the boundary line. Ninety of the 360 days must be in the last three years. Experience gained prior to the age of 15 will not be counted.

Note: Sea Service experience can be counted on your own vessel. A Sea Service Form and proof of ownership are required. Experience on other people's vessels can also be counted. In this instance, to verify experience claimed and vessel details, a completed Sea Service Form with the owner's signature must accompany the application.
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 11:43   #43

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post

Navy time definitely counts. I suggest you get the requirement. As I recall a certain amount of time onboard count regardless of your duty or sitting at the pier..
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 19:19   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
Has anyone documented sea time using an RYA license? I just got my RYA Coastal Skipper which required 1,000 mile offshore voyage and 3 exams.
Its a completely different system. RYA its all about mileage and their definition of coastal offshore is quite different. its intended for use in the UK. and is a fudge of an amateur system being upgraded to be commercial.

I doubt the USCG would be impressed with the mileage log. they will ask for proof of days. TC will accept RYA time under some circumstances USCG is a bit stricter.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote