Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2023, 07:58   #16

Boat: 1985 lm 32
Re: ASA valid in Spain?

its seems that asa should be able to help with this? u cant be the only one that has run into this problem.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 09:25   #17

Yeah you would think so right. I am going to contact my local ASA school and see what they say or offer. The charter company is working with NauticEd to see if they can solve the problem and clarify the requirements and approved certifications for Spain. I haven’t had any luck getting a RYA school in the US and trying to find something on line as my only option right now is through Toronto or SC

Cheers
Mdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 10:06   #18

Boat: Grampian 30

There is not an RYA training school in the US that I am aware of, however if you are in Toronto then Topmast is in Kingston, not too far away. I believe they can even offer Tidal DS as there are sufficient currents at that end of the lake leading into the St. Lawrence to demonstrate boat handling and passage making accounting for set and drift. As already mentioned, Day Skipper cert will automatically qualify you for an ICC. Might be tough to get the on-water portion done before spring though.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...JDXPTlWaiJJBJT

I am also YM Offshore with commercial endorsement but carry my ICC with me when sailing in countries that require it. It's a worthwhile certification to have in your documents imo.
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2023, 19:24   #19

Folks. I wanted to put some closure to our trend and thanks for everyone’s input and help during the process. I guess is not full closure as we still have the confusion with ASA certifications in Spain but at least I found a solution. I was able to get the PCOC card from Canada which is acceptable to charter in Spain. Here is the link. It took me just shy of 4 hrs and $53 to complete the course. Basic boating course focus on safety, rules, and basic navigation review.

https://www.boaterexam.com/canada/

Thanks again and happy sailing ⛵️
Mdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2023, 20:46   #20

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdiaz View Post
Folks. I wanted to put some closure to our trend and thanks for everyone’s input and help during the process. I guess is not full closure as we still have the confusion with ASA certifications in Spain but at least I found a solution. I was able to get the PCOC card from Canada which is acceptable to charter in Spain. Here is the link. It took me just shy of 4 hrs and $53 to complete the course. Basic boating course focus on safety, rules, and basic navigation review.

https://www.boaterexam.com/canada/

Thanks again and happy sailing ⛵️
You are welcome. Enjoy!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 03:09   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: ASA valid in Spain?

Glad you found a solution.. enjoy your charter in Spain..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 06:36   #22

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
Those organizations might benefit from confusing people by claiming their IPC is an ICC, but as the previous poster mentioned, US organizations are not able to issue an ICC; they can only be issued via a government that has signed onto the problem.

For US citizens, the simplest route to an ICC is likely via the RYA. Some organizations like NauticEd might facilitate this process, but it's the RYA doing the examination and issuance.
The US has not signed the relevant UN treaty, and is not likely to, so the US cannot charter an organization to issue the ICC. The UK has signed the treaty, and has chartered the RYA to issue the RYA.

But you don't have to be a UK citizen to get the ICC through RYA, and a school doesn't have to be in the UK to affiliate with the RYA or to offer the certificate.

There are a few RYA schools in the US.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:49   #23

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Here is an option for RYA/ICC in the US:

https://www.yachtingeducation.com/blank-c1ap6

But for their $5000 fee for the 5 day on the water piece is quite spendy. You can fly to Europe and get the same RYA Day Skipper 5 day on the water course for a fraction of that price.
patja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, Spain