Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2019, 12:17   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: ASA vs Offshore Sailing school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17C View Post
I don't own a boat. I took US Sailing Basic Cruising (3 days, 2 nights) and the guy teaching the class (owner of the school/charter business) let me take out a Pearson 36 for a week the day after the class ended.

If the school is worth their salt, they should be willing to let you charter after passing the requisite class.

If they won't, you picked the wrong school.
And many do.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 13:07   #17

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Mmmm, your thinking is not far off, but at the end of a course i ask myself the question, would a let them leave with my boat? If the answer is NO, then i can't give them there certificat.
Also not every one learns the same.
Yes the school should be good and i consider myself a pretty good instructor but i have not seen many student who would qualify to charter a boat after the basic keelboat 101 course.
Also to get into other course you do have to have prerequisites of at least 80 hours of sailing time.

And lastly, i would not get into a plane with a pilot fresh out of a 2 weeks fast track course. No way!. Get some hours under your belt.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 10:45   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagman101 View Post
Mmmm, your thinking is not far off, but at the end of a course i ask myself the question, would a let them leave with my boat? If the answer is NO, then i can't give them there certificat.
Also not every one learns the same.
Yes the school should be good and i consider myself a pretty good instructor but i have not seen many student who would qualify to charter a boat after the basic keelboat 101 course.
Also to get into other course you do have to have prerequisites of at least 80 hours of sailing time.

And lastly, i would not get into a plane with a pilot fresh out of a 2 weeks fast track course. No way!. Get some hours under your belt.
Actually, that's the best time, everything is freshly learned and you just passed your FAA checkride. Your never more likely to be doing everything by the book as you are just after your practical test.

(who does weight and balance calcs for their typical flight loading after their checkride?)
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, offshore, sail, sailing, sailing school, school