Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2019, 10:02   #31

Boat: Other people's boats
Re: ASA vs USS

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchee View Post
I was curious because the "competent crew" from RYA was what crewseekers had on their site. And for my goal of spending few days-weeks on a boat, that seemed like the easiest way to go about it. As mentioned in here, it's prob the only selectable choice of training on the site. So if I can do the ASA 101 to 104 here locally, I think that would be good training I can show on paper as substitute to RYA competent crew. I want the training to learn, not necessarily as a "certificate". Think I'll sign up here in the Bay Area for ASA 101. IF anyone has recommendations let me know!
This puts you in a really good spot for both schools and sailing. The two schools that I hear solid recommendations for are OCSC and Club Nautique, both US Sailing programs. I'm actually a CN member, and am going through their Coastal Passagemaking program (my first CPM trip was just last weekend).
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 15:25   #32

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
This puts you in a really good spot for both schools and sailing. The two schools that I hear solid recommendations for are OCSC and Club Nautique, both US Sailing programs. I'm actually a CN member, and am going through their Coastal Passagemaking program (my first CPM trip was just last weekend).
...and ASA is headquartered in Marina del Rey so there are tons of ASA schools in California.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 20:20   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
...and ASA is headquartered in Marina del Rey so there are tons of ASA schools in California.
Okay now I'm getting lazy to search but can you answer this?

Let's say I do some training spend good time on the sea. I feel comfortable taking the risk of paying for a bareboat charter, is there a rule of thumb for who they rent boats to? Or do they not care because their boats are covered under insurance?

Think that's my somewhat long term goal of getting into this. Renting a charter sailboat at the location I want to explore.

Thanks,
frenchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 20:26   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
Here are a few more thoughts.

First off, Keep a sailing logbook. When you crew have the skipper sign off the entry for the time on their boat (Record name and size/type of boat, area sailed, date and duration etc). Plus any comments the skipper wants to add.

This log will serve you well in getting positions in the future and if you ever decide to go for a USCG license this will document your sea time - which for me and many was the hardest part of getting my Masters License.

Also, in terms of classroom learning, the Power Squadron has some good deals. Seamanship, Piloting, Advanced Piloting, Junior Navigation, Navigation, Weather etc. These classes take you from the very basics to celestial navigation. The chart work in Piloting, Advanced Piloting are great skills to have.

Lastly, debrief yourself after each sail. Look for a greater understanding of what worked, what did not work, what you learned and what you could have learned. Keep in mind that just because this specific skipper did something this way does not mean that it is "correct", smart or even legal. Get a copy of COLREGS and think over which rule governed each boat to boat interaction. As can be seen from the various rules-of-the-road threads there is a widely differing understanding of which rules apply and how they are applied.

Happy sailing.
Great idea with the logbook.
One of the appeals to sailing is the navigation. Fascinates me so I'll look into that.
Who the hell knows if I'll even enjoy this. Just winding up right now. Tons of schools in the SF bay. I'll start looking for the ASA 101.

Cheers
frenchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 02:19   #35

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Great idea with the logbook.
One of the appeals to sailing is the navigation. Fascinates me so I'll look into that.
Who the hell knows if I'll even enjoy this. Just winding up right now. Tons of schools in the SF bay. I'll start looking for the ASA 101.

Cheers
The ASA logbook (where your certification stickers go) has a sailing experience log in the back. This way its all in one physical book.

The ASA 105 (Coastal Navigation) materials are quite good and suitable for self study. They have 2 versions, I strongly prefer the one by Tom Tursi. There are also many other good navigation texts like Dutton's.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 08:39   #36

Quote:
Okay now I'm getting lazy to search but can you answer this?

Let's say I do some training spend good time on the sea. I feel comfortable taking the risk of paying for a bareboat charter, is there a rule of thumb for who they rent boats to? Or do they not care because their boats are covered under insurance?

Think that's my somewhat long term goal of getting into this. Renting a charter sailboat at the location I want to explore.

Thanks,
For chartering, requirements vary by location.

In the Caribbean, charter companies look at your resume. The resume must contains sufficient theory and practical experience and demonstrate competency on a similarly sized boat as you wish to charter.

For chartering in the Med. and Seychelles, a license is required. Greece accepts the day skipper (RYA) and some others that are more certifications than licensing but not the ASA or USS or other certifications. Croatia has a list of accepted licenses companies must follow.

Generally speaking--there is ICC, IPC, or SLC. (there are of course German and French and other country licenses that are accepted). ICC hard for Americans to get b/c Americans don't follow the RYA or IYT scheme (only one school in Florida and a few in Canada). IPC is ASA/USS's response...but some charter companies still want to see a resume b/c there is no assessment associated with such, just training and time at helm can vary from none to some. The NauticEd SLC combines license with credentials (resume) and is approved in all Med/Seychelles for charter.
Imkalaur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa