Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2017, 13:03   #16

Boat: Celebrity, 1961, 20'
Re: Beginner seeks training and cert advice

I would like to hear what Dockhead has to say about this. I'm working my way through the ASA courses, but I would like to be competent to charter in Europe and the Med at some point.
JHooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 15:07   #17
Marine Service Provider

I agree that if you are looking for a more affordable option, check your local area for schools - the DC area has several to choose from. Annapolis has some really great schools. Solomon Sailing is a good one not too far away. We did a racing program on J/105 with J/World right after the Annapolis Boatshow and had a great time. They are not an ASA affiliate - but they do put on a good program!

If you are interested in sailing in the warm water this winter, check out website out - we would love to have you come sailing with us! Feel free to contact me directly (Chris@LTDsailing.com) or go through the website.

I saw some questions about chartering in the Med - I have chartered there a few times and had no problem using my International Proficiency Certificate (IPC) from ASA. The pre-requisite is having earned your Bareboat Cruising (ASA 104) certification. So no problem there if you decide to go the ASA route.
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 16:19   #18

Boat: 1984 Merit 25

Wow! After reading all of this, I have a long way to go from my Kentucky Lake ASA certs to bareboating around the Abacos (my dream) (I'm not getting any younger)
Aaarrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 00:27   #19

Boat: islandpacket

Check out the Maryland school of sailing and seamanship in rockhall Maryland great people and you can stay on the boat.
Good stuff also at the Annapolis sailing school. Just a happy customer.
If your single, check out SOS singles on sailboats in Annapolis. Inexpensive and great training, sail on lots of other people's boats. Great group.
Old 15-12-2017, 05:07   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaarrgh View Post
Wow! After reading all of this, I have a long way to go from my Kentucky Lake ASA certs to bareboating around the Abacos (my dream) (I'm not getting any younger)
No, you probably do not have very far to go at all. Sailing around the Abacos is not particularly difficult. None of the charter companies around there will require any certification -- just a review of your sailing resume. Basic chartering, in an area like the Abacos or the BVI, is really not as difficult as many people seem to think. Go slow, be careful, learn how to set an anchor and pick up a mooring, and you'll be in pretty good shape.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 10:34   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
No, you probably do not have very far to go at all. Sailing around the Abacos is not particularly difficult. None of the charter companies around there will require any certification -- just a review of your sailing resume. Basic chartering, in an area like the Abacos or the BVI, is really not as difficult as many people seem to think. Go slow, be careful, learn how to set an anchor and pick up a mooring, and you'll be in pretty good shape.
...and work on your "eyeball" navigation (reading water depth visually)...not a common skill on most lakes, but very important in venues like the Bahamas.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote