Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2023, 04:54   #16

Boat: Columbia 36
Re: Best Online course for USCG Masters licensing?

They recently changed the requirement for proctored tests. Online exams are now approved. I think that was a mistake and not just because it put me out of a job. I used to occasionally proctor for Mariners School (Mariners Learning System) and was informed last year that they no were longer using live proctors. The way I understand it they have a proctor at their central location watching you through your webcam. I think that would make it easier to cheat, not as good as someone in the room with you.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 05:52   #17

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

As someone who has 100 ton master (sailing endorsement), I strongly, strongly suggest you just do the class in person.

Why?

Jobs! If you are trying to start working running boats, the connections you make in that class will get you 10 jobs. Just like all those people you know in the IT world back then. Like ones you went to college with. It would be silly to sit at home with no network. It will build a Maritime network for you.

Even the instructor can help you land a good job.

There are still a few people from my class that I talk to. And I took this decades ago. One guy was doing insane dive charters. Nitrox . Andrea Doria wreck. Another one was the daughter of the guy that owns Flyer, a charter cat in Newport RI. Had I not been doing my own charters, I could have easily got some time on either of those boats.

Do not underestimate all of those people in your class and everyone they know. Instead of struggling to find work, or good work, you’ll be set up immediately.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 06:11   #18

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Community Colleges?

Friend just attended and obtained his license, all done at their classroom.
Not sure about other cities/states.

https://marinershq.com/directory/school/23/
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 19:03   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaltytar View Post
I worked as a qualified instructor and proctored up to 200 ton near coastal deck licenses for US Captains Training and it was rather straightforward. This was some years ago, I am no longer affiliated.

https://uscaptainstraining.com

You have access to the classroom lecture materials, you complete the syllabus, the instructors are available for questions and they do interact personally with the students to help complete coursework.

Upon completion you go to an approved test facility for US Captains Training (there are many) and the proctor (e.g., someone like me) watches while you take the test. They might be offering online proctoring now, I don't know, it's been a few years.

I self-studied for all of my licenses but am an outlier. I don't get a whole lot more out of a room than I get out of a book. Everyone learns different and yes I recommend schooling (statistically speaking), but what type is entirely up to your style of learning.

I found this school to be competitive on cost and bare bones in materials (this isn't an admonishment, they teach what you need to know for the license) and was a very helpful and friendly family style business operation.

I understand this is the typical model for online schools. You don't just typically go to a USCG facility for exams if going through school for a <500 ton ticket.
I used them for my 100ton masters. I went through the course at my leisure over 6 mos during Covid so I had to do it remotely. I did this just to improve my knowledge and not for employment purposes. The course is excellent. The videos on the site and also on his U tube channel go over all the charting problems and other calculations that you have to do on the exam in detail and are excellent. There are also videos on all other topics as well as good written material to study for the exam.
Fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast