Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2013, 14:32   #1

Blue water sailing school grad questions

I'm interested in joining a crew or expedition and I feel like I need transcripts of my certifications. Is this important to captains looking for crew or is it more of a personality thing?
Old 25-01-2013, 14:33   #2

I really want to work on or near the water. I'm in the process of building a portfolio. Any suggestions?
Old 25-01-2013, 16:28   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Blue water sailing school grad questions

First point is what kind of position you apply for. If something requiring nautical skills then a copy of training might help but when I was hiring crew I was more interested in actual skills and experience rather than any kind of certifications or degrees.

Regarding personalities, yes a compatible personality is critical. Boating frequently involves being isolated with a small group of people for long periods of time with no chance of escape. In that situation a crew with a bad attitude can be a huge problem so anyone choosing a crew member will be looking at that as closely as skill set.

There are positions that are appropriate for someone with limited skills and experience which is where you might have to start while you build your resume. One big, big plus. Be reliable and consistent. There's a lot of turnover in boat crews and if you stay around and establish a reputation for being there when you're needed then you can work your way up the food chain quickly.
Old 25-01-2013, 16:43   #4

Thank you very much for your input. I've hundreds of hours on the sea and have sailed through the roughest waters in the north pacific. I've been stranded on deserted islands and washed overboard after running aground. I've been underwater racing the tide trying to free an anchor. I've even had the tip of the mast kiss a bridge
Old 25-01-2013, 16:44   #5

I would gladly trade everything I've got to do it all again too!
Old 25-01-2013, 17:06   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well you certainly have the experience so that's not going to be an issue (although maybe don't mention the part about hitting the bridge ). From my experience in deliveries and from a friend of mine that used to manage a charter operation in Tortola, reliability is the big one. Even if you have to start out as third assistant head scrubber, be there, show up on time, don't be late for your watch, all that. Having a reliable worker and one that stuck around (boaters seem to sail off into the sunset on a regular basis) seemed to be one of the biggest complaints in the business. After that, it's just patience, hard work, good skills and maybe a little luck. Being in the right place at the right time never hurt.

Of course there's the obvious like being clean and sober, don't punch out the boss/owner/customer and don't run into bridges too often.
Old 25-01-2013, 18:14   #7

Third assistant head scrubber sounds like a fascinating position! I take it my first move should be to a port city then apply locally at the docks for various positions to build repertoire with the locals?

And in my defense, I was not at the helm when we kissed the bridge! I was at the bow screaming stopppppp! Haha
Old 25-01-2013, 18:47   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think one good place to start with a paying job with potential to move from head scrubber to boat driver is with one of the charter operations so go where the charter boats are based.

One certification that will open more potential jobs or at least the lack of this will block you is the captains license, commonly called the 6 pack license (because you are allowed to captain a boat carrying up to 6 passengers). Even better the 100 ton if you can qualify.

Seems like you already have sea miles but there are always people looking for a crew or so to help them on a passage. Seldom pays but usually pays expenses and travel.
Old 25-01-2013, 19:00   #9

I don't have my 100 ton but I'm good on the six pack. Would you recommend Ft. Lauderdale? I took my courses down there but it seems pricey.
Old 25-01-2013, 19:55   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I used to live in Lauderdale and it sure isn't cheap.

I think there are more charters going out of Miami if you're in FL but maybe the most happenings in the charter business would be in the USVI.

But then you didn't ask about working in the charter business. As far a crew on some sort of expedition I have no idea. Maybe someone else on the forum can chime in with an idea.
Old 25-01-2013, 20:21   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Blue water sailing school grad questions

Okay... WTF's a six pack... apart from a firm belly and half a dozen Red Stripe...
What quals do you actually have... we're not clairvoyants on here... you can get work with charter companies like Moorings & Sunsail in mecahnics/maintainance/crew/skipper... there's jobs in marinas/boatyards that can get you closer to what you want... just gotta get out there and find it... your a big boy now... things don't come for free anymore..
Moorings are looking for staff in Greece for the 2013 season...
Oh... and personallity and cleanliness go a very long way...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 25-01-2013, 21:05   #12

Well skipmac you've certainly given me some ideas to progress through and for that I thank you. I'm not against running charters. I had planned on doing that later on in life but at this point I just want back on the water. I'm interested in under sea recovery and salvage. Perhaps a save the sea life expedition. Im up for anything really.

You've been a big help. I'll see you around the forums.
Old 25-01-2013, 21:14   #13

Sorry boatman, I missed your post. I'm not afraid of work. I'm just land locked and its been 10 years since I really got my feet wet. I also wasn't really planning on working my way up any ladders, so this is a new approach and I'm on a beam reach trying to gather enough wind to fill my sails to get me to the promised land. I'll look into the company you mentioned. Perhaps I should study up on some Italian for now? Chow.
Old 26-01-2013, 06:30   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Exclamation Re: Blue water sailing school grad questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue Blues View Post
Well skipmac you've certainly given me some ideas to progress through and for that I thank you. I'm not against running charters. I had planned on doing that later on in life but at this point I just want back on the water. I'm interested in under sea recovery and salvage. Perhaps a save the sea life expedition. Im up for anything really.

You've been a big help. I'll see you around the forums.
I had a couple of thoughts that might be helpful for options other than the charter business. One that I've seen mentioned on the forum a few times are crewing for boats that service off shore oil platforms.

Then for something a little more technical there's Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in MA and The Link Foundation in FL. If you want to get really out there Green Peace and Sea Shepard may need crew but probably pay very little.
Old 26-01-2013, 06:33   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Okay... WTF's a six pack... apart from a firm belly and half a dozen Red Stripe...
6-Pack is the most basic USCG captains license. So called because the holder is limited to operating a boat carrying no more than 6 passengers.
Closed Thread

Tags
blue water sailing