Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2017, 15:26   #1

canadian power/sail squadron courses and "captains licences

so, growing up on Vancouver Island I always heard that for vessels over 50ft a captains licence was required. I have also seen here others commenting on their canadian captains licences. all I can find everywhere I look is power/sail squadron courses for coastal and offshore navigation.

any experienced Canucks here care to chime in with their comments or where to look would be much appreciated
ironvalleyfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 21:02   #2

Re: canadian power/sail squadron courses and "captains licences

The CA Coast Guard will have your info. I assume it is similar to US where you can take a class from an independent "Captains school" for about $1200.00 to prepare for the CG exam. Try Skip at Flagship Maritime in Tacoma WA. He will know the CA system. He is the real deal. Power Squadron classes are good but aimed at recreational boaters. A CG license is a bit more intense.
CascadeThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 21:40   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

There once was a Transport Canada requirement for a Masters License (TC does not call them "captains") for pleasure craft over 20m which they tell me is no longer issued although it still appears on their website but mine is grandfathered. I find it impresses insurance companies when they want to see the hired master's credentials.

Licenses may also be "customized" in some rare cases ( I had one with a amphibious with passengers endorsement).

There are currently no licenses required for any size pleasure craft in Canada.

TC Requirements. Link here for TC requirements.

List of TC Licenses available I also have a few of these.
Old 30-03-2017, 22:37   #4

sigh.. wading through yet another level of the opaque waters of transport Canada beauracracy.

I think I shall pursue some.of the internationally recognized coursed simply for the purpose of satisfying the insurance company and to help get better rates

thanks
ironvalleyfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 23:06   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironvalleyfab View Post
sigh.. wading through yet another level of the opaque waters of transport Canada beauracracy.

I think I shall pursue some.of the internationally recognized coursed simply for the purpose of satisfying the insurance company and to help get better rates

thanks
I know it is complicated but I have a very simple tip for you, so simple it will be easy to think it worthless but it worked for me. Go to the closest transport Canada Marine Safety Office and ask to speak to an inspector ..... make friends with him, buy a coffee or two and if you are lucky he will walk you through it. We became friends so that I was given the option of taking my first exam orally (much easier). If you know the system it is not that hard.

Tags
captain, enc, sail