Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 18:59   #16

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27
Re: Career and School ADVICE

A lot depends on where you want to work.

Oil field boats are a large sector of commercial boating.

Ships, tow boats, and and tugs are another large part of commercial boating.

Pleasure yachts are yet another large segment.

Each has particular needs and rewards, and the vary quite a bit, including career path.

Insurers of the first two favor academy graduates. The USCG is favoring academy graduates over experience plus exam (hawsepipe) officers.

I have almost no experience in recreational boats. I suspect the insurers, favor academy grads there too.

Without formal schooling, you will need years of experience to sit for higher tonnage license exams.

There are several pathways to licenses, some of which cost far less than others, and some of which are faster than others. There are also several other very serious considerations.

I am a retired merchant marine officer, having held a license through 6 issues, which is 30 years. PM me a phone number and I would be glad to call and tell you what I know of the subject from my experience.
Old 04-12-2013, 19:22   #17

Boat: Corbin 39

If you don't want the four year route than I would go with Chapmans. Well actually that's what I did. The Coast Guard seemed to look at it favorably. Passing an exam was a breeze after Chapmans. They have a placement service for both commercial and private jobs. They have good hands on training. They can't place you like a four year school but they will get you on board in an entry level position. Once you get your foot in the door (or on the deck) it's up to you where you go and how far you advance. The Professional Mariner course was very worthwhile for me. People that hire Chapman grads know what their getting. Often it's Chapman grads hiring Chapman grads.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 19:52   #18

I visited the National Maritime Center site, It looks like one of several license mills where you pay your money and get a license.

But holding a license does not prepare you to do the job. To work as a captain on small boats, say under 150 feet, you need to know mechanical repair and a lot of other things, Small boats have limited crews, often with limited abilities. In the end, the captain is responsible to make things work out. You have to know a lot.

One path is to get the highest AB seaman license that you can with the experience you have. Then you can work on a variety of vessels, make good pay, and get the background you will need for an officer's position.

Some companies are always looking for ABs, and you will get hired fairly quickly. But bear in mind that shipping is cyclical, and there are times when jobs are rare. With reduced crews as is now the practice, most ordinary seamen cannot get enough time to get an AB ticket. Having one puts you ahead of the OSs. While you work as an AB, you get sea time that helps qualify to sit for a higher license exam.

It is a complicated system, and difficult to explain in writing, because of the many variables. You can go Union or Nonunion, and that depends on who you work for. Union schools are great and free to members.

Good Luck
Old 04-12-2013, 20:04   #19

There is a school in Morgan City, Louisiana that does license prep. It was set up to train marine personnel by big maritime employers. I got my AB ticket training there. It was called Young Memorial at that time, which was decades ago. But they are still in operation and have a site.

LTC, Young Memorial Marine Department
Old 04-12-2013, 20:11   #20
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

Workboat Academy. They have a 2 year work and study program that leads to a 500/1600 ton mate ticket . Best bang for the buck if you are not looking for unlimited tonnage in my opinion. Look into Workboat's supply boat program in New Orleans. Those supply boat guys have a ton of experience with close quarters maneuvering in 200-300 foot OSVs. Skills that could easily transfer over to the mega yacht sector. The academy route is not a bad option either. Lot of time and headache though.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:37   #21

So I should start with getting my highest able seaman license? Do you know what license I need to prep up for to own my own small boat?
HeatherW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:44   #22

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherW View Post
So I should start with getting my highest able seaman license? Do you know what license I need to prep up for to own my own small boat?
If you just want to use your own boat for your own pleasure there is no need for any licensing. But you can use your time on your boat towards a license.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 14:20   #23

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
I just got out of the Navy as a Quartermaster and I'm looking to pursue that career as a civilian. My first take was to obtain a TWIC card which I did and then finding the right school. It's been very hard because there are so many but so different. I want to get my captain license to be able to work on a merchant, yacht, cruise, or pretty much any boat. 2nd mate/1600 ton master is what Maritime Professional Training told me I needed. I live in Louisiana and I'm willing to move pretty much anywhere. MPT is located in Florida but after reading some reviews online I don't know if that schools is legit. Also, I've been checking out Chapman school. I have the post 9/11 GI bill and my Smart transcripts, sea time, proof of certifications and history of assignment. Also, I wanted to look for a school if any, that deals with working with Rules of the Road or something to do with going out into the water and correcting navigational markers such as buoys and depth of water etc. Loving the water so much that when I was on my ship I would have sailed until the waters went dry. Please I need the right direction and help. Thanks

Annapolis School of Seamanship has courses like that.

One of the squids in the 100 Ton course when I took it was a submarine sonarman, just separating at the time...

-Chris
Old 08-01-2014, 14:34   #24

I guess what I'm trying to get at is OUPV a higher license than AB
Old 08-01-2014, 15:08   #25

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Heather

Call "Rags" at the Maritime Institute in San Diego. He is the director and can help you. Insists if you can on talking with him only and bypass the front desk. He has contracts with the Navy in San Diego and does allot of training with them. He may have a route for you or can lead you in the right direction. I would stick to Maryland, Ft Lauderdale, San Diego and Seattle ports for training here in the US. You are unclear as to which way you want to head. Mega Yacht career, sailing career, merchant marine?
Sailing Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 15:32   #26

can you explain all three?
Old 08-01-2014, 15:44   #27

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Quote:
can you explain all three?
Did you call Maritime institute as was suggested?
Old 09-01-2014, 03:59   #28

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
I guess what I'm trying to get at is OUPV a higher license than AB

Not exactly. OUPV will let you legally captain an uninspected charter boat with up to 6 passengers, for money... but typically the kind of boat, size, and the skills and knowledge you'd need for that kind of charter can be quite different from AB skills on a 1600 Ton+ ship.

BTW, the Annapolis school usually recommends doing the 100 Ton (vs. OUPV) if you have the sea service, since there's only about 10 additional questions on the exam...

-Chris
Old 09-01-2014, 04:40   #29

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Welcome and good luck. I will second Sea School. Getting the required sea time will be the difficult part.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
school