Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2014, 10:23   #1

Boat: Nimble Artic 26
Carribean ASA Training suggestions

There's a group of us who would like to take one of those ASA courses that covers all or most of the ASA series while sailing the Caribbean in January.

Anyone who has done this please let us know your experiences, and if any one knows which schools are reputable and worth the price

Also the RYA schools maybe helpful.

Thanks
Old 14-07-2014, 18:07   #2

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Carribean ASA Training suggestions

While I do not have a direct answer to your question, I have another question for you... why not consider US Sailing classes? I have found them far superior to the ASA classes. You can take them through the Moorings... and they have "family" classes while you "bareboat".

Sailing certification, sailing certificates, sailing lessons | Offshore Sailing School
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 19:14   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Actually, US Sailing courses and ASA are pretty much the same....US sailing courses were originally copied from ASA, way back when. The main differences would be on how a particular school handles the instruction. There are several good ones that would offer the ASA courses that you need in the BVI, which would include water sailing">Blue Water Sailing School and Tortola Sailing School, and also Affordable Sailing, among others. To be totally transparent, I operate a Leopard 45 catamaran in the BVI and have taught for all three schools, either on my boat or one of theirs, and they all do a good job.

But there are some things for you to consider. A well done course is pretty intensive and it is absolutely imperative for all to have done the reading in advance. ASA 101 is Basic Keelboat... be suspicious if the school suggests you do this on a cat, which is not a basic keelboat!

Depending upon how many courses you want to take, there may not be much time for other things, which begs the question of whether the entire group are planning on doing this (maybe some not for certification), or whether this is being planned as a part time add-on to a charter cruise? Because, if it's the latter, there are going to be some differing priorities and resulting conflicts and unhappiness. Some people try to do the entire "bareboat" syllabus (101, 103, 104) in a week, but that is really pushing it, if you want quality instruction that will "stick".

Here's my suggestion: 1) discuss this entire thing with the group, and get commitment from everyone. 2) get the group to take 101 at home, before the cruise. 3) take 103 and 104 in the BVI. This is totally doable and should be quite enjoyable. Particularly if you could add a day, you might even be able to squeeze in 114, which is Catamaran Cruising and basically 104 done on a cat. 104 and 114 can be done concurrently.

Finally, do not let yourself be talked into starting and returning to St. Thomas. This seems like an attractive option, because the airfares are usually quite a bit less, but coming and going from St. Thomas to the places you want to visit in the BVI just takes way too long, all of which will be subtracted from the time you need for the courses, etc. And January should have you in the Virgin Islands at the height of the "Christmas Winds", otherwise known as the reinforced trades, which make the upwind trek to the BVI just that much more unpleasant and time-consuming. If you fly into the USVI, plan on taking a ferry to Tortola, and start your cruise there. Don't forget this!

If you fly into Tortola, logistically the best though not the cheapest option, try Cape Air or Seaborne from San Juan, Puerto Rico, to which many airlines fly. A number of them "code share" with Cape and Seaborne, so you can check your baggage all the way through.

Good luck with this.....let me know if I can help.

Cheers,
Tim
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 13:10   #4

Quote:
Finally, do not let yourself be talked into starting and returning to St. Thomas. This seems like an attractive option, because the airfares are usually quite a bit less, but coming and going from St. Thomas to the places you want to visit in the BVI just takes way too long, all of which will be subtracted from the time you need for the courses
Well its been a while, but I Sailed from Tortola to St Thomas, in about 3 hours or less on a Ericson 32. So I don't really understand this statement. I do think we'd fly to St Thomas and take the ferry to Tortola or wherever we decide to go.

We are also considering starting in St Martin or Antigua.

Secondly, we ain't going unless there's enough us to make it cost effective, by getting a group rate and reducing the per person rate for the boat.

thirdly, there some folks who are planning to devote a month to this endeavor, so maybe that'll be enough time to squeeze it all in.
Old 28-08-2014, 22:25   #5

Boat: Many

I'd rate ASA superior to US Sailing. US Sailing frequently states they are better. I've been through instructor certification programs in each and the US Sailing instructor certification clinics were laughably inferior to ASA without any real standard for the Instructor Trainers, biased, and have no grievance procedure. RYA is the best of these. They have continued to advance while the other two have remained basically stagnant. I hold an RYA Yachtmaster Ocean as well.

In every case the single most important choice you will make is not the organization but the instructor you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Night_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 12:39   #6
Marine Service Provider

Please read our latest reviews here Tortola Sailing School Reviews - Tortola, British Virgin Islands Attractions - TripAdvisor
TS2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:46   #7

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I just posted a long answer in this group under the heading of fast track that might help.
Other than that LTD sailing out of Grenada is ASA
David
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
I just posted a long answer in this group under the heading of fast track that might help.
Other than that LTD sailing out of Grenada is ASA
David
is there a link, search didn't find it
Old 09-10-2014, 10:28   #9

no link just another entry in this forum .I just went to the forum page and it was there in the training licensing section with the heading fast track 2or 3 from the top
David
Old 09-10-2014, 15:13   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I used to run an ASA school in Belize. We ran a lot of "instructional charters", basically a private charter incorporating sailing instruction. Its not the least cost option, but a great way to learn and enjoy sailing the Carib at the same time. This is my prefered teaching format, versus group classes, because it is much more relaxed and less schedule driven than a group class.

The school is now run by my good friends at Belize Sailing Vacations. They continue to offer instructional charters and do a first class job. Only ASA school in the region (NW Carib).

You can incorporate any combination of ASA training into your charter from 101 (Basic Keel Boat) to 106 (Advanced Coastal).

http://belizesailingvacations.com/
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 03:49   #11
Marine Service Provider

We would love to help you organize your Caribbean sailing course. Feel free to private message me for more information on LTD Sailing in Grenada.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 05:36   #12

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Some people try to do the entire "bareboat" syllabus (101, 103, 104) in a week, but that is really pushing it, if you want quality instruction that will "stick".

Here's my suggestion: 1) discuss this entire thing with the group, and get commitment from everyone. 2) get the group to take 101 at home, before the cruise. 3) take 103 and 104 in the BVI. This is totally doable and should be quite enjoyable. Particularly if you could add a day, you might even be able to squeeze in 114, which is Catamaran Cruising and basically 104 done on a cat. 104 and 114 can be done concurrently.

Cheers,
Tim
+1...what he said.

The ASA 101/103 textbook is 200 pages of information. The 104 is another 100 pages. Depending on how much previous experience you have that's a lot of information to process. Can you "learn" enough in a week to get the 80% required to pass the exams? Probably. How much you will retain and "master" in such a short period could be a different story.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 06:21   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
+1...what he said.

The ASA 101/103 textbook is 200 pages of information. The 104 is another 100 pages. Depending on how much previous experience you have that's a lot of information to process. Can you "learn" enough in a week to get the 80% required to pass the exams? Probably. How much you will retain and "master" in such a short period could be a different story.
Oh, and by the way, I actually do run ASA 103, 104, 114 (and, for that matter, 105 and 106) on my cat in the BVI.

Cheers,
Tim
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 05:15   #14

Chris at LTD sailing in Grenada is a great guy with lots of experience
Old 26-10-2014, 14:30   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
Well its been a while, but I Sailed from Tortola to St Thomas, in about 3 hours or less on a Ericson 32. So I don't really understand this statement. I do think we'd fly to St Thomas and take the ferry to Tortola or wherever we decide to go......
Yes - that's the easy (downwind) bit! Getting from St Thom to Tortola can be a whole different ball-game...

If you decide on bvi - I'd recommend Steve at Tortola Sailing School. He can organise a flexible programme for you, I'm sure. If you go to Antigua, check out "On Deck" who are another good bunch of people. Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, rib