Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2020, 10:15   #1

Boat: Voyage 480
Send a message via Skype™ to jerrypeters
Certification/Licensing required for the Med

I am an experienced sailor looking to charter a boat in Croatia (or possibly another Med location). I have family located around the world and we'd like to assemble in a central place for a family adventure.

I have just heard that some/all countries require licensing to sail in their counties. It is required either to clear in on your own boat or to charter. If so, that would be a problem for us.

Quick background - I have been sailing for 40+ years on many of the waters of the world (including the Med). I have well over 50,000 nautical miles under my keel including a circumnavigation.

I earned a USCG 100 ton captain's license with sailing and towing endorsements because I wanted the learning experience. Because I actually never needed it, I allowed it to expire.

I have owned and sailed several boats throughout the years including mono and multihull vessels. I currently own a 41 foot cruising catamaran which I keep and cruise in the Caribbean. I have owned 3 such catamarans over the last 20 years including the one I sailed around the world.

So, now I may need an ICC (International Competency Certification) to sail in the Med. I understand the desire, by the government, to ensure some level of seamanship. However, an ICC is very difficult to obtain in the US and, especially so, simply in order to qualify for a one week vacation.

Does anyone know a) Is the above true? b) Is there anyway around it? c) Is there any "easy" way of obtaining an ICC from the US in advance of a charter trip?

Thanks all.
jerrypeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 23:08   #2

Re: Certification/Licensing required for the Med

You hold a commercial certificate.
Even though it’s past it’s sell by date.
Most places will still regard it as proof of competence.
Croatia has a list of acceptable certificates in Luie of ICC.
US 100 probably on the list.

Contact a charter company directly and ask.
Uricanejack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 23:15   #3

Boat: Hanse 430e

You should probably ask the charter company. They would certainly know better than a bunch of internet know it alls.

As far as obtaining an ICC, you will need to ask to folks who issue them.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 07:27   #4

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Look for an IYT World school. They issue it. You could probably challenge the exams without having to do the courses.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
certification