Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2020, 22:48   #46

Re: Certifications for a skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Another erroneous claim from you.

See

Boating Laws and boating license requirements by state

Select a state from the drop down list to see the mandatory requirements to operate a boat in each state.
lol and you’re also sposed to license your dog and not remove your mattress tags, file that under stuff no one cares about lol

Had those qualifications as a kid, but no one cares, never been asked, never asked for proof minus I think by one insurance company, been victim to a BS boarding by the USCG, doing their random nonsense, they didn’t even ask for it, hopped on and hopped off, again the level of silliness in gov overreach has gotten to a point of near stand up comedy
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 22:50   #47

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
one of the many annoying things about boating in Oz is that rules change from state to state

for instance, we do not need any licence to operate our cat or our tender in nsw, but when we go to queensland we do. however you cannot get a queensland licence unless you have a queensland address...

easiest answer is to just ignore it and hope fr the best !

cheers,

Surely the best way would be to get a boating licence in your home state then you can use this anywhere in Aus.
In Vic this is good for 3 months or you can convert to a Vic licence pretty simply.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 00:48   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
Surely the best way would be to get a boating licence in your home state then you can use this anywhere in Aus.
In Vic this is good for 3 months or you can convert to a Vic licence pretty simply.

Exactly. Not the "easiest way", but it is the correct way and will save you from a fine when you get checked.

But don't ask me what NT sailors are supposed to do when they visit Qld
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 05:19   #49

Boat: Farr 43`

Quote:
Exactly. Not the "easiest way", but it is the correct way and will save you from a fine when you get checked.

But don't ask me what NT sailors are supposed to do when they visit Qld
Australian states recognise the license conditions of other states.
If your suspended in NSW you are suspended in QLD.
A QLD "P" platter can drive at 110kph in NSW yet a NSW "P" platter is speed restricted in NSW.

A NSW learner on a motorcycle can ride unaccompanied in NSW.
It is permissible to cross the border into other states

I can operate my NSW registered vessel in QLD under the conditions of my NSW licence i.e. no licence required.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 06:59   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
I can operate my NSW registered vessel in QLD under the conditions of my NSW licence i.e. no licence required.

Not so:
https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/boating/recreational

You must have a marine licence to operate a boat that has an engine power greater than 4.5kW.
Interstate marine licences
You can use a valid recreational marine licence issued by another Australian state or territory in Queensland if all of the following apply:
  • you are at least 16 years old
  • your marine licence is current
  • you operate within the conditions on your interstate marine licence.
Old 22-10-2020, 09:40   #51

Boat: Farr 43`

Quote:
Not so:
https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/boating/recreational

You must have a marine licence to operate a boat that has an engine power greater than 4.5kW.
Interstate marine licences
You can use a valid recreational marine licence issued by another Australian state or territory in Queensland if all of the following apply:
  • you are at least 16 years old
  • your marine licence is current
  • you operate within the conditions on your interstate marine licence.

A licence is an authorisation to perform an action.

NSW currently licenses the operation of vessels of a certain size/power/speed without the issuance of a certificate and collection of a fee.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 09:53   #52

Boat: Outremer 50S

And there I was, cruising Queensland a couple of years ago, and completely ignorant of the law:

Quote:
Overseas marine licences for visitors
When you visit Queensland from another country, you may be able to use your overseas marine licence if it is a current recognised overseas licence (PDF, 130KB).

If your recognised overseas marine licence is not in English, you will need a translation from an accredited National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters translator and must keep this with your licence.

If your overseas marine licence is not recognised, you will need to contact an approved BoatSafe training provider to assess recognition of prior learning and then apply for your marine licence.
I sure hope that doesn't become the norm, because their list of accepted foreign licences doesn't include my California boater card. I can imagine as a cruiser it will become hard to keep up if we have to get licences in every jurisdiction (not just country, but state/county/borough) to operate our boats.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 14:22   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
A licence is an authorisation to perform an action.

NSW currently licenses the operation of vessels of a certain size/power/speed without the issuance of a certificate and collection of a fee.
That's like saying that NSW has licensed you to breath.

NSW does not require a licence for "operation of vessels of a certain size/power/speed".

What part of licence issued do you not understand.
If there is no certificate and no fee, there is no "issued licence".
Old 02-11-2020, 11:13   #54

Boat: PERRY 43 PASSAGEMAKER
Red face Re: Certifications for a skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
You are probably watching dingy sailing courses. Cruising courses are different matter.

Almost all of my teaching is done on 40 foot (or bigger) sailboats. The basic level courses deal with how to sail, anchor and dock - and conduct a MOB under sail and under power. The next level courses focus on living aboard boats, boat systems, navigation and more serious sail trim including gennakers. Beyond that we expect student to demonstrate the ability to skipper and crew on extended voyages including over night passages. Lastly we do an ocean passage, including some celestial navigation. Colregs are taught throughout all courses That is a very cursory description; our syllabus is much more extensive.
Level 2 of your course is excellent for the dreamers (and I am not being derogatory) that want to buy a large boat and sail more than 5nm off the coast. Problem is you won't convince the powers that be that it should be obligatory.
Once upon a time, the Marine Rescue organisation put it to the Maritime Authority that there should be what they called a Safe Boating Course for any one that owns a boat. They proposed a course of 2 levels Level one for people who sail around enclosed waters and harbours, level 2 for people that go out to sea.
The Maritime Authority put it to the Minister who wanted community consultation, some of the "community" involved the BIA (Boating Industry Association) which included the Yacht Brokers association and Insurance Association. After numerous meeting we ended up a boat licence for vessels
capable of obtaining 10 knots under propulsion, a grossly inadequate watered down version of what was initially proposed.

The BIA argued "some of our members have had boats for years without any problems, we don't want to put them through expensive courses"

The Yacht brokers argued that it would increase the cost of buying a boat.

The Insurance argued that it would drive up insurance premiums.

The main problem was that any accidents that occur on recreational boats are not recorded, making it difficult to gather convincing stats. The Marine rescue could provide numbers of people that had contacted them and that was only for NSW this is a National problem. AMSA were also present at the meetings however they chose to sit on the fence.

There is quite a bit more, however I have decided to leave it there.
Popeye46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
certification, skipper