Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2022, 08:07   #1

Boat: none yet, hopefully soon!
Certs as delivery crew?

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about taking my love for sailing more seriously and would like to fast track on gaining experience on deliveries as crew before possibly doing a circumnavigation.

I was wondering how does one get involved as delivery crew for boats like Lagoons from the factory, charter companies like Moorings, or even manufacturers like Gunboat? Are certs typically required? If so, what kind of certs (RYA offshore/ocean)?

I will also be in Florida for work in a couple of weeks and remember that there are certifying/licensing/training schools there. Would like to take advantage of that and take any essential certifying courses!

Thanks!
unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 13:07   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Certs as delivery crew?

To skipper you will need things like a commercially endorsed RYA Yachtmaster

Deliveries for factory boats are often handled by Companies like Reliance , some factories like Amel have a small set of handpicked teams, hard to break in

Best is to build relationship a with existing delivery skippers, crew for them , usually this is loss making

Then you move up the tree.

Deliveries are really great ways to learn extended cruising skills , you sail off season , more heavy weather likely , sailing is to a schedule so it’s performance orientated.

Breaking into factory deliveries isn’t easy. It’s a closed market, jealousy guarded

I did it for years graduating to skipper.

Crew don’t need specific training if coming recommended by the delivery skipper. Usually his crew choice is accepted.
Old 02-05-2022, 13:23   #3

Re: Certs as delivery crew?

You're probably not going to cut your teeth working for a major company like Lagoon, or even a marine services company who's major customer is Lagoon.

I'd say your best bet is to find a local delivery captain and volunteer to work for free to build sea time and a CV. At best you'll find a gig where you work for food and possibly a one-way ticket home.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 14:51   #4

I both crew and work for a select few delivery
captains.
Years ago I earned Coastal Skipper/Tidal & ICC
with the RYA..
Once this was accomplished the rate of positive
responses to my inquiries went up dramatically.
I would build miles as Crew and not even try for
deliveries until you have some decent passages
under your belt.
Delivery captains want you to be able to stand a
solo night watch and are usually light on crew
and will motor if needed to keep a date.
Try, Ocean Crew Link.com
a paid site ( 5 bucks a month) but well worth it.
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 16:16   #5

Boat: Admiral Executive 38’ Catamaran

I would look into sailopo.com Offshore Sailing Opportunities. It is run by Hank Schmitt a delivery captain. It is basically a clearing house for Captains looking for crew. I did a dozen or so passages with them, finding a good delivery captain who became a friend. You fill out a resume and create an account. You are then included in a monthly mailing of opportunities. When I went I needed to get to the boat and home from the delivered port. I needed to pay for food on land but everything on the boat was free. I ended up with over 8000 miles up and down the East Coast and all the way to St Vincent on a brand new Lagoon which we delivered to Moorings.
Act Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 11:53   #6
Marine Service Provider

The builders and charter companies the poster named usually have their own professional shippers and crew for deliveries of new boats. I doubt if any hire unknown and inexperienced wanna-be's off the docks, beaches and bars.

These professional mariners are usually homeported in the countries where their boats are built, France, Italy, South Africa, etc. Probably difficult for the poster to gain legal residence and employment privileges in those countries.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 12:15   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The French builders have used delivery agencies , some being U.K. based. In this case this sidesteps the issue of nationals being employed locally. Some companies have minimal deliveries and have effectively “ in house “ crews.

Tags
crew, delivery