Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2009, 09:23   #16

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I (and others) would recommend that couples who attend sailing schools be split up (different boats, or different times), so each person gains the self-confidence that comes with dealing with the various situations by themselves instead of deferring to the dominant partner.
That presupposes that there is a dominate member of the couple. Neither my husband nor I defer to the other. In our case it worked to our advantage to take the course together. Although I have to admit that my husband got in trouble a couple of times paying more attention to what I was doing that to what he was to be doing. We now have the same skill level but different approaches, which was to be expected. During the course the duties were exchanged equally but I am better at getting into the groove sailing where he likes to rely on the auto pilot.

I think that if the husband and wife or partner couple are equally matched then taking the course together is a good idea. Obviously, if not, I would recommend that the woman take an all female course. I find that if a woman is likely to defer to her husband she is likely to defer to men in general and an all female course is more helpful.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 17:43   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I (and others) would recommend that couples who attend sailing schools be split up (different boats, or different times), so each person gains the self-confidence that comes with dealing with the various situations by themselves instead of deferring to the dominant partner.
[quote=Tom and Maje;318522][quote=GordMay;318153]At which location did you take your Fast Track to Cruising course?

Are there differing prices for the same course, at differing locations?

Gord,
We lucked out on the price of the course….. After talking to the instructors at Tortola we found out that the normal class is with 4 people. It was only Maje and I that week, so we got more helm and sail handling time. Basically we got the private lessons for the regular price.

Don
In my opinion it all depends on the couple and the experience that they bring to the class. It also depends on the experience of the instructor. If the plan is sail together as a couple, I feel they need to learn work the boat together. The instructor’s role (opinion here) becomes more of a coach/mentor as the couple learns to work together. While both people need to know how to work the entire boat primary roles will begin to work out as the routine comes together with the instructor giving advice.
Tom
Old 03-09-2009, 18:48   #18

Regardless of where you take the class, LEARN the material before you go. It will maximize your hands on instruction time, it will make the classes much easier to understand, and sailing will be a lot more fun.

Good luck
Tom and Marilyn
ashoreschool.com
Ashoreschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:16   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashoreschool View Post
Regardless of where you take the class, LEARN the material before you go. It will maximize your hands on instruction time, it will make the classes much easier to understand, and sailing will be a lot more fun.

Good luck
Tom and Marilyn
ashoreschool.com
Tom and Marilyn,

You are absolutely correct. Even if one does not understand everything in the books, it will become understandable once in the course.

Maje
Old 05-09-2009, 06:49   #20

Quick tip: Steve Colgate's "Fast Track to Cruising: How to Go from Novice to Cruise-Ready in Seven Days" is pretty good reading for the beginner, however it is an expansion of his original "Colgate's Basic Sailing" not an continuation. I didn't realize this when I ordered them. I thought they were similar to ASA/US sailings series books.
Old 16-12-2009, 00:08   #21

Boat: Baba 35
My Girlfriend and I will be embarking on our Fast Track to Cruising course very soon. The Colgate school has been nothing but professional and friendly so far and I anticipate the same experience with the Instructors as well.

I agree wholeheartedly with the premise of separating a couple during the initial course. My contact at the School actually recommended that from the get go. They were very adamant with the idea that everyone should be confident with being able to approach all elements of sailing individually without the aid or criticism of their spouse.

I opted for the US Sailing Certification program along with the course and my Girlfriend is not. She is not very familiar with sailing and I thought it would be too much to absorb, she agreed.

If anyone who has completed the course would like to provide some tips or hints of what to expect, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

-P
Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 04:25   #22
elf

Boat: Catalina 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient View Post
I opted for the US Sailing Certification program along with the course and my Girlfriend is not. She is not very familiar with sailing and I thought it would be too much to absorb, she agreed.
I disagree with her not going for certification if she is motivated, interested, and willing to study! Neither my DH nor I had any sailing experience, and we both passed the Offshore Sailing School's Basic Keelboat class with flying colors! We actually both got 100% on the test - the instructor was amazed. We were not separated, but there were two other students on our boat, and everyone had to change roles frequently, so I don't think it was a detriment being onboard together. We studied ahead of time and in the evenings together.

We later did the ASA 101, 103, 104, 114, and 105 classes together and also passed each one together.

There's no reason she can't go for it too -- just think of the confidence getting certified would give her!

Good luck and enjoy the class. We weren't as pleased with the ASA classes we took nor the instructor and wished we'd stuck with Offshore for all our classes. They are a class outfit.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 05:01   #23

I also dissagree with her decision not to go for the certificates. If she reads the books prior to the course it will all make sense to her during the course.

Maje
Old 16-12-2009, 05:49   #24

Boat: s/v Zero To Cruising. PDQ 32 Altair Classic Catamaran
Hi guys

My wife and I completed the Fast Track course over last Christmas' holidays. It was an awesome experience and we highly recommend it. Since that time we have sold our house, bought a boat, sold our business, sold all our crap and will be taking off cruising in 2010. So be careful... it could be a life-changing experience!

I just wanted to further comment on what you said about separating couples. As with many things I think that really depends on the people involved. My wife and I, along with only 1 other guy (and the instructor), were together on the liveaboard portion. We felt, and still feel, that because our future plans have us cruising together, it is important for us to both be competent, but also to know how to work together and to trust one another. I think we were able to accomplish both of those objectives by doing the course together.

Have a blast on the course!

Mike

PS: It REALLY helps to study the books before hand if you have no sailing experience. We had none and I think we might have been lost had we not really gone through those books.
Old 16-12-2009, 05:52   #25

Boat: s/v Zero To Cruising. PDQ 32 Altair Classic Catamaran
Also, if you check our Blog (link below) on the dates beginning December 25, 2008, you can see some of our comments and pics from the course.

Mike
Old 16-12-2009, 17:07   #26
elf

Boat: Catalina 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandrebecca View Post
PS: It REALLY helps to study the books before hand if you have no sailing experience. We had none and I think we might have been lost had we not really gone through those books.
Agree 100%! We studied like crazy ahead of time, and it paid off in spades.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 17:54   #27

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
As an instructor, nothing inspires ME more than someone who comes to class having read the books we send them when they registered, and enthusiastic about the process, and eager to learn. Like most things in life, we get out of an experience, what we are willing to invest in it.

The less time I have to spend going over all the basics that are covered in the book.
The more time we get to spend on the water, actually sailing, and learning all the nuances.

It's surprising how many folks show up, having never opened the book. So, we need to spend time learning..where the bow and stern are...etc.

Couples that normally work well together (collaborate) will work well together on the boat.

I have had to politely whisper into a few husband's ears, that there's only one instructor onboard...

IMO...I think everyone learns differently and the instructor has to figure out which style of teaching fits each student.

Maje's comment about " the groove of sailing" is interestingly consistent with my experience. Not to over-generalize but initially ..I find men can be distracted by all the mechanics....whereas, women can tune in on the " feel" of the helm..or the "groove" of sailing better. The goal, at the end of the day is to get everone on the same page. Some folks just take different paths.
Old 16-12-2009, 17:57   #28
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Mrs. and I took the ASA 101, 103,104, and 114 last week in the BVI and USVI. We don't feel we need the Coastal Navigation, as we have been running our own powerboats for several years and my background includes a lot of navigation. We took the course together, no other students, on a 42 ft. catamaran. We wanted to each learn to run the boat. We have different strengths, of course, and realize that we will be working as a team, but as I told the instructor when he asked us what we wanted to get out of the course..I wanted for her to be able to run the boat if I was totally incapacitated, and vice versa. So we worked hardest on the areas where we each were weakest. She spent a lot of time learning to run the boat under power. I spent a lot of time watching the sails not luff and at the helm. I am better under power, she is quicker to pick up the sailing part. Figures...she's software, and I am hardware.

It works.

We just got back Saturday.
Old 28-12-2009, 09:35   #29

Every couple's situation is different

Although we personally suggest learning together, we are know every relationship and situation is different. There is a lot to learn before you get to school, and often is where the dynamics of couple's learning pays off. Your end goal is an important consideration. If most of your sailing will be in local waters and a bit of coastal cruising, your plan probably works as well as any. Good luck and have fun.
Old 31-12-2009, 05:26   #30

Canibul,
We have commented to the coastal nav an dpassagemaking parts next Mar in Ft Meyers. While I have a lot of military experence reading maps and charts I am doing it to refresh my skills.
We're sitting in ST Thomas right now and will be over to Road Town on Saturday. for a charter on a 40ft. Which instructor did you have an I say hello for you.

Tom

Tags
sailing school