Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 08:04   #1

Boat: 2018 Jeanneau 419
Commercial License

Any of you able to take less than 6 paid passengers on your sailboat for short cruises?
I started a search with the ISCG but they kept sending me from one link to the other and in the end I was completely lost.
All I got from was that I need the OUPV…
But how / where do I take the test?
How / what do I study?….

Any info appreciated!!

Thx
Xavierp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:12   #2

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B
Re: Commercial License

Google OUPV (six pack) license and you will get many options. You can self study, validate you requirements, then test through a testing center or you can pay a company that will hold classes, provide study material, and provide testing and a package. The study can be done online or in person depending on the class structure you want.

Good luck
Foster
flee27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:24   #3

Boat: Columbia 36

I taught the OUPV/Master courses for 20 years. It's about $1000 but nearly everyone passes. You can go to a USCG REC center and take the exams yourself, but very few people pass on their first try. Application fee to the CG was $150 last time I checked, and you need to add a physical, drug test, and First Aid/CPR class. Hardest part for many is documenting the sea time required.
capt jgw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
I taught the OUPV/Master courses for 20 years. It's about $1000 but nearly everyone passes. You can go to a USCG REC center and take the exams yourself, but very few people pass on their first try. Application fee to the CG was $150 last time I checked, and you need to add a physical, drug test, and First Aid/CPR class. Hardest part for many is documenting the sea time required.
Fantastic info!!
I see a lot of private companies offering to prep for the exam
Do you have any recommendations ?
BYW I am in Milwaukee
Old Today, 09:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
Google OUPV (six pack) license and you will get many options. You can self study, validate you requirements, then test through a testing center or you can pay a company that will hold classes, provide study material, and provide testing and a package. The study can be done online or in person depending on the class structure you want.

Good luck
Foster
Thx Foster!
Do you have any recommendations as far as training programs or facilities?
Old Today, 10:18   #6

Boat: Columbia 36

The two schools I did classroom for are no longer in business. If you want to do the at home online version Mariners Learning System is pretty good. I proctored their live exams and the test score averages were very high, like 98%. Much higher than the classroom scores. But I have no idea how many bought the course and didn't stick it out to the test. They now do the final exams online too.
capt jgw is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
commercial, license