Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2009, 13:48   #1

Cost to Get a 6-Pack License?

I cant seem to find any numbers regarding the cost; can someone tell me what the 6-pack license costs (plus any other costs if there other certifications necessary before that)? These are necessary outside of the US, right? Internationally recognized? As in, I'd need one of these in Aruba for example?

If I were to decide in the future to upgrade that to a Master's license, what does that cost?

Also, is it true this is only for U.S. citizens? I'm Canadian, and Dutch. If someone can tell me the equivalent in Canada, that would be great.
Green23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 15:24   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
In the Seattle area the cost is about $800 after books and all. But here's a link that will give you more info.
But you'll need a certain amount of sea time (documented) in the past 3 years to qualify for the license application. I took the course just for the education. About half of the info was new to me.

Zenith Maritime Seattle - professional maritime education

Here's a Canadian link.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/mps...ation/menu.htm

On to: http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/mps...n/stcw/mou.htm
Old 23-08-2009, 15:33   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
About $700 to $800 in Florida.
The course is about $500 or so, then the books, the background check, the drug test, the First Aid course, etc add to the total.

Upgrade to Masters would be about $200 I think.

Check out this link:

Maritime Professional Training
Old 23-08-2009, 16:51   #4

Boat: Morgan OI 414
You will also need to add in the cost of a physical examination by a Doctor, about $120.00. And you will need a Government issued TRANSPORTATION WORKER IDENTIFICATION CREDENTIAL at a cost of about $130.00.

Being a Canadian, you will be limited to the six pac license only.
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 16:57   #5

Thanks for the information, guys.

As for being limited cuz I'm Canadian, I would have thought there was an equivalent to the Master's, whether it be here in Canada, or, say, Aruba.
Old 23-08-2009, 18:14   #6

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
If you are simply going to sail your own boat, you do not need any kind of license. If you intend to try to earn money by captaining aboat other than your own, then you will need a license. There is a UK equivilent to the USGG Masters, I believe that it is called a Yacht Master License/Certificate. I do not know if Canada has an equivilent or not.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 18:37   #7

Yes, in the future I was looking to make some money chartering down there in the years ahead.
Old 23-08-2009, 18:40   #8

Boat: Telstar 28
Canada 6 pack

Canada does not have an equivalent to the USCG 6 pack. There is no requirement for license for small craft even when commercial carriage. There is a 60 ton master license
noreault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 19:45   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The license required is related to where you actually operate. Once you try to be commercial there isn't always a case where one license is all you need. Business licenses also are required locally. You insurance also changes a great deal (not in a good way). There are no insurance breaks by getting a license.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 20:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
The license required is related to where you actually operate. Once you try to be commercial there isn't always a case where one license is all you need. Business licenses also are required locally. You insurance also changes a great deal (not in a good way). There are no insurance breaks by getting a license.
This is getting more and more confusing. Maybe I should learn how to sail before I ask all these questions. lol. Oh well, just trying to get a jump on things. The more I can learn now, the better.

Okay, so I cant get a USCG Masters because I'm not American; Canada doesn't have an equivalent - Perhaps these Dutch islands have a Dutch equivalent?
Old 22-10-2009, 08:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green23 View Post
This is getting more and more confusing. Maybe I should learn how to sail before I ask all these questions. lol. Oh well, just trying to get a jump on things. The more I can learn now, the better.

Okay, so I cant get a USCG Masters because I'm not American; Canada doesn't have an equivalent - Perhaps these Dutch islands have a Dutch equivalent?
I'm studying for my license right now, and it certainly wouldn't hurt for you to pick up a self-study guide on the Internet for $30 and learn a bunch of things.

Personally I think a lot of mariners would be better off spending $100 on books and studying rather than spending thousands on gadgets to compensate. Not aiming that at you or anyone in this thread; there are just a lot of people out there that have no idea how to safely operate a vessel.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 23:56   #12

Re: Cost to Get a 6-Pack License?

What is wrong with going this route for $80.00 (plus physical exam, and other minimal costs)?
Mariner Advancement Ab License
L124C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 00:28   #13

Boat: private yacht always moving

get the sea time and study along the way. start studying the rules of the road. 20 minutes a day will make a difference. That is the hardest test on the 100ton or 6pack license
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 03:00   #14

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Rules of the road was challenging but it seemed that several people failed the plotting section when I tested.. recreational craft insurance dropped 5% but commercial use ins is costly
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 03:06   #15

Boat: private yacht always moving

with the plotting you can only be off 3 degrees i think. When you do a course if one of your plots are off there rest are off. take your time on the test. When i took my 200 mate test it only took be 15 minutes to pass the plotting, BUT i took that course right after hte 100 ton course so i had a head start on some people. Several people who failed the course were captains, they just did not spend the time to study.
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license