Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2015, 10:30   #1

Day skipper in September

Dear Forum.

I am new to this and would appreciate some knowledge beyond what I have found in Google.

1. Dayskipper - where in the world (I am traveling) would be reasonable and interesting to do the course. I did my day skipper with my wife in Croatia, for a very good cheap last minute price and it was incredible. Do they do this in Bali? Asia? Or should I stick to Europe/Canaries. I would love to see new things while doing this course. Croatia was a great easy archipelago to start learning how to sail on.

2. listings of sale prices. I know it is an expensive world, but every now and again, one has to look for bargains. It being September and not August, is there a link that someone knows to last minute prices? Any recommendations would be really appreciated.

3. Thanks!

Alspants.
alspants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Day skipper in September

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Alspants.

Google "last minute boat charter"
https://www.google.ca/search?q=last+...eHHIuxeLqymfgN

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:56   #3

Hi Gordmay.

Thanks for that.

I did a lot of Googling. I think I mentioned that in the first line of my post. Also, I don't want to charter a boat, I would like to do a Day Skipper course.

I did also "Googled Last minute Day Skipper course". This did not lead to much. And so I googled, "sailing forum" so I could find information more efficiently then Google. I thought I would do this by positing a question on a form. Here is the link to that post "http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1888140#post1888140"

Thanks.
Alspants.
alspants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 20:17   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Alspants,

Let me echo Gord's welcome. You mention that you don't really want to charter. So I take it you just want to learn to sail competently or you think you need certification to sail. Based on this assumption:

I can't speak for other countries but in the U.S. there is a requirement in some states for a basic safety course for young people. Otherwise, no requirements. You can buy a million dollar yacht and sail off into the sunset ( or at least try). I've met too many people that think that if they can drive a car, they can "drive" a boat. Usual result, DISASTER!

You are wise to seek training no matter where you are in the world! Besides dedicated sailing schools which you can find by googling. There are ASA accredited schools that would allow you charter their boats. There are also charter companies that will charter you a boat along with a captain to teach you.

You can also hang around marinas and yacht clubs where people are looking for crew.

My personal route was basic sailing from the Red Cross, a year of crewing for a yacht club racer, followed by a beginning and intermediate sailing school. I then bought my first boat, a Morgan 32, and my education really began.

Some may take issue with it but I tell people I can teach them basic sailing in an afternoon. But it takes a lifetime to truly be a sailor. I thought after 20 years of owning a sailboat I was fairly knowledgable. Then I found this forum. Hardly a day goes by that I don't learn something new.

I hope I've answered some of the questions I thought you were asking. If not, ask them again. There is expertise here from all over the world. Some are as new as you while others have thousands of miles under their keels. You will figure who is who in short order.

Enjoy your time here and the best of luck in your sailing growth.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 08:45   #5
Marine Service Provider

We have a special offer stating 5th September, subject to weather conditions here in the BVI, contact me for details info@tortolasailingschool.com
TS2015 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skipper