Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2012, 21:19   #1

Distance Learning Day Skipper Theory

Hi everyone

I have just moved from the UK to Auckland and am wanting to get into sailing. I spent a lot of my youth on boats but have not been near one for the last 10 years so am excited to live somewhere where I can now get back into it!

As well as just getting some sailing done I also want to start doing some qualifications for both fun and to improve my skills.

I want to start with the RYA dayskipper courses. There are plenty of schools out here in New Zealand that do the RYA practical courses but none that really seem to do the RYA dayskipper theory course, just a NZ equivalent which doesn't appear to be as in depth.

Only option is to try and find a Uk school which offers an online course that I can do in my own time around work. Does anyone know if this is possible or have any recommendations??
Thanks!
Ed
Toadsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 22:25   #2

Hm. Have been googling around and found a few schools that do online courses such as Chichester Maritime.

One interesting point that came up was that getting a theory certificate was not a requirement for doing the practicals. There is a website that has all the dayskipper theory info online or free and it just asks for a donation to download. website is aztecsailing.co.uk

What do people think of just self learning from the Aztec website as opposed to spending £300 or so on doing a formal course?
Old 13-08-2012, 23:04   #3

Boat: Seawind 1160, 38 foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Mick C
Hi
My suggestion from the DS theory viewpoint is to get the RYA handbook. Also get yourself a set of shapes and light flash cards, either physical cards or an app for the phone. An app for the COLREGS and just study it well. The exam is relatively simple. But the best way it to do the practical and theory at the same time on a course for 5 days on a boat. It is FANTISTIC, really really great experience. I highly recommend it.
Mick
Old 13-08-2012, 23:31   #4

I'd love to do the theory and practical in one but I don't have the option sadly as that is just not offered in New Zealand.
So only option is a separate online theory course and then doing a practical course here. Ques is do I do a formal theory course and exam or just do some self study with aztec without doing the actual exam.
Old 14-08-2012, 00:11   #5

Boat: Seawind 1160, 38 foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Mick C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadsurfer
I'd love to do the theory and practical in one but I don't have the option sadly as that is just not offered in New Zealand.
So only option is a separate online theory course and then doing a practical course here. Ques is do I do a formal theory course and exam or just do some self study with aztec without doing the actual exam.
From my perspective the theory is only as good as how you use it. All during the practical sessions we were asked about the theory in terms of real life things around us. As an example we sailed in port Phillip Melbourne and its a busy shipping port with traffic separation systems. So as you are sailing along and see flags, shapes, markers you should be able to answer the question "what is that for?". If not ask the trainer and that usually starts a whole conversation. It's the best learning possible IMHO.
I am from Ireland originally and had not sailed for 15+ years before I started again here. My experience is that we (from that end of the world) tend to be more about "by the book". Whereas here its more about, "have a go" and learn. So I hope this helps you, my recommendation from experience is go on the practical course and get on to a weekend racing crew as soon as you can. 2 years down the track your experience and knowledge will be greater than if you spent that time only studying...I promise.
Mick
Old 14-08-2012, 01:36   #6
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Distance Learning Day Skipper Theory

There are NO sailing schools of any kind in Kuwait, if people wanna learn, they learn from each other.

About ten years ago, some friends and I each signed up to an online YM course (spiral learning, so we simply went for the hardest level with most info), each selecting different courses, hence different materials. Then every Monday we had dinner and study. Then we brought out an instructor, who examined the two who were ready for YM, and then ran a course for the rest of us, passing us out at Day Skipper and Coastal Skipper (practical). Worth the money? Perhaps not, most people now travel and go somewhere like Cyprus for their course. But we were happy to do it on our own boats.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 23:03   #7

Try RYA online theory courses. They are in Australia and do all the RYA theory courses on line. Don is a great bloke and is always there to help. Good for RYA day skipper, coastal skipper and ocean.
Madeline
Madeline41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 23:11   #8

Completing the full day skipper theory means you are far better equipped to complete a day skipper practical. While you do not need to have the theory certificate to do the practical it does assume you have knowledge to that level.
There are some poor schools out there who will just take your money to get you on a practical course but if your aim is to become a first rate skipper then you will let yourself down if you do not invest in both.
I was an RYA yachtmaster instructor for many years and there were many students who did not pass because they arrived on board with very limited knowledge and could not do basic tasks such as a course to steer to allow for tide or work up an estimate of position.
If your spending money on a course it is well worthwhile not to cut corners
Rgds
Madeline
Madeline41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 20:52   #9

You might try

RYA Day Skipper Course- Foundation Sailing Courses from Ocean Training

I have no affiliation with them.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 07:27   #10

First off, good for you in deciding to take some training. The RYA is an excellent programme and you will learn a lot.

I don't know anything about Aztec. It might well be excellent, I have no idea.

Distance learning is fine, but if I were in your shoes I think that I'd investigate the local theory courses first ... there is value in face-to-face instruction with a good teacher, and the RYA does not have a monopoly on wisdom. You could always supplement a local course with RYA books, which are superb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick C
But the best way it to do the practical and theory at the same time on a course for 5 days on a boat. It is FANTISTIC, really really great experience. I highly recommend it.
I don't recommend that approach (which it sounds like is not even an option in NZ). Five days is not enough time to both DS theory and practical combined. Sure it's possible, and you can receive both certificates, but you'll shortchange yourself and won't learn nearly as much as if you do the courses consecutively. There is a reason why there are two separate courses ...

I agree with Madeline41: someone who has already studied the theory will get a lot more out of a practical course than someone who hasn't.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 21:57   #11

Short answer is fly to Sydney and do your internationally recognized yacht training courses, flights from NZ are cheap as and you'll learn a lot, end up with internationally recognized certificates, especially if you want to work on yachts an earn a living, hope this helps
waverunners is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
learning, skipper