Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2019, 16:37   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Do I need certification to sail?

NJ's initial statements when they passed the laws were for "all waters".

"So if I stop off in NJ on my next trip north and anchor overnight at Cape May I am required to have some kind of certification? That seems a bit unreasonable."

Generally a state is allowed to require *more* than the USCG requirements, within state waters, tidal or not. But NJ never said that aliens had to have NJ certification--just that everyone had to have EITHER NJ certification, or a federally recognized certification (i.e. the online foundations), OR certification from their home jurisdiction, whether that's Iowa or the UK.

If they've now restated their position to be "non-tidal waters only" then hip hooray...Chris Cristie won't be rerouting traffic to jam the GW Bridge anymore either, so that's two good things for NJ.(G)

I never bothered worrying about it, I've got one state course and two online "federal" courses. NY and NJ actually did have a major dispute over which one had the rights to Staten Island, settled long ago, peacefully. But if those mainlanders get uppity, we just might have to cross the river and push them all the way back to Iowa. As if anyone would notice if the map just went from Pennsylvania to New York without any distractions.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 09:30   #17

Boat: Westerly Storm 33

I'm posting as no one has mentioned the ICC - or to quote its full name The International Certificate for Operators of Pleasure Craft.

I don't know whether this is recognised in the USA, but it is an International Certificate. In The UK it is issued by the Royal Yachting Association (RYA) on behalf of the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency.

You need a modest qualification to get an ICC - I have a Day Skipper's Certificate which was enough to get the ICC. It's valid for 5 years and renewable. It's useful as it's an International recognition of competence. It covers sail, powercraft and personal watercraft (I think those are those mosquito-like Jetski things).

It might be worth researching whether the ICC is recognised in the USA and aiming to get the qualifications to obtain one as that means you have a recognised International certificate. Useful too if you want to charter somewhere exotic.

Paul Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 12:44   #18

Boat: Tayana 37 Pilot House

My Canadian friend tells me that Canada requires a certificate of basic boating knowledge such as recognizing right of way rules, navigation aids, etc.
Taipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 14:03   #19

Boat: GibSea 352

Surely, the thing that matters is that you know the rules of the road?
The COLREGS

It helps to avoid collisions...
DavidMRea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 14:16   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
Generally speaking you will need a USCG Masters license if you operate a vessel for hire...
First off, irrelevant to the OPs question, obviously. Secondly, there's probably 10 times as many guys out there with 6-pack licenses as there are with Masters licenses, and every one of them can operate a vessel for hire.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 19:33   #21

Certifiable for sure. All that I'll add is get a real tippy small boat and learn how to keep it upright in big winds and let nature take her course and you'll know when you're ready for something bigger. Forget all the regulations until you're ready to cross state lines and more.
Jackz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 20:07   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024
Generally speaking you will need a USCG Masters license if you operate a vessel for hire...
First off, irrelevant to the OPs question, obviously. Secondly, there's probably 10 times as many guys out there with 6-pack licenses as there are with Masters licenses, and every one of them can operate a vessel for hire.
First off there is no such thing as a 6-pack - Oh wait you were using the term 6-pack to represent OUPV and Launch Operator's License and such. Just like I used Master to represent all USCG licenses.

Rather than run you down I think that I will just allow your imprecision and take your meaning at face value.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 20:40   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipe View Post
My Canadian friend tells me that Canada requires a certificate of basic boating knowledge such as recognizing right of way rules, navigation aids, etc.

Golly, you're so close, yet...

Required if you spend more than 45 days here. Who checks? haha

It's called a PCOC, Pleasure Craft Operators Card.

Basic stuff, open book online test for $45.

Still, the goons are out there.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 21:24   #24

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

It's pretty important to have a VHF radio on board. But a radio operator's license is required to legally operate it, including to be issued with a call sign. It's the only certificate I was required to have - a half day course at the local boat club.
The boat club enforced this requirement. Never heard of Govt enforcement. This in NZ. US states - n.f.i.
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 21:34   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph221980 View Post
My main goal is sail in the U.S maybe in another country, Not looking to profit. Just me and a friend.
It depends on whose boat you plan on sailing. If you charter you routinely have to prove your experience at handling the vessel you are chartering. If you are purchasing, insurance companies typically require the same proof. Certifications are one of the methods of proving your abilities in both cases. The type of certification required varies based on locale.
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 03:37   #26

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

There are many countries/states where you might not need any certification but as skipper you are responsible for the safety of yr crew/friends/family. So why take the risk? Better you do a few courses.
if you wish to charter, the charter companies will often ask for a list of yr experience/certificates and in Europe they usually require the second person on board to also have some experience but not necessarily certified. If you have yr own boat then the insurance company may ask for yr experience (or charge you a higher fee!). The ICC as mentioned earlier, is a good cert to have in many countries since it has many languages on it for the local HM or Customs to be able to understand it. Widely accepted and worth getting but you do not need to have circumnavigated with tens of thousands of Nm under yr belt. Just a first stage certificate is enough.
When i bought my first sailing boat about 25 yrs ago i thought i knew how to sail having sailed as a kid and chartered many times. I thought i would do a course anyway and was shocked to discover how much i did NOT know. Do a course, for your own safety and the safety of yr friends. As a minimum you are going to need a VHF/DSC operators licence, presuming you will have a VHF. Then you need to do a safety course, as well as a First Aid course.
Andrew
Old 28-04-2019, 16:54   #27
Marine Service Provider

Even with some elementary type of certification but lack a ton of documented experience (sea-time) you are probably uninsurable, which means no marina, public or private, nor any foreign country will let you in.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 17:45   #28

Boat: a sailing boat

There is always something even if it is not enough. I think in most countries it is not legit to use marine vhf without a certificate (operator's).

So you cannot skip it. Also, most insurers refuse you if you have no operator (boat's) license of sorts. And most countries require third party liability ins.

So ...

Yes, you nit some paperwork before you can operate that craft (internationab.ly).
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 08:26   #29

Quote: "In Canada ..., you may be required to obtain a "Boater Card" in some ... provinces."

In Canada, in ALL provinces, though not in the arctic territories of Nunavut and North West Territories, you are required to have a "Pleasure Craft Operator's Card". There are certain exemptions such as the owner of a foreign flagged vessel brought into Canada for a period of less than 45 days.

For the horse's mouth, go here: Proof of competency for recreational boaters - Transport Canada

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:13   #30

Boat: 19' Lightning

Yes you need to be declared certifiably insane like the rest of us salty bums
robmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
certification, sail