Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20-03-2015, 09:28   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Do skippers really want crew? Doesn't seem so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
I for one, would rather go short-handed than put up with the crap that some people are requiring as being crew.
The idea of someone comming aboard my boat with a list, as to when I last servised my shitter, is beyond acceptance.. And there is NO need for these people..
Good Crew with a good personality can be found about any Yacht Club or Marina within an hour or so if need be.
I came across a local sailing club that was looking for people with boats to take new people out sailing. I checked into it as I like company, so they sent me a 6 page checklist form that included that there was a requirement for me to be evaluated on 2 sails by other club members.

I passed on that chance to take newbies out sailing on my boat.
Old 20-03-2015, 09:35   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
As a male, that crew scares the hell out me
True, I'll be having a great time with that crew up until the time they dump me into the inflatable and send me drifting
Old 20-03-2015, 10:37   #18

Boat: Catalina 30

So your girlfriend lied...size does matter...LMFAO
Mystktravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 11:29   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do skippers really want crew? Doesn't seem so...

Awww.. come on guys.. I can think of a few folk who made friends in real life after meeting on here.. then one or the other rolled up in port one day and next thing.. your having a beer together.
Or.. helping a virtual friend move his virutual boat.. in reality.. from Poole to Falmouth..
Passing on jobs you can't fit in and you think/know they're capable..
Or hauling into a port with fuel problems and have someone show up and say 'Hey.. saw you were here.. need a ride or anything..'
Or.. Van pulls up and a voice yells.. 'OIii !!.. BOATIE...!! heard ya need a Bed and a Brief..'
No its got nothing to do with underwear.. tsk, tsk, tsk..
CF can be pretty awesome if you let it..
Bit like sailing.. and Marmite..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 11:34   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Yes....yes there is.
See most looking for Crew posts are made by single handed male sailors and if you don't send a photo of yourself like below, they just toss your dating request....ah....I mean "crew list application form" in the trash.
So either shave your legs and get a bikini shot or realize the best crew opportunities come from friends and people you know, not from an internet dating site.

Rich,
Your a dirty old man, this little girl can't be much more than 13 yrs old.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 11:54   #21
Marine Service Provider

It could be either the picture of you or the gender or both.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 12:16   #22

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Never having had or been crew before I read this with a lot of interest and some alarm. Most I've ever done is a 73 hour passage in our Pearson 365. Now, new ocean, new (big) boat, I'm certain if I wanna go where I wanna go there is crew in my future.

When we docked in Blaine, WA last August we were sent to the dock where all the commercial boats are berthed. There were also two for profit tall ships there. Within 12 hours we had 5 visits from crew all young, very knowledgeable, looking to jump ship and crew for us as long as we were going anywhere away from here. I heard the Capt drilling them at 11 pm on a Saturday night. C'mon. I watched their boat handling skills and they were more than pretty good.

Okay, I'm getting to the point. A) the crew (all btwn 18-25) probably had unreal expectations, but they were skilled at sailing AND one other thing (cooking, EMT, diesel mechanic). B) the captain was making sure the voyage was profitable but absolutely no fun. I think both the crew's and captain's expectations had not been explained prior to that voyage. It seems to me, looking at this issue as a newbie, but one who will be VERY interested in this subject soon, that it'll take more than contact on a forum or a phone to make a good match. Skype, phone calls, repeated emails, references on both sides.

There are a lot of inflated stories everywhere associated with sailing. Big surprise. I have no idea how it will work out for me, but thanks for opening my eyes.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 12:54   #23

Always be wary of taking on backpackers as crew! They're usually down to they're last nickle and are just looking for free transport. Will tell you anything they believe you want to hear. Then moan, complain and ask how much farther the full distance...

Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 13:10   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Rich,
Your a dirty old man, this little girl can't be much more than 13 yrs old.
You REALLY need to get your eyes checked

Does the same girl look 13 here?

What about here?

Stock Photos, Royalty-Free Images and Vectors - Shutterstock
Old 20-03-2015, 13:14   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Never having had or been crew before I read this with a lot of interest and some alarm. Most I've ever done is a 73 hour passage in our Pearson 365. Now, new ocean, new (big) boat, I'm certain if I wanna go where I wanna go there is crew in my future.

When we docked in Blaine, WA last August we were sent to the dock where all the commercial boats are berthed. There were also two for profit tall ships there. Within 12 hours we had 5 visits from crew all young, very knowledgeable, looking to jump ship and crew for us as long as we were going anywhere away from here. I heard the Capt drilling them at 11 pm on a Saturday night. C'mon. I watched their boat handling skills and they were more than pretty good.

Okay, I'm getting to the point. A) the crew (all btwn 18-25) probably had unreal expectations, but they were skilled at sailing AND one other thing (cooking, EMT, diesel mechanic). B) the captain was making sure the voyage was profitable but absolutely no fun. I think both the crew's and captain's expectations had not been explained prior to that voyage. It seems to me, looking at this issue as a newbie, but one who will be VERY interested in this subject soon, that it'll take more than contact on a forum or a phone to make a good match. Skype, phone calls, repeated emails, references on both sides.

There are a lot of inflated stories everywhere associated with sailing. Big surprise. I have no idea how it will work out for me, but thanks for opening my eyes.
I'm calling your bluff, redhead. I was crew on one of those tallships last summer. You can check my bona fides. NOT ONE of your accusations is true.

Not the 11:00 p.m. drilling on a Saturday night story. Not the "for profit" claim. Not the "jump ship" for your Pearson fantasy. Not the part about us being 18-25 years old (I'm sure not!). If memory serves me, that Saturday was movie night in the park, and most of us were watching the "Everything Is Awesome" Lego movie, with our Captain. Anyone who was in Blaine that night will remember it too.

Maybe it was some other Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chieftain that you parked next to. Anyone who has actually visited these ships, or crewed with us, is hooting at your mischaracterization of who we are and what we do. I sure am!
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 13:37   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
I'm calling your bluff, redhead. I was crew on one of those tallships last summer. You can check my bona fides. NOT ONE of your accusations is true.

Not the 11:00 p.m. drilling on a Saturday night story. Not the "for profit" claim. Not the "jump ship" for your Pearson fantasy. Not the part about us being 18-25 years old (I'm sure not!). If memory serves me, that Saturday was movie night in the park, and most of us were watching the "Everything Is Awesome" Lego movie, with our Captain. Anyone who was in Blaine that night will remember it too.

Maybe it was some other Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chieftain that you parked next to. Anyone who has actually visited these ships, or crewed with us, is hooting at your mischaracterization of who we are and what we do. I sure am!
Is this what ya call a gotcha?
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 13:56   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Is this what ya call a gotcha?
I dunno. I was having fun here along with everybody else. Love the photographic documentation!

Here's one for ya: Years ago, a sloop sailed past with an all-girl crew. Not just good looking, but sharp! They were sailing as a team, working the boat to weather.

One lone guy was aboard, sitting back and enjoying the ride. The boat's name?

Dońa Juana.

ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 14:12   #28

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
True, I'll be having a great time with that crew up until the time they dump me into the inflatable and send me drifting
Not a good thing to be outnumbered that badly. Those smiles could turn deadly.
Old 20-03-2015, 14:32   #29

I've had good luck with Offshore Passage Opportunities which has a small membership fee. I crewed from Newport RI to Bermuda.

https://www.sailopo.com/
msinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 15:39   #30

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I stand by what was said to me by the crew visiting my boat. I stand by the statement that the crew was being drilled on Saturday night - maybe 10pm not 11, because the sun doesn't set until 9:30.

I stand by my post. Sorry you didn't hear what I was trying to say.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, skipper