Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2007, 13:34   #1

Documenting Experience for 6Pack?

Hello All,

I have been looking over the requirements for OUPV and begun study for the exam. I am a little short on the 90 days experience in the last 3 years but I will have that resolved shortly

My dificulty lies in documenting my experience over the last 15 years. It easily amounts to much more than 360 days. Unforttunately I have almost
no solid documentation to show it.

I have not retained any paperwork on boats I have owned in the past other than my last boat. I spoke with the last place I chartered (4 years ago) and
they told me they don't keep detailed records that long.

What will be required ? I can fill out the forms indicating experience but if I am required to show additional docs I may be stuck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Steve
mohave_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 14:49   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
You have the same problems most of us have had.

Been there done that.

I got a 6-pack back in 1985. Let it expire, then had to start all over again documenting my stuff in 1999 to sit for the 50 ton exam. Had to contact the guy that bought my previous boat in -88. He verified and swore up and down that I had owned and sailed the boat before he bought it.
(Rather him than contacting my ex-wife who was the co-owner back then)

Renewing the -50 ton and upgrading to 100 ton I had to sing and dance and contact friends and ex-coworkers to have them swear I spent at least 4 hours a day on the water for 360 days over the last 5 years, or some such thing.

Let this be a lesson to all on the board: Keep a good log and good records of your experience..It will make it easier to get a ticket later on.
Old 09-09-2007, 15:05   #3

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Talk to the folks at USCG. I think, if you want to claim time on your own vessel, you will have to show some proof of ownership. Now, if it was state registered, write to the state. Most will give you a duplicate record for a few bucks. I think the most I paid was $5.00 to California.

If you insured it, the old insurance company may be able to provide help.

Charter companies I worked with were helpful, but if they don't keep records that long, too bad. Surely, most of your time is not on charters.

I lost tons of time on boats I didn't own and lost touch with owners. If I had records of dates and could find the owner/master, they would certainly sign my sea time record.

USCG seems pretty lenient at proving ownership, but they will want something.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 15:27   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Proof of ownership should be all that is needed unless things have changed. I only had to fill out the time on the forms and that was it. No documentation required. I did go through a Sea School instead of going on my own. To me it was well worth the price.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 16:06   #5

Registration numbers

To document time on vessels, you will need the proper vessel registration numbers, and either a signature from the vessel owner (at the time you were getting experience) or a person who would be able to vouch for your time. You can often get help by contacting the state vessel registration office.

From what I'm told, there's really no time limit on *when* you put in your sea time, but it's best to start with the present/easiest to document relevant experience and work your way backward.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 17:14   #6

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
yea you will need title or federal documentation if you are going to claim time aboard your vessel as sea time, any time on other boats will need to be signed for by the registered owner, you don't need a copy of their registration,, however you will need their registration numbers.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 23:16   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I believe sea time requirements have changed in that only the sea time you have acquired in the last five years counts. I know it's the requirement for the higher level licenses. Check with the Coasties regarding the Six Pack and 100 ton.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:30   #8

Boat: C&C 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
Proof of ownership should be all that is needed unless things have changed. I only had to fill out the time on the forms and that was it. No documentation required. I did go through a Sea School instead of going on my own. To me it was well worth the price.
Schools represented at the Houston Boat show gave me the same information for the 6-pack. If one uses a school he can claim time on his own boat without a logbook and take the Coast Guard tests from the school as part of the classes.

I like the idea of credentials, but question the value of the 6-pack to someone who has no plan to use it commercially or leave the states. On the one hand the knowledge is valuable but it may cause the Coast Guard to be more critical during inspections. I would hate to have a warning become a citation...
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:51   #9

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
USCG Licensing
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:53   #10

Boat: Alura 30
How many years is the 6 pack good for and what is required for renewal? I had mine for 2 years now.
JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:01   #11
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
I like the idea of credentials, but question the value of the 6-pack to someone who has no plan to use it commercially or leave the states. On the one hand the knowledge is valuable but it may cause the Coast Guard to be more critical during inspections. I would hate to have a warning become a citation...
Many benefits to having a 6-pack or higher ticket, especially for a cruiser:

1)If you need extra income along the way, just put the anchor down and take a job driving a dive-boat or some other small vessel.

2) Discounts on boat insurance.

3) You learn something valuable, such as rules-of-the-road

Never heard that the CG is more critical during an inspection..Probably the other way around if anything..?
If you are afraid they are going tough on you for being a licenced captain, don't tell them you have a ticket.

I have never been stopped or inspected by the US CG, but have had plenty of interaction with the local Marine-Police: The only time I mentioned anything about my ticket was when some passing power boat made dangerous wake and caused damage to my vessel. I called the cops on VHF and told them to get the power boat guy and bring him back so as to pay for the damage. They did and I got my $1,000.00.
In the accident report I had to list my qualifications: Ya stand a bit stronger if you are licensed I think....
Old 11-10-2007, 09:15   #12

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
There is a fair amount of supposition and misinformation growing in this thread. I suggest you look on the USCG website and get the info straight from the horse's mouth.

See USCG Licensing & Documentation

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote