Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 17:33   #61

Re: Does anyone get the FCC license?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
I appreciate your need to be snarky, but I didn't say anything wasn't true. What book would you recommend I read that will tell me if cruisers get the license or not?
Of course what you said was true. I did believe you. And it is the reason that listening to a hundred random people tell you what they found interesting enough to talk about is not a good way of being sure you know everything.

A quick check of the cruising guides I use for the Caribbean shows every one has a section on radio licensing.

You already found the authoritative source that everybody else quotes, the FCC. You seemed to not believe them. Why believe random strangers on this forum?
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 18:24   #62

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Have had it since the early 90's - been boarded by USCG in both US and international waters several times and never been asked for it, but have it anyway.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 19:01   #63
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Good seamanship includes meeting all the necessary guv'mit requirements to go to sea .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 19:12   #64

Boat: Vancouver 27

If you're planning on cruising abroad, why not?

In the time it would have taken to read this whole thread you could've taken care of it and had it on it's way. It's dead simple to get.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 19:12   #65

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtBoater

"Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Radio License Information
An FCC ship station radio license is no longer required for any vessel travelling in U.S. waters which uses a VHF marine radio, radar or EPIRB, and which is not required to carry radio equipment. A license is necessary however for any vessel required to carry a marine radio, on an international voyage, or carrying an HF single sideband radiotelephone or marine satellite terminal."

Never heard of anyone doing this. Does anyone?
ha. i was a professional pilot for more than forty years and never got the fcc license.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 19:37   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbogie View Post
ha. i was a professional pilot for more than forty years and never got the fcc license.

Likely cause Decades ago a Pilot was no longer required to have one, nor the aircraft its radio station license.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 20:50   #67

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

However, Jim has had the FCC license for all the boats he's owned since I met him, and possibly before that! In addition to his ham radio license. And EPIRB registration.

Ann
Old 09-09-2018, 21:27   #68

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbogie View Post
You are very lucky you were not involved in an accident in any of several countries in S. America.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 00:05   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
But if for whatever unlikely reason they ask for your license when you did something that required one and you don't have one, pay the fine and give them your radios and don't whine on forums how unfair it is.
This is sounding more and more like the OP's situation. It's very clear that he needs one to be legal if departing US waters but keeps arguing about it.

If he runs across an official that demands it, pointing to the folks on this thread who have skirted the rules and got away with it isn't going to get him out of trouble.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:24   #70

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
To clarify. If I might contact another radio operator outside of US waters on a VHF then I would need the Restricted Radio Licesne (RR). So anyone chartering a boat outside the US would need one to be legal?
????????
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:32   #71

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Big difference between "need to have" vs "need to show".

I've driven thousands of miles in Canada and never was asked to show my Drivers License...does that mean I didn't need one?
Check points on the road are pretty common in much of the world. Asking for radio liscense...nil in my experience.

I have a station liscense and a General liscense. Many countries you should technically get reciprical liscence for that country too...few do. Over decades in USA and Carib countries Ive never been asked for any of the above nor ever gotten a reciprical liscence.

Has anyone here ever actually been asked to produce station or individual liscence?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:38   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Check points on the road are pretty common in much of the world. Asking for radio liscense...nil in my experience.
I've been thru a few checkpoints in various countries...never had to show my drivers license.

But even if you did, doesn't change the point...not being asked to show is still not the same as not being required.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:41   #73

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30yearslater View Post
We are already funding the FCC through our taxes so when we use a service then we have to pay again? ... I'm sure there will be no mass layoffs of persons employed at the FCC if no licenses are issued since they are already funded through our taxes. Of course I could be wrong.

I suspect general taxes (e.g., a portion of income taxes) only fund the existence of the FCC and maybe a few general services... and that FCC recovers specific additional costs that they incur (as for creating and maintaining a specific data base, etc.) through direct user fees. Latter meaning only actual users are burdened with that specific cost...

-Chris
Old 10-09-2018, 13:44   #74

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

Have you been asked for your radio call sign? It is on most of the vessel check-in forms. To get the call sign you need a license.

While I've had to fill in dozens of forms that requested my call sign, the only place that wanted o see the actual license was the Galapagos.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 14:37   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I suspect general taxes (e.g., a portion of income taxes) only fund the existence of the FCC and maybe a few general services... and that FCC recovers specific additional costs that they incur (as for creating and maintaining a specific data base, etc.) through direct user fees. Latter meaning only actual users are burdened with that specific cost...

-Chris
Thank you sincerely. That is the most intelligent response I have received in 2 years of questioning politicians, Coast Guard and various other entities. The maintenance of the database makes sense even if I think it is rather steep at $215 for Voluntary Ship's Station License and another $65 for the Restricted Radiotelephone License which I already have. Finally an explanation I can understand and find solace in.
Regards, Joe
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license