Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2018, 15:26   #91
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Does anyone get the FCC license?

Quote:
. I know the majority of people who replied here bought the stupid license, but never actually needed it.
Not really a stupid License, but a Required License if you sail to foreign countries.
As far as needing it, yes every time you talk to or sail to a foreign country.
(See above)

Have not been asked to show my Drivers License in 20 years, but need it every time I drive.

Pretty basic really and it has been explained over and over again in this thread.
Don’t feed the Troll.
Old 11-09-2018, 15:27   #92

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I'm pretty sure most (all?) of those who bought the licence did need it.
What makes you think they didn't need it?
When they said they never needed to show it, that made me think they didn't need it. In the context of the question I asked, need refers to having to show it to someone, not "required by law."
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 15:29   #93

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Have you been asked for your radio call sign? It is on most of the vessel check-in forms. To get the call sign you need a license.

While I've had to fill in dozens of forms that requested my call sign, the only place that wanted to see the actual license was the Galapagos.
Ive run across some that do, but it was not a required field (as SSB etc is not required). Never been asked to produce a liscence...of course Ive never done anything clearly stupid/illegal using radio gear either...I suspect thats when the liscence actually becomes a more significant question. I do have appropriate liscencing, just never been asked to prove it.

Interesting, that so far, Galapagos is the only place that has been given as specifically aking to see it.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 15:31   #94

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Not really a stupid License, but a Required License if you sail to foreign countries.
As far as needing it, yes every time you talk to or sail to a foreign country.
(See above)

Have not been asked to show my Drivers License in 20 years, but need it every time I drive.

Pretty basic really and it has been explained over and over again in this thread.
Don’t feed the Troll.
So you never needed to show it. Exactly. Just because something is required doesn't mean it's not stupid. It never needed to be explained in the first place. A driver's license presupposes you've been taught to drive. This FCC license has no requirements other than owning a radio. How is me asking that my YES or NO question be taken as such, trolling?
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 15:35   #95
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
So you never needed to show it. Exactly. Just because something is required doesn't mean it's not stupid. It never needed to be explained in the first place. A driver's license presupposes you've been taught to drive. This FCC license has no requirements other than owning a radio. How is me asking that my YES or NO question be taken as such, trolling?
Whatever, I am out.
Enjoy.
Old 11-09-2018, 16:08   #96
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
I watch YT while I wait to retire
I was explaining a point to someone else, no criticism intended, in fact nothing to do with you.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 16:14   #97

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

If a required VHF license isn't possessed, why not disconnect same unrequired radio and rely on a cell phone? If there is an emergency need for VHF use, who'll complain?
Old 12-09-2018, 03:57   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Really? Youve been stopped by cops at a traffic check point while you were driving and never been asked for liscence, registration, and insurance? Where did that happen?
Texas near the border (really CBP not cops).
Michigan.
Used to go into Canada and they didn't ask at the border.
Spain.

Usually, they just look in the window and wave you thru. Others may do it differently...but that doesn't change anything in regards to if you need proper paperwork.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:17   #99

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
That's funny. None of that came up in my search here, but I didn't even try google because I figgered I'd get what I wanted here.
I have a station license for my VHF because it is required for international operation. Go to the islands or Canada, legally you need it operate the VHF.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:44   #100

Boat: Tartan 37

I have a Station License for the VHF operation, how else do you get the cool station call numbers. I have been asked for that, a few times.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:40   #101
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I never really thought about it, but here I had always thought CBP's job, and limited authority, was to check if Chinese Red Army hordes had snuck across the border. I wasn't aware that they had any right to enforce *state* motor vehicle laws. How's that happen??

Ignoring the larger questions about their policy of "enforcing" the border up to 100 miles away from it. As one Florida politician remarked, "ALL OF FLORIDA is less than 100 miles from an international border."
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:29   #102
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

200million people, 2/3rds of the US population live in that zone.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 18:49   #103

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

I have a marine station license for the boat.

I have a restricted radiotelephone operator permit.

I have a amateur radio license.

I have had my licences checked only once. When entering the US from the Bahamas in Charleston, SC, the boarding officer pointed to the HF antenna lead to the backstay and asked if I had a license for it. I showed him the paperwork.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 20:02   #104

Yes, I did. Easy class but the main thing to me was that I came away with a better understanding of what all of the channels are used for. When applying for a job on the water one time, I told the interviewer that I had one. He said that he had never heard of one before and that he was in charge of the marine div. I got the job and several days after being on the job he came back and told me that he looked into it and they do exist. I laughed and told him "I know they do, I have one". Anyway, take the class, its very informative. Happy trails.
poesch6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 22:18   #105

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by poesch6 View Post
Yes, I did. Easy class but the main thing to me was that I came away with a better understanding of what all of the channels are used for. When applying for a job on the water one time, I told the interviewer that I had one. He said that he had never heard of one before and that he was in charge of the marine div. I got the job and several days after being on the job he came back and told me that he looked into it and they do exist. I laughed and told him "I know they do, I have one". Anyway, take the class, its very informative. Happy trails.
You must not live in the U.S. Pay money, get license, no test.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license