Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2018, 15:23   #121

Boat: 1962 Sunfish
Re: Does anyone get the FCC license?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Purinton View Post
Sorry this is lengthy but trying to clear up so misconceptions.

So the original question was: Does anyone get the FCC license?

Simple answer, YES.
Guessing WHY NOT would be an additional question plus if you don’t then What’s the consequences?
That was lengthy, but you're right, all I wanted to know is if people were getting them. I should have known better.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 15:29   #122

Boat: Wellcraft, Sportsman, 27’

Guess you missed my comment “ don’t worry be happy”.

Or if you don’t want to play by the rules then you should know what the rules are..

I’ve answered your question with a Yes..

I also offered reasonable reasons why.

Those that choose not is their choice..:
Znightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 15:43   #123

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Guess you missed my comment “ don’t worry be happy”.
Probably, because I didn't read past what I asked for.

Quote:
Or if you don’t want to play by the rules then you should know what the rules are..
What rules did I not play by? When did I say I didn't want to play by some rules? Where are you getting your information?

Quote:
I’ve answered your question with a Yes..
Clearly why I quoted it.

Quote:
I also offered reasonable reasons why.
No, you offered a dissertation on why the licenses are required, which I already know and did not ask for. But thanks for saying yes.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 16:15   #124

Boat: Wellcraft, Sportsman, 27’

As Mark Cuban would say, I’m out, good luck.
Znightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 16:17   #125

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
So other countries will ask for this license when checking in? I've never seen anyone report that either. Maybe it's so common no one bothers talking about it?
Yes, we've been asked for the ship license. Example: When approaching Nuie we made radio contact with the harbor master for entry permission. Question one was the ship license / call sign, followed by number of POB and etc. Not all countries demand or even request that info. {OEBxxxx, VZBxxxx, WDAxxxx, etc.} New Zealand didn't care; French Polynesia only wanted our bond money.

We have a Ship License and individual (restricted) Radio Operator Permit(s) issued by the American FCC. We also have other individual radio permits from Croatia. My wife is a German citizen, I hold US citizenship, our boat is registered in Austria, and sometimes when I hoist the anchor to check the chain for barnacles my wife says "Let's just go and visit another country". {To which the only acceptable response is: Yes, Dear.}

Somebody mentioned reciprocity for radio licenses. True - vessels in transit (or on short visit) are legally allowed to operate radios on their "foreign" license(s). Hang around long enough and you might well be required to obtain a host-country license.

Will you go to jail or be financially penalized for not having the appropriate license(s)? Is it worth the effort? Hey, I'm not a legal expert but when we check in to a new port I prefer to be known officially as WDDxxx instead of something like another (foreign registered) sailboat we've encountered that went by their boat name of "Secret Agent Man". Talk about inviting "inspection" !
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 18:44   #126

Boat: C-26

When I charter in the Mediterranean, I am always asked to produce my USCG captain license and my radio license. So yes, I did.
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 19:03   #127

Yes you can get by w/o the various licenses. But and its a serious but when getting inspected by the USCG and/or other foreign agencies its really helpful to have a documents binder including all possible official licenses, registrations, passports, insurance, etc and etc. to. “Make a Good Impression”. The usual perception from officialdom is that law abiding citizens in good standing take care to do all the officially required homework.

Second point. When hiring or considering hiring a Prof. Captain its really helpful to a fully detailed documents book in case of inspection by authorities. Domestic or foreign. An experienced Prof Captain will usually require inspection of your documentation binder to make sure all possible documents are in order.

Yes it can be something of chore to keep all the certifications up to date. But when you get boarded and all blue water sailors eventually get boarded it really does help to demonstrate that your documents are completely up to date.

Our experience when boarded the commanding officer asks to see the documents binder and looks at it carefully. Page by page. Several inches thick.
So far over 50 years and dozens of boardings we’ve never had the boat born apart. The documents binder speaks for us.

Peter. I Berman
Norwalk, CT
Author: “Outfitting the Offshore Cruising Sailboat” Paracay
piberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 22:45   #128

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Our experience when boarded the commanding officer asks to see the documents binder and looks at it carefully. Page by page. Several inches thick.
That's really impressive! What in the hell do you have for documents that add up to several inches worth?

Let's see: for yanks, CG or state registration, station license, operator license, state proficiency license (in states where they are required)... that's about 1/8 inch worth, so what else is in this "binder"?

I suppose a de-ratification certificate, marriage license (if married), dog license (if carrying a dog), Boy Scout badge certificates, lifetime membership in the Mickey Mouse club,... come on and tell us what's in there!

Jim
Old 14-09-2018, 23:05   #129

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

uh-oh....
note to self: get binder
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 23:25   #130

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
uh-oh.... note to self: get binder
Bureaucracy and Red Tape? Watch this....
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 05:16   #131

Boat: O'Day DaySailer 16

In Canada, to operate a VHF you are required to have a ROC(M) certificate. If we go international then we are required to have a station license like to the US. But, many boats don't have VHF anymore and trusting that their cell phones will be in range of help. I've never been checked but I'd rather be in compliance. Less things to worry about that way and I learned a lot taking the class.
mlucasparris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 06:22   #132

Boat: Marine Trader/Sundeck/40'

Are you joking?
CaptFigmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 06:39   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
That's really impressive! What in the hell do you have for documents that add up to several inches worth?

Let's see: for yanks, CG or state registration, station license, operator license, state proficiency license (in states where they are required)... that's about 1/8 inch worth, so what else is in this "binder"?

I suppose a de-ratification certificate, marriage license (if married), dog license (if carrying a dog), Boy Scout badge certificates, lifetime membership in the Mickey Mouse club,... come on and tell us what's in there!

Jim
I'm with you, Jim... "Several inches"?

If I was a boarding officer and you handed my a binder that was literally several inches thick, I'd be highly pissed, and hand it back to you to extract the documents I actually wanted to see. Don't try to baffle me with BS and worthless extraneous paper.

In our boardings we have never been asked for a "document binder", rather for individual documents of interest. It DOES present a good impression if you can extract those immediately and present them. Any time I am dealing with LE who are "just looking", making a good impression and being helpful is my top priority.

Our active document file looks like this:

Documentation certificate.
Local clearance paperwork (including crew list)
Local cruising permit
Local fishing licenses
(other local papers as required)
Receipts for port and customs fees
Insurance binder, and policy.
Clearance paper work from the last two ports.
Copies of passport front pages for each crew member.
USCG Captain's license
Radio licenses
List of ports visited for the last year
Yellow vaccine cards

That's kind of in the order I'd expect to be asked for them. Many (most?) of these might be needed for check in/out so we carry them in a waterproof portfolio.

Note that this is a dynamic pile of paper. Things come and go as we move from one country to another. Of course all older versions are saved. But there is no way I could inflate what I'd hand to a boarding officer to "several inches."
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 07:11   #134

As with a lot of things in our world, it usually doesn't matter until it all hits the fan. With radios, why not get a license? You will probably pick up some skills and information in the process. Hopefully the cost is not much and may be time well spent. Having worked in search and rescue communications I know that you won't be prosecuted for using any radio in a Mayday or Pan Pan situation without a license. Most people will be better equipped to use a radio in these situations if they have done some training - usually when getting their license! What ever you choose, be skilled in your radios' use, it might save you or another sailor out there. Cheers.
seanallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 08:00   #135

Quote:

So which license do you need?

Marine Radio Operator (MP)

* Is your boat >20 m and sailing on the Great Lakes?
* Is your boat >8 m in engaged and towing on the Great Lakes?
* Is your boat >300 gross tons?
* Is your vessel carry more than six passengers for hire?

If you answered “No” to previous questions above and...

* Are you sailing in foreign waters or
* communicating with foreign radio stations?
* OR
* Do you use MF/HF single side band or satcom?

If you answered YES to either of those questions you are REQUIRED to have a
RESTRICTED RADIO TELEPHONE OPERATOR PERMIT(RR).
Informative post

As a glorified bus driver, I'm required to have a Restricted Radio Telephone Operator Permit.

And YES, every time I go to the school house for any kind of training event, I am asked to produce my FCC permit.

When I went to sailing school, they offered a VHF certificate course for $250. I declined as I ass-umed my RO permit would be sufficient for sailing my private vessel around the world.

I trust this is the case.

Also, to address a previous post....I have bare boated in the MED and have not been asked to produce a radio permit/license as a requirement to charter. I'm not saying this is this case with every country.

I was asked to produce my sailing certificates.

Tags
license