Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 07:42   #16
TEE

Re: Extreme novice asks for help

I started sailing about 30 years ago. One of the first things I had to learn was exactly how much I didn't know. There is nothing wrong with dreaming of sailing off into the sunset. I have done that, and spent several months of my life crossing oceans, hanging out in various harbors in the carribean, and took a couple European deliveries to and from the US. I started that after I had about 10 years of coastal cruising, and had gone to two sailing schools, and had a captains license.

First, I wouldn't decide if I were you what size boat you want to buy to take off on a world cruise until I knew more about boats, their seaworthiness, and my ability to handle them. With no criticism intended, I think after you get some experience on a 30 to 35 foot boat, you will find that you have no interest in crossing an ocean in one with your family. There are very, very few boats that size capable of handling a major ocean passage safely. Those that are seaworthy in that size range are going to be slow as snails on a passage. Any lightweight coastal cruiser in that size range is going to be unsuitable for an extended passage.

Secondly, there are several good books written by people who have cruised extensively and are willing to share what they learned. Look up some books written by Larry and Lin Pardy. Also, look up some written on heavy weather sailing, navigation and safety.

I have never been on an extended passage when I did not at some point encounter some nasty weather. So before leaving, expect some, and have the confidence your equipment can handle what you encounter, and you have the skills to manage the equipment.

I am not a safety nut, but I know the ocean is hugely big, and when you are out there and things go wrong, and they will, it can be a very dark, isolated and scary experience. Don't expect anybody to save you, but yourself.
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:32   #17

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Lots of ways to get started and they pretty much all work.

If you currently live inland, I suggest starting with a daysailer that you can pull around on a trailer. In fact that is a great way to start even if you live on the coast cause you learn the basics without having to pay for a marina slip, and maintenance is easier in your driveway than in the water. An older boat doesn't depreciate as much. I would avoid a new boat for a first sailboat because you will likely upgrade at some point and you don't want to take a big resale loss after owning it for only a year or three.

Initially the most important things to learn are safety and the Rules Of The Road. Even when you are in sight of land this stuff is important. What if you get a fire? Start sinking? Have another boat coming right at you? You need to know enough stuff to respond correctly, and be comfortable with it to respond quickly.

Even your first cruising boat likely will not be your final forever boat. There are lots of built like a tank mid 70s boats in the 25 to 35 foot range out there under 10k, And Once Again you can usually resell for close to what you paid, if you keep up the maintenance and don't abuse her badly. Just make sure the boat is in all respects ready to sail. Don't start with a project boat. Too frustrating in the beginning and trust me, you won't save any money even if it is given to you, which btw is common. But the old beater boat will teach you a lot about maintenance and repair, while still keeping you safely afloat. Most of those old boats are pretty tough.

Being in a club is great. Lessons, formal or informal, are great. Crewing for someone is great. Just working from a sailing for dummies book and going for it is great. But a combination of the above is best. Every learning method is different and a variety of learning resources will make you a better and safer sailor.

To begin with, United States Power Squadrons® Safe boating fun thru education is a great resource and their basic class is a fine introduction to basic boating, whether you are interested in power or sail.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:35   #18

Wow! Thank you all for the warm welcomes and great info. To answer some of you, my wifey-type person, Cerena, is on board with the whole thing. She, like me, can't wait. I will more likely be the one doing most of the homeschooling. It looks like my first step is to chart out my goal and the path I'm going to take to get there. Might be time to relocate to Florida. Did some contract work there for a year. I liked Florida. Chuckr-I think it would be a treat to meet and talk with you. I'll drop you an email. Skipmac, and everyone for that matter, thank you so much. Looks like crewin' is the way to go. You all are just what I expected, helpful and kind and willing to help a newbie. Thanks again
GrimCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:11   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Looks like your on your way GC, perhaps I could add one more thing.
Get confident on your boat before you bring you child along. They can be great, but often it is all hands for the boat and he may get scared when you have to shove him downstairs rather quickly. We had kids onboard for a week this last summer (see blog). They did great, but did get seasick at one point.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:23   #20

Nope, no license... just the school of hard knocks.... The most forgiving US locale would likely be starting in Florida and cruising the Bahamas... lots of reward for little experience... then go from there! have fun.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:32   #21
Marine Service Provider

Dave -

I run a sailing school down in Grenada (www.LTDsailing.com) so of course I am going to tell you to come down and do a sailing course with us!

But really - some sort of a sailing course will help get you started in the right direction. Also - as mentioned earlier, your ASA certification logbook will cover you for any areas where you are required to have some sort of licensure (US, Med and other areas).

Another big plus to a live aboard sailing course is that you will get a good taste of what the cruising life is like.

It sounds like you are off to a good start reading everything you can find! Keep that up - but it is also important that you get out on the water! A good way to start out is to find a small sailing dinghy and get out on the water every chance you get! You will learn more about sailing, sail trim and boat handling on a small boat and much faster than you will on a big boat! Plus - it is affordable and it will fuel the fire of your cruising goals!

I whole heartedly agree with what Ann T. Cate said about getting your "wife type person" excited about sailing! Very important! Here is a blog my partner, Chrystal wrote on women learning to sail. It would also be a good idea to do a live aboard course together so the two of you can have some experience crewing together on a boat. It is important to build sailing skills together.

Beam winds,

Chris
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 13:38   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

GrimCoyote,

Hi, Dave,

I just looked at the link above, and to me, it is not a blog: it is advertising copy.

Nonetheless, there have been many posts on any number of threads here on CF relative to how women learn best to sail. For instance, "jackdale" who is a sail training instructor, has posted extensively on the subject. A few of the women lurkers here also have.

You've had a lot of input here, you'll be sorting out what will work for you for a while.

I like the idea of the move to FL. That would geographically place you so you could get started.

Ann
Old 01-11-2014, 14:03   #23

The very first thing to do is acquire a dinghy or board type sailboat such as a sunfish and learn to sail. The sunfish will give you immediate feedback as to wind, wind conditions, wind direction etc etc. Too many prospective sailors start right out with a big boat and never learn to feel the nuances of the wind . Do yourself a favor and spend some time with a board boat. Good luck.
Will
wmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 14:31   #24

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

GrimCoyote, I like the handle! Welcome to CF.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 15:16   #25

Boat: Lagoon 420

Have your wifey-type Cerena join Women Who Sail on Facebook. My wife enjoys the info shared with that group.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:11   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
GrimCoyote, I like the handle! Welcome to CF.
Hold on. Wouldn't a Grim Coyote eat a Praire Chicken and then step on a newt? I'm outta here!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:09   #27

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS
Re: Extreme Novice asks for Help

Quote:
Hold on. Wouldn't a Grim Coyote eat a Praire Chicken and then step on a newt?
You've got a point newt! The two are rather incongruous.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
novice