Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2012, 17:16   #1

Fast Track to Yachtmaster Offshore (Power)

Hi everyone I'm 21 years old and interested in a career in yachting. I've been doing some research regarding fast track programs to the MCA RYA Yachtmaster Offshore (Power) Certification with Commercial endorsement and I'm thinking of doing it at the Allaboard Sailing Academy in Gibraltar (Allabroad | Allabroad Sailing Academy). The only boating experience I have is power boats in the 20ft range, so I figure the fast track course would be a great stepping stone. I would appreciate any thoughts, opinions, and advice that you may have on doing this.

Also what would the job opportunities be like after finishing this course? (I'm not expecting to finish the course and immediately get a job as a skipper)

I will be taking a 2 week STCW course at the beginning of May here in Canada.
Tylerj280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 02:05   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerj280
Hi everyone I'm 21 years old and interested in a career in yachting. I've been doing some research regarding fast track programs to the MCA RYA Yachtmaster Offshore (Power) Certification with Commercial endorsement and I'm thinking of doing it at the Allaboard Sailing Academy in Gibraltar (Allabroad | Allabroad Sailing Academy). The only boating experience I have is power boats in the 20ft range, so I figure the fast track course would be a great stepping stone. I would appreciate any thoughts, opinions, and advice that you may have on doing this.

Also what would the job opportunities be like after finishing this course? (I'm not expecting to finish the course and immediately get a job as a skipper)

I will be taking a 2 week STCW course at the beginning of May here in Canada.
RYA YM is the entry level requirement along with the STCW95 courses to enter the super yacht industry as a deckhand. Opportunities are good.

Dave
Old 28-03-2012, 12:38   #3

Re: Fast Track to Yachtmaster Offshore (Power)

Assuming I pass the exams I will be a Master 200GT Limited, my understanding is that this also qualifies me as OOW under 500GT Limited is that correct?

I already hold an unrestricted Transport Canada marine medical, according to the MCA this is accepted as an ENG1
Old 28-03-2012, 18:10   #4
Nearly an old salt

I dont believe the YM commercial has any applicability to OOW as this manning requirement doesn't appear unto the 200 GTs.

Note the Commercial YM Offshore limits you to within 150 miles offshore, the Ocean endorsement is unlimited.

of course noone in their right mind will let you be "master" of anything just on a YM cert. You will start as a lowly deck hand.

PS your STCW95 courses must include

Personal Survival techniques (STCW A-V1/1-1)
Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities (STCW A-V1/1-4)
Elementary first aid (STCW A-V1/1-3)
Fire fighting and fire prevention (STCW A-V1/1-2)

and I forgot, from April of this year you'll have to do an online exam
for" Professional Practices and Responsibilities " ( not difficult)

Dave
Old 28-03-2012, 20:06   #5

I found this on the MCA website and it appears as tho OOW 500GT and Master 200GT are the same qualification Guidance & Regulations

I just verified that the STCW courses I am doing are the correct ones, I will require a radio operators cert and GMDSS but that can be done on the fast track course.

I was checking out Stormforce and they offer an Ocean Qualifying passage in october so I may look at doing that so that I can get my Master 200GT unlimited.

A lot of the deckhand jobs I'm seeing available are for yachts over 24m what are the opportunities like for smaller boats? Ill be doing a power course so I would like to stick with power boats.
Old 29-03-2012, 05:22   #6
Nearly an old salt

The radio cert includes the GMDSS stuff btw.

As to opportunities. I have a friend who runs a superyacht crew agency in Nice and they always need deckhands. Pay is very good especially for motor. ( around 60 -80 k dollars all found , often tax free, just don't get sucked into the lifestyle )

As to smaller boats. Many owners of 60 feet and up powerboats maintain captains ( or a one man boat manager ) often on the payroll of a company ( seen a few skippers called European marketing managers !!). Again with just a basic YM you'll need experience. It can be a boring job babysitting a boat in the off season , unlike bigger boats there isnt as good a crew social life. But hey it's money for doing little. obviously when the owner is onboard is yes sir three bags full sir, 24/7. Mechanical aptitude is a must as is the knowledge of how to get stains out of things and keep a boat gleaning ( I'm not kidding , I sailed with an ex 80m yacht skipper , he knew everything about getting stains out)

Charter fleets ( sail) sometimes take commercial YM s as fleet leaders.

Opportunities exist but you'll have to gain experience before anyone will seriously offer you command.
Old 29-03-2012, 06:27   #7

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

Quote:
The only boating experience I have is power boats in the 20ft range...
Are you certain that you'll qualify for a 200T Masters license? If so, I'm very surprised. I know here in the US the USCG wouldn't issue you a license for more than 25T (or an OUPV) with your seagoing experience.
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 07:01   #8
Nearly an old salt

The MCA Commercial Yachtmaster only applies to

"
This notice describes the system for deck officer certification for large commercial or private sailing and motor vessels and sail training vessels. It provides details of the certification system for deck officers serving in:

a) Commercial yachts or sail training vessels of 24 metres and over in loadline length and of less than 3000gt and which do not carry cargo and do not carry more than 12 passengers, covered by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) Large Commercial Yacht Code (LY2)1, and

b) Privately owned yachts, not in commercial use, of 24 metres and over in loadline length and of less than 3000gt used for sport or pleasure and which do not carry cargo and do not carry more than 12 passengers

Key Points
The certification system is progressive to allow yacht personnel to achieve yacht restricted qualifications for Officer of the Watch (OOW), Chief Mate and Master.

"

It has no applicability in the marine professional space on conventional cargo or passenger vessels. It is not in any way equivalent to the US "Masters " certification. It is used in the Uk for some approvals relating to very small passenger vessels and things like yacht instruction etc. It has no validity outside the Uk.

It was a scheme brought in some years ago, by the UK MCA, to organize the manning and professional standards of commercial leisure yachts, i.e. sail training, super yachts, professional manned yachts etc. Up till then there was no training scheme and many super yacht captains had no formal qualifications. Since the UK and its adjuncts, registry has the majority of large leisure vessels, it brought these in.

They have received widespread acceptance worldwide, but they do not have the legislative/treaty approval that say IMO certifications have in terms of cross country recognition.

Dave
Old 29-03-2012, 22:17   #9

Is the 1 day radio course STCW recognized? Here in Canada for the STCW GMDSS its a 10 day course, and a radio course is 3 days.

As far as mechanical aptitude goes I'm very good with engines I've been tinkering with them since I was little. The AEC is something I will look into doing after I receive my YM.

After taking the YM Power course would there be any point in taking Power Boat 2? Or is it still a legal requirement for tenders?
Old 30-03-2012, 01:33   #10
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerj280 View Post
Is the 1 day radio course STCW recognized? Here in Canada for the STCW GMDSS its a 10 day course, and a radio course is 3 days.

As far as mechanical aptitude goes I'm very good with engines I've been tinkering with them since I was little. The AEC is something I will look into doing after I receive my YM.

After taking the YM Power course would there be any point in taking Power Boat 2? Or is it still a legal requirement for tenders?

Power boat 2 is useful to do ( and there is a commercial endorsement), often fast track YM,s do that course. I would suggest you have it.

Other things worth considering is a diving qualification.

The European SRC radio course is fully recognised, though the RYA ( if thats the one your doing) The RYA are changing the syllabus to have external examinations. There is no specific STCW95 radio course in Europe, as the harmonized CEPT/ETSI system which covers leisure and commercial, is the same.

The canadian course you mention I suspect is the GOC course, covering , GMDSS organization, VHF,MF/HF,sat comms, EPIRBS, SARTS,navtex and TOR. Its typically a 7 day course plus a 1-2 days exam. If you can afford the time & money ,I would do the best one.

Tags
offshore